Disabled HGV Driver (Unlucky Sod)

Just received a message from one of the drivers where I used to work in New Zealand about a co-driver on the firm who’s an amputee (right leg below the knee). Turns out the poor sod had an accident at home and now he’s broke the good leg!! :cry:

He could drive just as well as me or anybody and used to jump in the back of the trailer and hand ball stuff off like there was no tomorrow plus he was a good laugh…

Got me thinking though… what with HSE stupidity, insurance premiums, moronic atttitudes etc. what chance would a guy like him have of finding work in the UK??

I know for a fact that there are people in a similar position working within the industry over here but I’d imagine they’ve had to face certain discrimination at some point or another…

I now realise I’m not having such a bad day after all…

I’m a left leg above the knee amputee i work for a well-known crisp company delivering crisps all over the South West i have not faced any discrimination but when searching for a job you do have to knock on a hell of a lot of doors most people have an idea of what an amputee can do and are surprised when they meet one who can do more than they think. I do store deliveries so everything has to be dragged off the trailer by me there is a lot of walking about climbing in and out of the trailer along with all the other stuff like picking trailers up dropping trailers which I do very easily I think your friend will just have to be very persistent like IM

i used to work with a fella that had no hand it was lost in a industrial injury and taken off at the wrist, he could drive it aswell as any of us there, and they were all manuels…it was amusing watching him walk up to his truck in the morning with notes and clip board in one hand and put his handless arm up to open the door!! :astonished: the thing that impressed me the most was he could swap a trailer quicker then most of us.

oneleg:
I’m a left leg above the knee amputee i work for a well-known crisp company delivering crisps all over the South West i have not faced any discrimination but when searching for a job you do have to knock on a hell of a lot of doors most people have an idea of what an amputee can do and are surprised when they meet one who can do more than they think. I do store deliveries so everything has to be dragged off the trailer by me there is a lot of walking about climbing in and out of the trailer along with all the other stuff like picking trailers up dropping trailers which I do very easily I think your friend will just have to be very persistent like IM

I bet the hardest part was convincing DVLA you could do the job!

removed as it was off topic- only posted to make a flipant comment and will only derail a constructive discussion, - if you cant participate as an adult dont bother posting at all, you wont be missed

Many years ago , I was working from a small depot in Birmingham we used to use a lot of O/D’s one was a lad who had a 17 tonner who had lost his left hand in an accident and used the forklift type ball on the steering wheel matched to an attachment to his arm to steer - I was impressed by that- but a ■■■■ sight more impressed when he gave me a hand (no joke intended) to rope and sheet a load and he could with one hand tie a dolly knot quicker that me with two… and I used to pride myself on my ability to rope and sheet well and quickly- before we went bust he bought an artic and used to shunt our trailers from East leake and roped and sheeted every one… A disablity only means those who can, will adapt , he never asked or recieved any special treatment for the simple reason he was bloody good at his job