Disabled Drivers

JUst wondering how many H.G.V. or if you like L.G.V. Drivers you know that are a disabled driver have only ever seen one many years ago he had a VOLVO FH and he was in a wheelchair but he had a hoist to get him in and out of the cab how did he go on at an R.D.C where you had to hand your keys in with steps up to the goods in office the reason i am asking is because i am ( was ) an H.G.V. Class one driver myself but as i am now Disabled i cannot get a job driving but i can drive fine i think this is more for an employer to answer but answers from all are welcome many thanks.

Just to help you a bit more

3 Heart Attacks
Angina
rumatic knees
can’t do freezers/chillers
or maul with heavy weights
meals at same time daily
and lots and lots of tablets as well as a G.T.N Spray.

Just wont to know would you give me a job even van driving.

saw a lad in artic tipper a few years ago in Mountsorrel quarry…he only had one arm :astonished:

Does that mean you don’t have to pay £18 to get over the Severn bridge? Find a job going to South Wales and back every day you’ll be very employable:D

Hope you do find something though :slight_smile:

2 at our place (legs) & one at another site with no hand & gets his own motor, I don’t think any of them do manual work…

1 at our place only got 1 hand he is on general cant see him doing handballs etc…

We have a Falklands Vet with half a hand, and a driver with a arm that is only to the elbow.

They are in constant pain, have served our country, are quiet, decent loyal fellas, an absolute pleasure to know.They have my respect

Thanks to all for replying looks like the is hope for me out there yet many thanks :smiley: :smiley:

bigmiler:
JUst wondering how many H.G.V. or if you like L.G.V. Drivers you know that are a disabled driver have only ever seen one many years ago he had a VOLVO FH and he was in a wheelchair but he had a hoist to get him in and out of the cab how did he go on at an R.D.C where you had to hand your keys in with steps up to the goods in office the reason i am asking is because i am ( was ) an H.G.V. Class one driver myself but as i am now Disabled i cannot get a job driving but i can drive fine i think this is more for an employer to answer but answers from all are welcome many thanks.

3 Heart Attacks
Angina
rumatic knees
meals at same time daily

Hi,
Not wanting to be rude when was your last medical as with that list I am amazed they haven’t taken the licences away…All mine are gone due to heart problems including C1E.

The was a guy doing Europe for Carl brogan with only one hand untill last month. Now left the uk for sunny America.

I heard of a driver many years ago, I think he drove for Daysons of Southwaite… Only had one arm, He used to rope and sheet, using his teeth and good arm.

hi, my heartbeat plays up sometimes. took my hgv 1 away. don’t miss it though. ray.

In reply to 3 wheeler yeah the took my licence away but not perminantly it is only on revocation if ever i get fit enough ( like that will happen ) i can get it back out of work now due to my health problems been to lot’s of hauliers to see if i can get a desk job with them as i still have a lot to offer with all my experience but just get the door slammed in my face seems that 100 + hours a week was not good enough for them when i was a driver still there loss thanks to everyone that replied to my post. :smiley: :smiley:

There was a chap in T&D not long ago driving a T Cab Scania who was paraplegic (I think that’s the right one, he had legs but they didn’t work)

I mentioned this in my MPQC course last month and the instructor was dumb founded that anyone could drive without the use of their legs.

Unbelievably bigoted of him (the instructor) IMHO

Bale Bandit:
There was a chap in T&D not long ago driving a T Cab Scania who was paraplegic (I think that’s the right one, he had legs but they didn’t work)

I mentioned this in my MPQC course last month and the instructor was dumb founded that anyone could drive without the use of their legs.

Unbelievably bigoted of him (the instructor) IMHO[/quot

I have a few wheelchair using Pals due to the missus job, And two of them race sports cars of different types without use of legs at all and both are a lot quicker than me and more capable around the track.
I reckon its cause my Brain says 56 mph is the max…hahaha

I’m sure I read somewhere off a chap having an accident and becoming wheel chair bound and the company he worked for had a unit adapted for him with the pulley system etc into the cab and with all foot controls adapted to a stalk on steering wheel. If my memory serves me well and it happened then there are some decent people left out there to work for. Hope your health improves though bigmiler and best off luck for finding a job what ever it may be.

I have. seen a driver with 1arm think he was driving for Derrick Forester had a black volvo

bigmiler:

3 Heart Attacks
Angina
rumatic knees
meals at same time daily

There was a lad in a wheelchair with an FH at Barnard Castle Truck show at the weekend must be the same lad.

I’m classed as 25% disabled in manual dexterity & 15% in locomotion, on the grand scale of things this isn’t really much at all. I spent a few weeks in a wheelchair & if you’re in one for life, then I sort of understand the problems.

To put it into context for the knuckledraggerz, the 25% in manual dexterity means I can’t open my cab door the way the designer of the cab door assumed it would be opened, either from the inside or from the outside. You’d need to be extremely observant to see the subtle differance in the way I do it, or actually looking for the perceived weakness.

Someday, I would really like to meet & chat with a truck designer.

I hate the word ‘disability’, my injuries restrict me from doing some things in the way that most people expect & probably take for granted.

Despite being 15% disabled in locomotion, which is the official term for getting from A to B, I walk my dog at least 5mls daily. No tricks, I wrestle the lead from her jaws & we both walk upright under our own steam.

I find it incredibly amazing, that a lot of so called 100% able bodied people, would find it difficult to walk 5mls over & above what they’d walk during an average day.