Dirty work

Did my first abattoir run today bringing pigs back to our butchers, which was fine as such, but the butcher prefers to chop them up in to chunks in the back of the lorry before carting them off the the butchery proper. This meant blood, bits of bone and flesh and one brain (about the the size of an egg) littered the back of my lorry and I had to pressure wash it out. Got hit with a backspray in the face when I aimed the pressure washer at a corner although thankfully no solid lumps hit me.

Not nice, but I realise there are worse jobs out there. So, what’s the dirtiest/grimmest job you have done?

1)Going inside a sewage tanker to weld broken baffles.
2)Dismantling the Molex (suction/discharge) pump on same.
3)Steam cleaning livestock vehicles for MOT.

The one i’m doing now :open_mouth: …Carrying live chickens to the slaughter plant…but it’s the best paid job i’ve ever had so as they say,“where’s there’s muck there’s money!!!” :laughing:

When I first got HGV we used to take offal from Ensor’s in the Forest of Dean to Pointon’s at Cheddleton in skips. Also done lots of hanging meat to Smithfield etc. Now moving turkeys from farm to farm which means loading them from poultry sheds with a Moffett and then unloading them into new sheds. Bit s**ty and smelly but we got nice new kit and the money’s half decent.

Site work, in the winter your up to your ankles in mud, and in the summer the inside gets covered in dust :frowning:

‘Re-opening’ a grave!

When one partner dies, you bury them, when other partner dies, you re-open the grave (it maybe weeks, months or years between them dying), dig down to just above 1st coffin and bury them on top of the others’ coffin.

We had one when we had to re-open after only 6 weeks :open_mouth: and er, went through the first coffin!

You can give me any smell in the world… sewage, dead animals that have been lying for a while (done that too).

But NOT a human body!!!

How the hell do these forensic people do their job I really don’t know. Maybe have their sense of smell removed when taking the job!! :open_mouth:

‘Re-opening’ a grave!

When one partner dies, you bury them, when other partner dies, you re-open the grave (it maybe weeks, months or years between them dying), dig down to just above 1st coffin and bury them on top of the others’ coffin.

We had one when we had to re-open after only 6 weeks :open_mouth: and er, went through the first coffin!

You can give me any smell in the world… sewage, dead animals that have been lying for a while (done that too).

But NOT a human body!!!

How the hell do these forensic people do their job I really don’t know. Maybe have their sense of smell removed when taking the job!! :open_mouth:

washy jnr:
The one i’m doing now :open_mouth: …Carrying live chickens to the slaughter plant…but it’s the best paid job i’ve ever had so as they say,“where’s there’s muck there’s money!!!” :laughing:

Things don’t change much, best paid and first Class 1 job I had. Collecting live chickens from farms at night for a firm in Southport, very dirty, smelly and b****y hard work. Basically one man doing the job of two but I suspect that part of the job has changed.