Dirty lorries / traffic patina / weathered wagons

OvIP.jpg

Franglais:

ERF-NGC-European:

Franglais:

ERF-NGC-European:
Probably blind in the right eye :unamused:

Lost the wiper on a trailer door handle:
With that much muck on the front of the truck, I`m wondering whether he is an habitual tailgater?

I think it’s more to do with the driving style in Russia. Many roads are two way like our A-roads and relatively low speed limits for trucks are enforced; so they are able to travel closer together in dirty conditions. Wintry pictures of Russian lorries generally feature filth-plastered front ends. :wink:

I do see that traffic going in the opposite direction will chuck up spray. That will unavoidably get on the front of vehicles.
But still maintain that if youre travelling in someone elses spray, be that at 60mph or 20mph you`re too close.

That blue DAF seems to have a very dirty front, but not so bad on the sides. Doesn`t that appear to be caused by tail-gating ?
Tailgating may well be the habitual Russian style! :smiley:

You’re probably right :sunglasses: . Russia is one country I never got to. Very nearly did but the load was cancelled!

Back to its usual state, After after a long job wash & polish, Larry.

Had this gal n never washed in 6mths , didn’t look any different to the rest

I had this from new, she’s about a year old here, I definitely didn’t get the hose for her. Nice patina I reckon

coomsey:
Had this gal n never washed in 6mths , didn’t look any different to the rest
I had this from new, she’s about a year old here, I definitely didn’t get the hose for her. Nice patina I reckon

Proper job! :laughing:

I reckon modellers can justify mismatching the odd dirty trailer to a clean unit (and vice versa), especially if the unit is on traction work. Here’s a clean (ish) Merc NG I ran down to Ramsgate docks in the ‘80s to pick up this 40’ tilt that looked as if it had just crossed the Sahara on its way from Belgium :laughing: .

Me parked up on the Transylvanian Alps in Romania on my way down to the Middle East.

The real one.

Essex scania.jpg

Les Sylphides:
You mentioned the Tekno ‘dirty effect’ Middle-East series of models at the top of the page. They go for silly money though I’ve found some pictures of some of them online:

Essex scania.jpg

A nice couple of Marathon’s

Like most i’d prefer a spotless truck both in & out, 2 days without a wash running around east Anglia a couple of years ago…
You don’t need to leave the UK for them to get diiirrtyyy :slight_smile:
Then another during better weather.
2 shots of an 8 wheeler that was a few days old… after a couple of weeks they don’t have the same shine any longer no matter how hard you try!

8 wheel clean.jpg

8 wheel clean 2.jpg

Birdie4x4:
Me parked up on the Transylvanian Alps in Romania on my way down to the Middle East.

Classic arc of patina following the trajectory of muck thrown up by front wheels there :sunglasses:

SHUNT1986:
Like most i’d prefer a spotless truck both in & out, 2 days without a wash running around east Anglia a couple of years ago…
You don’t need to leave the UK for them to get diiirrtyyy :slight_smile:
Then another during better weather.
2 shots of an 8 wheeler that was a few days old… after a couple of weeks they don’t have the same shine any longer no matter how hard you try!

Too true! :smiley:

The last tipper that I drove never had a ‘proper’ wash as when we had to move premises there was no water at our garage and yard. I did give it a lick now and again at the quarry but that didn’t shift much! At our old yard and garage we had a pressure washer and I gave it a thorough going over each week including the chassis etc and then greased it but that ended when we had to move.

Pete.

B16809CA-3D59-44E8-BD52-D3B051EF953E.jpeg
Messey but not stuck :laughing:

Now cleanliness has always been a must with our trucks as the majority of what we carry is foodstuffs usually of the fresh type and pharmaceuticals, this I think is paramount for giving a good impression to customers and the wider audience. We are lucky as most of our drivers do care about the appearance of the truck they are driving and are even prepared to give there own truck a quick swill down whenever the opportunity arises.
For some years now over 30yrs in fact we have used Jennychem TFR with wax, goodness knows how much we have spent with them but it is a good product so we stick with it, rarely do you see one of our trucks filthy off which I am proud. We have a yard man who normally takes care of the job in hand & it’s not everybody’s job choice when it is heaving it down.
A clean truck on the road creates less attention from the Police etc as it looks like someone cares & if its clean it’s usually looked after well, Buzzer

I’ll look out some of my Russian pics, it’s a different type of dirt over there as is the salt they use, and very good it is too, you can drive at -30 with no problems at all

robthedog:
I’ll look out some of my Russian pics, it’s a different type of dirt over there as is the salt they use, and very good it is too, you can drive at -30 with no problems at all

Nice bit of Turk dirt there! I remember those Orkun F12s well in Turkey.

Buzzer

Buzzer:
Buzzer

Soviet-looking dirt! A lot of lorries returning from Kazakhstan ended up with front ends like that. To be fair, keeping a wagon clean on that sort of work was a loosing battle. North Africa wasn’t quite so bad because there were gadgies in the port at Tangiers who’d hand wash your unit and trailer for a very reasonable price.