directions

whilst stopped at some lights another truck pulled up along side and the driver asked if i knew where a certain industrial estate was.
i told him that i was,nt 100% sure ( not my area) but that it might be down there ( gave directions) as it rung a bell, anyhow turns out i was right but has anyone ever given directions out and then later on thought zb i was wrong ■■?

accidentally i mean, i bet theres a few who gave the wrong ones on purpose. :open_mouth:

I once sent a agency driver to east kilbride for a drop unknown to me the had moved premises to rutherglen about 3 months previous.I felt like a right knob when i found out, i refuse to give directions now :laughing:

i have been asked by a couple of foriegn drivers for directions and gave em and the thought were they right. :blush:

When foreign drivers stop on bends and proceed to wander in front of me waving a vague delivery note, I’ll tell them any old crap… :smiling_imp:

No, but have been given the wrong directions more times than i care to remember.

That driver got lucky insomuch that he found a helpful chap. A mate of mine, approaching another driver who had been stopped at some traffic lights whilst they had repeatedly changed and had barely left enough room to squeeze past, thought there might be somert up, stopped beside him and hollered through the window ‘Everythin’ alright Drive?’

The response back was ‘Mind your own [zb] business!’ :open_mouth: :laughing:

Once spend 20 minutes explaining the way to Sainsburys Rye Park to another agency driver at Bibby/Budweiser,even went as far as to draw him a little map and off he went a happy chap…as he went out of the door another driver turned to me and said “nice work Washy,you’ve just sent him to Rye Park but his delivery is for Allington you muppet!!” :blush: :blush:

“nice work Washy,you’ve just sent him to Rye Park but his delivery is for Allington you muppet!!”

So why didn’t he put right your humane mistake to the driver asking for directions as he overheard the conversation?

ossie:
“nice work Washy,you’ve just sent him to Rye Park but his delivery is for Allington you muppet!!”

So why didn’t he put right your humane mistake to the driver asking for directions as he overheard the conversation?

That’s what i said!!!

whilst in london on regent street my girlfriend was approached by 2 american tourists asking were regent street was,
too my horror she said exactly this “head to the bottom of this road, turn right and follow signs for cornwall, they will turn up eventually, then take a right at stone henge” shes a liability my girl

This is where Satnavs can come in handy, if I get asked for directions off foreign drivers , I just look at their delivery notes enter the address in the satnav, view route and show them, at least it gives them something to aim for. As I would hate being in a foreign country not knowing the lingo without a clue where to go. I have even been on Ind estates in my car and told them to follow me into places.

When I was green and wet behind the ears I made a blunder thanks to a crap address from the office and ended up in the village of Fradly down a dead end with an Artic rather than Fradley Park. Old chap got out his house, into his car and said follow me and took me right there. Said it happens all the time lol

A village I used to live in was called Upper Basildon, in Berkshire. We would be sat in the pub of an evening and about 2/3 a month a foriegn artic would pull up outside. Matey would come in and show us his delivery notes…He was always looking for the same company in Basildon, ESSEX :open_mouth: :unamused:

You should have seen their faces as we directed him back to the M4 and told him to go back round the M25 :smiley:

drew30:
A village I used to live in was called Upper Basildon, in Berkshire. We would be sat in the pub of an evening and about 2/3 a month a foriegn artic would pull up outside. Matey would come in and show us his delivery notes…He was always looking for the same company in Basildon, ESSEX :open_mouth: :unamused:

You should have seen their faces as we directed him back to the M4 and told him to go back round the M25 :smiley:

A bit like the container driver who pulled up outside the old Shippos brewery, in Nottingham, "wheres this gaff mate", he said, well, after a second look at his notes, he was informed that he was a bit out, he wanted MOTTINGHAM !!!

He had come all the way from the Isle of grain FFS :blush:

Proununciations of addresses cause problems too, driver asked me the way from Bradford to Keeley, so I said "never heard of it "
After looking at his delivery note I read KEIGHLEY,
As anyone local knows the GH is pronounced as TH in this towns name.

Muckaway:
When foreign drivers stop on bends and proceed to wander in front of me waving a vague delivery note, I’ll tell them any old crap… :smiling_imp:

how very helpful :unamused: if you are going to even speak to them why bother being a ■■■■ and telling them nonsense ? dont know how many times i’ve stopped people out on the continent and asked for directions and so far not had one act the ■■■■■■■■ and send me a wrong way. i’ve had people on scooters lead me through a busy city in spain and got me out on the motorway and someone in germany who got me to follow them in a car to where i wanted for example. to be even bothered to post about telling drivers any old crap and then think its funny… :imp:

ossie:
‘…he overheard the conversation…?’

That’s OK. We know that it’s rude to listen to other’s conversations but offering counsel having simply overheard is OK.

ossie:
‘…“nice work Washy,you’ve just sent him to Rye Park but his delivery is for Allington you muppet!!”…’

Good lad - it’ll help keep the wages where they are because they’d surely drop if every Muppet could do it right every time :wink:

drew30:

Upper Basildon’s a pain in the arse with a lorry at the best of times; maze of weight limits around Goring, Streatley and Pangbourne…

2 spring to mind…

When I did agency work at Arla Leeds, Hatfield Peveril depot was affectionately known as Hatfield by the office bods. I’ve lost count the number of times they didn’t give a newbie the full address, and off they’ve trotted to Hatfield in Hertfordshire. :open_mouth:

Another one which is in line with the foreigner reply above, and that was when I worked at Somerfield at Sherburn-in-Elmet, a crew of us would start at say 01.00-02.00 and be heading to either ■■■■■■■ or the North East. We’d all stop off for a coffee at the Shell garage at Scotch Corner, and the then night man, who was an ex copper in Leeds, had this aversion to our Asian friends. One morning while drinking said brew, and chatting with him, one of the aforementioned came in, and bearing in mind this was the Northbound side of the A1, and asked if he was going in the right direction to Huddersfield. The garage man proceeded to tell him to turn out of the garage, and keep going for about 100 miles, and it was signposted. After thanking him, said Asian brother set off. Exit stage left 3 Somerfield trucks and drivers…sharpish.

Ken.

Muckaway:

drew30:

Upper Basildon’s a pain in the arse with a lorry at the best of times; maze of weight limits around Goring, Streatley and Pangbourne…

I agree having done it many times…

It always amazed me that as they were going up a tiny lane, with the hedges brushing the mirrors on both sides, they didn’t think “this can’t be right…”