Dipped Headlights - vertical or deflected?

Been following a debate on a French forum concerning dipped headlights. English cars imported to France, like mine, dip to the left thereby annoying oncoming drivers and also making seeing the nearside curb difficult.

The question has been asked are there such things as vertically dipping lights?
I honestly can’t remember what my French truck had but I know that I have never stuck bits of card on it in England nor on my English trucks in France.
What does everyone else do? Card up, don’t bother, or don’t need to?

I’ve tried 3 times to add a third option ’ Don’t need to - vertical dips’, but it won’t have it. Need help from a Mod or maybe people can just post if they have.

Maybe this site is so intelligent that it knows there is no such thing, and won’t allow the question :open_mouth: spooky :confused:

Salut, David. :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Done - K

Spardo:
Done - K

Merci, K. :smiley:

Salut, David.

Not entirely sure what you’re asking, but on our Kosovo trip, we stuck gaffa tape on the headlight lenses to block out the extra illumination on the left-hand side.

It’s been mentioned, though, that some of the newer headlight technologies (perhaps only in cars) don’t work the same way, and that you have to fit different lenses/bulbs.

when i went on hols to france in car i got the stick on deflectors to block out the beam.worked well till it rained.

i got headlight wipers so they were knocked off :open_mouth: :laughing: :imp:

MrFlibble:
Not entirely sure what you’re asking, but on our Kosovo trip, we stuck gaffa tape on the headlight lenses to block out the extra illumination on the left-hand side.

It’s been mentioned, though, that some of the newer headlight technologies (perhaps only in cars) don’t work the same way, and that you have to fit different lenses/bulbs.

That’s exactly what I’m asking Mr F. Obviously you have chosen option 1 - sticking gaffer tape or card on the lenses.
What I really want to know is if there are now lights that dip the beam vertically downwards, rather than to one side. I see a couple of votes are for this option so, unless I haven’t expressed myself very well, it seems that there are.

Salut, David.

When I went to Germany in my car in the summer, I put those beam deflection things over my lights so the beam just goes forward rather than any direction, my lights are still just as bright but I can now drive both here and abroad and won’t blind anybody. I had originally thought the beam would go from left to right but this wasn’t the case and as the beam now basically goes straight forward, I left them on. As for trucks, I can’t remember what my dad said about his lights but going by the foreign trucks I pass on single carriage way roads, they definetly don’t have any sort of beam deflectors because I’ve almost come close to crashing many times due to being blinded beyond belief, especially by Dutch trucks and especially along the A15 from Lincoln to the M180 in the rain on the hilly and bendy parts!

Yes some of the newer H7 lamps have a switch similar to the load comensation switch that switches from Left to right dip, either on the dash or a knob on the back of the lamp unit.

Spardo:
What I really want to know is if there are now lights that dip the beam vertically downwards, rather than to one side.

LR 101’s can have R ,L or central dipping

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Spardo:
Been following a debate on a French forum concerning dipped headlights. English cars imported to France, like mine, dip to the left thereby annoying oncoming drivers and also making seeing the nearside curb difficult.

The question has been asked are there such things as vertically dipping lights?
I honestly can’t remember what my French truck had but I know that I have never stuck bits of card on it in England nor on my English trucks in France.
What does everyone else do? Card up, don’t bother, or don’t need to?

I’ve tried 3 times to add a third option ’ Don’t need to - vertical dips’, but it won’t have it. Need help from a Mod or maybe people can just post if they have.

Maybe this site is so intelligent that it knows there is no such thing, and won’t allow the question :open_mouth: spooky :confused:

Salut, David. :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Done - K

You have most just a whit sticker on the one light which nerves.
on the outside of your headlight is of the rills in Glas something like a triangle with corner in middn of Glas and wideside outside.just do with a Tape over that triangle to avoid that light from reflector comes to side to oncoming traffic.
Don’t do it upside or downside as you will need that yourselfe :laughing:

In over 16 years of going over the water in a truck i have never stuck anything to the headlamps, unless you count bug splat :smiley: , and it has never been a problem. Haven’t had any issues with the authorities over it and haven’t been flashed, as far as I can recall, by anyone thinking I have my lights on full beam.

Coffeeholic:
In over 16 years of going over the water in a truck i have never stuck anything to the headlamps, unless you count bug splat :smiley: , and it has never been a problem. Haven’t had any issues with the authorities over it and haven’t been flashed, as far as I can recall, by anyone thinking I have my lights on full beam.

One of the drivers in the Kosovo convoy didn’t cover up his headlamps, as he said it was “not his problem”. I went and did it for him as I got fed up of being hit by full beam from the trucks on the other side of the motorway flashing him…

When I did my continental period I used the same technique as Neil & the foreign motors coming over here.