Dilemma

Hi there

firstly congrats on the job ,
Ive worked for QTR in Reading and they are not a bad bunch of guys to work with always helpful and the boss is one of those that would never ask you to do anything he wouldnt do himself , I did trunking on class 1 evenings up to the hub in birmingham , and also have done multidrop on class 2 , they were very understanding on my first few trips out and didnt have a clue what I was doing, so never hassled me just let me get on with it and if I needed them on end of phone no probs ,
good luck with it all the best :smiley:

Hi Jennie, thanks for the reassurance, I’m sure it will all be ok, just got to learn how to use the curtains etc as never used curtains, I shall start browsing the forum for tips and what not in preparation!

You mentioned Sainsbugs … Bristol depot run 18t due to some of the smaller stores opening so it might be an Iplan to see if they would think about takin you in …failing that try the smaller places that deliver to the high street shops like the independent pets shops, companys that do own brand goods like the healthfood stuff .( what area are you in ■■?)

hiya matey
with regards to curtain siders you wont have a problem , there are a couple of different ways that the straps release ie some you just pull down and they open others have a little piece of metal that you pull on to release then unclip from under the wagon , there is a release to unlock the pole which you then just lift out and bobs your uncle you just pull the curtain back , but if you ask someone to show you when you start they are pretty easy , if you go out and get yourself a book called the Truckers Hand Book , most places stock it around 10 to 15 quid , that has loads of info in it that I found invaluable when first started out , has from places to get a good cheap meal , all service areas listed by roads and area, and has step by step pics for different curtain siders , different gear box set ups , coupling and uncoupling trailers , different tail lift operations and loads more little helpful things , would recommend getting a copy :bulb:
as I say you will be fine at QTR , guy up there with blue streak in middle of his hair he was always my muscle when I found I didnt have enough strength always willing to help , and Richard is a tramper up there sometimes does the shunting on a sat , he once helped me back the artic into the depot one sat morning, standing on my drivers steps as could not drive in as too many lorries in yard to swing round to get a good reverse into loading bays , took us nearly 30 mins in the end as was so tight lol , hes a mbr on here so you will prob meet him at some point , and you never know if you see a little girly coming in thats looks like shes bin dragged thru a hedge backwards you never know it might be me so come and say hello :smiley:

Well guys, you’ll be pleased to know that all went well on my first day.

Was out with a nice guy called Chris, 10 drops around Reading, then back to yard for lunch then out for another 4 drops, then collections, only 2 as we’d already picked 2 up on the way round. Started 7am finished 6.15pm not too bad.

I was driving the 18 tonner, 53 plate so had to learn analogue tachos along the way eeek.

Learnt how to use the curtains etc and they’re pretty straight forward as has been said.

The paperwork can be confusing at times but that will come within the next few days.

All in all, I’m quite happy with how it all went, I’m with someone else tomorrow so will see what the day brings.

Cheers

Jack