Digital tacho's

Hi all, Just need some quick guidance re above. Tomorrow will be 1st time I’ve used my shiny digi card, only been on analogue tachographs so far, and I dont really want to make a balls-up so maybe some of the more experienced guys can help here.

I presume there will be an option to input all data needed before I commence my shift…is this right? (stuff such as vehicle reg, opening mileage etc)

I think I’ll be ok when it comes to breaks, p.o.a etc, but do I need a printout at the end or is it not nessecary cos the data will be stored on the card?

I realise that this may be second nature to a lot of guys, but I am taking everyone’s kind advice from this site and asking if im not sure! :laughing:

Any other things that I should beware of or any other info that you think may be important will be gratefully received. Cheers guys!

Hi,
You don’t have to remember things like veh reg or mileage as it will do everything for you. Look up this very useful post by Paul@Midway in the FAQ’s trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20451
hopefully it will sort you out.
I’m agency doing the odd day here and there for different firms, so I take a printout at the end of the shift and keep it to give my agency as and when. The card keeps all the data on it so you do not have to print out if not necessary. Agencies should have card readers but some like mine don’t.
Good luck and hope you get a VDO digi to play with as the others are a pain the the a**e, until you get used to them.

Good Luck

cheers, stevel just what i was looking for, will take your advice and get a printout anyway (might as well i figure)

harey1983:
Hi all, Just need some quick guidance re above. Tomorrow will be 1st time I’ve used my shiny digi card, only been on analogue tachographs so far, and I dont really want to make a balls-up so maybe some of the more experienced guys can help here.

Hi harey1983, WELCOME.

Stevel has given you some excellent advice, which IMHO you’d do well to read carefully :wink:

The other option is to scroll when you hit the forum page, then you’ll come to a forum that’s primarily designed to deal with tacho type stuff :wink:

This link will take you there: CLICKY

Your question has been fully covered by the experts on drivers’ hours and tachographs, so there’s plenty of very good advice for you :smiley:

BTW, good luck mate :wink:

That guide is good but i don’t get the bit about having to manual entry.

Why does this have to be done? I thought the whole point in the digi tacho was the fact it does it all automaticaly so that you cant mess with it!

So let me get this straight… when you insert the card, you have to manual entry for the previous shift■■? Well in my case that could have been weeks ago!

will_c:

Why does this have to be done? I thought the whole point in the digi tacho was the fact it does it all automaticaly so that you cant mess with it!

So let me get this straight… when you insert the card, you have to manual entry for the previous shift■■? Well in my case that could have been weeks ago!

Hi will_c, Here’s another link, which should deal with your question. If you read it carefully, and note Coffeeholic’s answer you’ll know the score. :wink: LINK

I hope this helps. :smiley:

will_c:

Basically the tacho can’t possibly know what you’re doing before or after the card is inserted so that’s where manual entries in the tacho come in handy, saves you writing on and keeping a printout, if your shift starts when you insert the card and ends when you withdraw the card you wouldn’t normally need to do a manual entry except for the reasons given in the other thread (link), but for how many of us does the shift start and finish when we start using the tacho :wink:

stevel:
Agencies should have card readers but some like mine don’t.

Not true as far as I am aware. There is no obligation for the agency themselves to have a card reader, however the hauliers they agency send you to should have one if they have trucks with a digital tacho installed so they can copy the data off your card.

Paul

So let me get this straight…

you do a shift and remove the card. Next time you insert the card at the begining of your next shift then you have to tell it that you ve been on rest between the 2 shifts?

will_c:
you do a shift and remove the card. Next time you insert the card at the begining of your next shift then you have to tell it that you ve been on rest between the 2 shifts?

No. you tell it what you were doing between the time that you removed the card and commenced rest, which might be anything between ‘nothing’ and ten or fifteen minutes ‘booking off’'.

At the next insertion, you tell it what time you started and any activity(ies) between the time of starting and the time of insertion, which could be a combination of of Other Work, POA, or Break. Unfortunately, there is no ‘activity symbol’ for “bored out of my arse waiting for a vehicle”. :laughing: