Digital Tachographs - Stoneridge, AAAAAAAARRRGH!

Hiya folks,

Dazza’s back with a quick pre-Christmas poll…

Over the past couple of months, I have been driving a vast selection of 57 plate Scanias, MANs and Mercs, and having had a digital tachograph card in my possession for about a year, and having had a half-hour training session on how to use it I was confident that all would be well when the time came.

However, I didn’t bank on one thing…the dreaded STONERIDGE digital tachograph!!!

This unfortunate brute is fitted to all new Scanias (I guessed that Mr Stoneridge must have played Mr Scania off the golf course). Mercs, MANs and just about every other make of truck have opted for the Siemens VDO model.

Digicard users will know what I am talking about. The Siemens VDO is so easy, it’s like child’s play, with on-screen prompts telling you exactly what to do.

Using the Stoneridge monster is like an Englishman trying to read Chinese. God knows how many violations I’ve had this week.

Put simply, it is like comparing a kettle with a PC for ease of use.

I am currently working with over 20 blokes and to-a-man they ALL agree that they would choose the Siemens over the Stoneridge every time.

The trouble is Stoneridge are fitted as standard to one of the best trucks around — Scanias (IMO).

If you have used both types then please rate them accordingly and see if indeed they are worlds apart.

Also, if any VOSA or Traffic Officers are reading this (Proper coppers I mean, not 4x4 Wombles), let me know what you think.

Regards,

Dazza

Also, if any VOSA or Traffic Officers are reading this (Proper coppers I mean, not 4x4 Wombles), let me know what you think.

Thats not politically correct, you can upset their feelings you know :stuck_out_tongue:

Your Wombles wouldn’t be allowed to check digital or analogue tachos anyway

Dazza:
The trouble is Stoneridge are fitted as standard to one of the best trucks around — Scanias (IMO).

Crap tachos fitted to crap trucks, seems like a match made in heaven. :wink:

I’m about to go over to a digital tacho when I leave my 53 Scania. Are they easy to use or will I need a manual and a prayer? I have only just got my card through.
I have heard rumours that they round up the driving time etc

Beaker1976:
I’m about to go over to a digital tacho when I leave my 53 Scania. Are they easy to use or will I need a manual and a prayer? I have only just got my card through.

Me too, I have had my card for 18 months and never used it yet, does keeping it in my wallet all that time ensure it will work :open_mouth:

Judging by the earlier posts I’m glad I’m going into a MAN rather than a new Scania. It sounds like the starship enterprise!

Beaker1976:
I’m about to go over to a digital tacho when I leave my 53 Scania. Are they easy to use

Very easy.

Beaker1976:
or will I need a manual and a prayer?

Won’t hurt to have a look at the manual. Prayers don’t work

Beaker1976:

They do but not to the extent some drivers will have you believe. On a journey form A to B they do not have an adverse effect on your driving time, even if stuck in a traffic jam. In fact in that situation they can record less driving time than you actually do.

I’ve found from using one over the last couple of weeks where they do round up a little is while queuing, hooking a trailer or any activity where you only make a short movement. It seems to me if you make a movement which begins in one calendar minute and ends in the next it will record both minutes as driving. For example if you make a 45 second movement which begins at ■■ minutes and 50 seconds and ends at ■■+1 minutes and 35 seconds then both minute ■■ and ■■+1 will be recorded as driving and 2 minutes will be added to your total drive time. If you make the same movement beginning at ■■ minutes and 10 seconds, ending at ■■ minutes and 55 seconds hen just 1 minute will be added to your driving time.

If time is that big of an issue I’ve found that not starting to move until a new minute clocks round on the tacho display minimises the ‘overcharging’.

I’ve also found that if you go into a new calendar minute by not very much as you are stopping then switch to another activity it seems to count all that minute as the new activity and ignores the small amount of driving you did in that minute.

I reckon on my work it is overcharging me 5 or 6 minutes a day

Wheel Nut:

Beaker1976:

Me too, I have had my card for 18 months and never used it yet, does keeping it in my wallet all that time ensure it will work :open_mouth:

I had mine just over 16 months, it had been in my wallet all that time, before I used it for the first time and it worked OK.

Thanks for the help guys! I think I got all that :open_mouth: Do I need to keep printouts and hand them in like the charts or does my card store all the info?

Beaker1976:
Thanks for the help guys! I think I got all that :open_mouth: Do I need to keep printouts and hand them in like the charts or does my card store all the info?

Under normal operation there is no requirement to take printouts as it is all on your card. If the card is lost, stolen or damaged then you need to take a printout at the start and end of the shift. You do need to make sure there is a paper roll in the unit and have a spare or two with you. Not having sufficient paper is an offence.

Not having sufficient paper is an offence

Is that the same rule for when you stop at the side of the road for a number 2 :question: :wink: :laughing:

ROG:

Not having sufficient paper is an offence

Is that the same rule for when you stop at the side of the road for a number 2 :question: :wink: :laughing:

Dunno ROG, I’ll bow to your superior knowledge on the subject as I have never been in that situation. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

A few points but in no particular order;

like;
the display on the Stoneridge is better in that it gives you time in current activity. This resets to zero when you change mode for example driving to break/rest. Gone are the arguments as to whether you had 13 minutes or 16 minutes of break.

don’t have to replace back-up battery at 2 year check.

case completely sealed

Don’t like;

manual entries

there is no indication that time displayed is UTC or local time

cannot print and download at the same time

too easy to drop printout roll holder and stand on it :blush: :blush: It was no contest between my puny 123 Kg and a piece of plastic moulding

Hear rumours that the software controlling manual entries will change early next year, making it more user friendly :open_mouth:

You don’t have to take printouts as a matter of course. Only when the card is not working properly or when lost / stolen. You should make a manual record on the reverse of printout paper if the tacho fails. If you get delayed in traffic (eg accident) then when you get to the safe parking location take a printout and record the reason for the delay on it. Keep the printout with you for the production period and then return it to your employer. Make sure you carry enough printer paper to allow Police/VOSA to print records should they wish.

geebee45:
A few points but in no particular order;

like;
the display on the Stoneridge is better in that it gives you time in current activity.

You can get that on the Siemens as well can you not? From main display press down arrow once and time of current activity is displayed bottom right.

Coffee said;

You can get that on the Siemens as well can you not? From main display press down arrow once and time of current activity is displayed bottom right.

You’re right Neil. However, with the Stoneridge the details are on the default display, no need to press any buttons. If you select ‘activity time’ on a VDO whilst the vehicle is moving the display will revert to the default display after 10 seconds or so.

bang goes the sponsorship from stoneridge :laughing: :laughing: 6-0 :unamused:

pain in the arse to circle through the lot at the start of a shift, just put it in and drive it soon catches up :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Coffeeholic:

Wheel Nut:

Beaker1976:

I had mine just over 16 months, it had been in my wallet all that time, [/b]before I used it for the first time and it worked OK.
[/quote]
Aww come on Neil now who’s making it to easy :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Coffeeholic:

An interesting contribution to the debate from a site administrator. And what kind of truck do you drive Mr Holic?

Ah well, judging by the poll, I’m not the only one who hates them.

Dazza

Dazza:

Coffeeholic:

An interesting contribution to the debate from a site administrator. And what kind of truck do you drive Mr Holic?

Since the turn of the year it has been a Scania Topline but I finally managed to get shot of it a couple of weeks ago and for the next 5 months or so will be driving a DAF. Prior to the Scania it was a variety of trucks for 6 months and before that nothing but Volvo’s for 11 or so years. Prior to that it was a 2 series Scania. The 2 series Scania was a good vehicle and the Topline one of the worst trucks I’ve ever driven.

13 votes against and one supporting Stoneridge.

Come on, own up, which one of you likes the bleeders?

Must be an ■■■ fan!! :smiling_imp: