Digital Tachograph

Hello folks,
quick question that im getting differant answers to from the guys at work. Do you have to do a print off of your daily driving hours using the digital tacho, some say yes, some say no. I have never been told to do so as the information is stored on both the driver card and also the tacho hard drive. Any advise is welcomed. :slight_smile:

Welcome to TrucknetUK astonvillaandy :smiley:

astonvillaandy:
Hello folks,
quick question that im getting differant answers to from the guys at work. Do you have to do a print off of your daily driving hours using the digital tacho, some say yes, some say no. I have never been told to do so as the information is stored on both the driver card and also the tacho hard drive. Any advise is welcomed. :slight_smile:

The only time you need to do printout is if for any reason you need to do a manual entry on it, for instance if your driver card is lost/stolen/faulty or you had to drive over the permitted hours due to unavoidable circumstances, otherwise there is no legal requirement to do printouts.

As you say the data is on both the driver card and the VU.

Some companies/agencies ask for printouts but that’s a company/agency thing not a legal thing :wink:

tachograph:
Welcome to TrucknetUK astonvillaandy :smiley:

astonvillaandy:
Hello folks,

The only time you need to do printout is if for any reason you need to do a manual entry on it, for instance if your driver card is lost/stolen/faulty or you had to drive over the permitted hours due to unavoidable circumstances, otherwise there is no legal requirement to do printouts.

As you say the data is on both the driver card and the VU.

Some companies/agencies ask for printouts but that’s a company/agency thing not a legal thing :wink:

I would add, that if the agency does want printouts, ask them to supply you with the correct printer rolls

astonvillaandy:
Hello folks,
quick question that im getting differant answers to from the guys at work. Do you have to do a print off of your daily driving hours using the digital tacho, some say yes,

Ask the ones saying yes if you have to take copies of analogue charts at the end of each shift and unless they are really stupid they should say no. Then ask why you would have to take copies of the digi data then?

I have several questions about the digital tacho. I had a new lorry delivered today so as of today, I’m on a digital card. I was advised to leave my card in the tachograph & only remove it at the end of my working week. Is this OK?

I’d also like to know the best download kit to buy & where to buy it from, I guess I’ve got 28 days to get this sorted out.

Advice would be appreciated.

BB

Basilbrush:
I have several questions about the digital tacho. I had a new lorry delivered today so as of today, I’m on a digital card. I was advised to leave my card in the tachograph & only remove it at the end of my working week. Is this OK?

As long as at the end of each shift you switch the mode to rest and go into the menu and enter the end country. At the start of the shift go into the menu and enter the start country. This is a requirement even if it is always UK as the country and failing to do so can bring a fixed penalty

Has anyone got a link to a good website that shows the rules and regulations of using a digital tacho, my ‘transport manager’ doesn’t have a clue and is of no help at all. I’d like to know the basics and what i can or can’t do. For example im told to take out my card at the end of each shift even if im on a night out!!
Here’s what we were told when we took delivery of our new vehicle with digi tacho last month:-
“put your card in, operate as normal tachograph and take your card out at the end of the shift”
No wonder the industry is falling on its feet with ‘managers’ like these at the helm!!

astonvillaandy:
“put your card in, operate as normal tachograph and take your card out at the end of the shift”
No wonder the industry is falling on its feet with ‘managers’ like these at the helm!!

In theory what you were told here was right. You can leave your card in between shifts if nobody else needs to drive the vehicle. If you want to leave your card in then good practice could be to do it only when on duty with the vehicle as the sole driver. ie, if you are the only driver and night out all week, leave it in, or if you are days only and at base every night and going home, eject it.

If leaving it in don’t forget to record your start country and end country as its a requirement any many people forget!

Best of luck with it anyway, when you get used to using them they arn’t as scary as many believe!

astonvillaandy:
Here’s what we were told when we took delivery of our new vehicle with digi tacho last month:-

That’s pretty much it, although I would change it to put it in when you take over the vehicle and take it out when you are finished with it whether that is after 1 or 6 shifts.

astonvillaandy:
Has anyone got a link to a good website that shows the rules and regulations of using a digital tacho

As far as your original question is concerned there are no regulations as to whether you should take the card out or leave it in.

Obviously if the vehicle is likely to be used by someone else you should remove the card but otherwise it’s your choice.

Personally I’ve always taken mine out, that way I don’t have to bother about forgetting to enter the country initials or put it on rest or bother about the fitters taking the vehicle to the garage whilst my card is still in, but it’s really whatever suits you.

tachograph:
Personally I’ve always taken mine out, that way I don’t have to bother about forgetting to enter the country initials or put it on rest . . . . .

That’s why I always eject every night (I tramp Mon-Fri, UK only) The machine then prompts you as to what you need to do, likewise in the morning when I put it back in.

Sorry to steer the thread off track but thanks for the advice & replies. I guess it’ll take a little getting used to not having to fill out charts every day but I got it round my neck in a bad way today. I only wanted to go into the menu to sign of & ended up with an ejected card & a print out I didn’t want. I’ll have another go on monday.

BB

Basilbrush:
Sorry to steer the thread off track but thanks for the advice & replies. I guess it’ll take a little getting used to not having to fill out charts every day but I got it round my neck in a bad way today. I only wanted to go into the menu to sign of & ended up with an ejected card & a print out I didn’t want. I’ll have another go on monday.

BB

No need to go into the menu to sign off just eject the card and next time you insert it do a manual entry to cover any work you did whilst the card was out :wink:

The digital tachograph can take a little getting used to but that’s the same with most things new.