Digital Tachograph....

We’re getting some new Volvo Fm tractor units in a few weeks and they all have digital tacho units in them.

I’ve never even seen one of these things, so just a bit of guidance is needed as to what to do with it. I’ve sent off for my driver card, so that should be arriving in the next 2 to 3 weeks, but I have questions like “what do I have to do when I put the card into the machine?” and “do I need to do a print out every evening when I finish?” and “does it tell you how much driving/rest/other work etc you’ve done?” and “are there any pitfalls I need to know about?”.

I have used the search facility (for those fond of criticising others less computer literate and just looking for some friendly advice) but I’m obviously too thick to interpret the results :wink: because I couldn’t find a thread with the basics on. Ta!

:smiley:

Here’s a guide to using the digital tachograph

Under normal circumstances you don’t need to do a printout.

You only need to do a printout if for any reason you need to write a manual entry on a printout.

If I remember correctly you can hit the OK button whilst driving to see how much driving/break you’ve had.

When stationary you hit the up arrow to go into the main menu.

You need to be aware they are not set up for the latest rules and will incorrectly re-set the driving timer for 3 breaks of 15 minutes or two breaks when the first isn’t at least 15 minutes and the second at least 30 minutes - 20 minutes and 25 minutes for example. They also wrongly count POA as break and will re-set the driving clock for POA, or a combination of POA and break, totalling 45 minutes.

The unit will display elapsed driving time but it won’t always be correct due to the above so you should keep track of the amount of driving done and when breaks are due without relying on the machine, in other words just as you would with a non digi tacho…

Thanks guys…I guess I’ll just stick the card in and do everything as normal then (i.e. keeping a separate record of how long I’ve been driving etc. and bang the breaks in when required).

I’ve got a “big time” thingy, won’t throw it away just yet :wink:

I couldn’t remember where I saw this before, but a Google search through up the :

Drivers short operating instructions — DTCO 1381

See FAQ’s :wink:

Logical or what?

:smiley:

i used mine for the first time on friday.
it was piece of pis*
just give it time to gather your detail and away you go.
press ok to agree with whatever it says.
dont do like a friend of mine.when he scrolled for the country of operation,he oked vatican city.
all you need to remember is to change your mode to rest when doing your 45 min break.
it will go back on drive itself when you move the truck.
they are good in some ways.
after 6 hours on duty fri,i had only done 3.58 driving.
i probably would have thought i had more driving done.
its doesnt register time stopped at lights etc as driving.
it shows all your driving time on the screen.
only downfall.
if you want to tip early in the morning,you cant if you havnt had your 9 off.
i tipped all the years off the card if it suited me.
thats finished now.
i have to say,i like it so far.
but that could change as time goes on.

greg50:
i used mine for the first time on friday.
it was piece of pis*
just give it time to gather your detail and away you go.
press ok to agree with whatever it says.
dont do like a friend of mine.when he scrolled for the country of operation,he oked vatican city.
all you need to remember is to change your mode to rest when doing your 45 min break.
i have to say,i like it so far.
but that could change as time goes on.

Just a quick question when you are doing your vehicle checks in the morning and handbaling loads, I take it you just set menu to cross hammers Yes then when you drive off again it will automatically record driving time.

Basically it will be the first time I use my card tomoz but this manual entry is confusing me I take it I just put the card in and drive off after checks etc ■■?

Thanks

The Declaration:
Just a quick question when you are doing your vehicle checks in the morning and handballing loads, I take it you just set menu to cross hammers Yes then when you drive off again it will automatically record driving time.

Thanks

That’s correct, if you leave the tacho on cross hammers (other work) it will automatically record driving and revert back to other work when you stop driving, you just need to remember to change the mode for breaks and rest.

The Declaration:
Just a quick question when you are doing your vehicle checks in the morning and handbaling loads, I take it you just set menu to cross hammers Yes then when you drive off again it will automatically record driving time.

Basically it will be the first time I use my card tomoz but this manual entry is confusing me I take it I just put the card in and drive off after checks etc ■■?

Thanks

its better to put your card in as soon as you put the keys in to start it up for your checks, apparently VOSA like to see some form of other work before driving to show you have done your checks,

and yes it does switch to driving as soon as you drive off. you MUST remeber to put it to break when on your break, even if you put it to break then moved it 1ft, it will revert to other work if you dont put it back to break.

Thanks for the speedy reply’s folks

Can any of you guy’s help with my thread PLEASE !!!

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=30447

Thanks

Thanks for all the responses and stuff…as it turns out now, it looks like I’ll be getting one of the 06 plated trucks with an “old fashioned” analogue tacho! :sunglasses: :smiley: :wink: :laughing: