Digital Tachograph woes

Should somthing be done about digital tachos.

Was working last night, went onto the M8 at 2000 from the Clydeside Expressway. sitting at 10mins on my digi card and sat in gridlock traffic. M8 was closed at Jct 15. Traffic stationary have to move a wee bit every so often.

Eventually at Jct 17 nearly 1hrs 45mins later got moving again properly.

In 1hr 45mins i covered a distance of 0.8miles yet my driving time was now sitting at 1hr 20mins.

1hr 10mins added onto my digi card.

Was a Siemens digi tachograph, i tried moving for a second stop, but as soon as i started moving it would add one at least a minute. Started counting it at one point i moved for 20secs and it added on two minutes.

I was doing a trunk last night which ended up at the 10hour mark having to stop and get another driver come pick up the truck at hamilton services, which even with the delays on an old analogue tachograph would have maybe added on 15mins instead of 1hr 10mins.

I don’t see the problem, in fact the digi tacho actually saved you some driving time last night.

You were on a motorway in heavy stop, start, traffic for 1 hour 45 minutes and whatever way you look at it all that is driving time. It’s not just driving time when the wheels are turning and using an analogue tacho it would be 1:45 driving yet the digi tacho only counted 1:10 as driving, a saving of 35 minutes.

Really the only way parts of the period you spent in the traffic jam are not counted as driving time would be if during longer stops you turned the engine off and altered the mode switch to Break, which you can do with both digi and analogue tacho units. If you didn’t do that then the entire 1 hour 45 minutes is driving time.

as above. at the end of the day you are still driving even if stuck in a traffic jam its not as if you can get out and get a cup of tea. unless you have a kettle on board :laughing: the way i see it you are are driving your sat at the wheel.

I know alot of people have made comments about this and for me even though you are in a traffic jam the mins are counting. and besides at least when you get back to the depot you can say I have not got any drive time left to do that job when they try to cram another one in :laughing: