digital tacho

3 months i was given the new dtacho, plus i think false info.is there anywhere i can get info for this devise

logga8:
3 months i was given the new dtacho, plus i think false info.is there anywhere i can get info for this devise

Let me see if I’m translating this question correctly.

3 months ago I was given the new digi-tacho card. I think there is false info on the card. Is there anywhere I can check the info?

Firstly, where did the card come from?
Your boss presumably, so you would have to sign the application form. Hopefully you checked the info on it, if it was completed for you, before signing it.

The info printed on the front of your digi-tacho card is all the info it contains when it arrives in your hands. If that is wrong you will need to contact your card issuing authority to get it corrected.
Once it has been used, it also contains roughly 28 days of driving info in much the same way as carrying 28 days worth of tacho discs. I don’t think that info can be changed. After 28 days I believe, the tacho info is overwritten, starting with the oldest info. So your card always has your last 28 days driving info on it. As a result of this, the info on your card has to be uploaded onto a computer at least once every 4 weeks, to comply with the regulations concerned with storing tacho info for 2 years.

To check what info is contained on your card, put it a digi-tacho and ask it for a print out. I think it’s that easy.

Simon,

That’s not quite correct (but it is close!).

The memory capacity of the card is designed to hold at least 28 days of driving data, but this will vary according to how complicated your driving patterns are. In many cases the card will hold a hundred days information or even more before the oldest information is overwritten (but you shouldn’t rely on this). Mine got to 107 days before it started to ‘lose’ the oldest data.

VOSA require that the data should be downloaded and archived every 3 weeks. Presumably, this is because if there is any problem with the data, you then have another week to download it again before there is any chance of losing it.

The problem with digital tacho printouts is that they aren’t very easy to read. I got a package for just under £100 from a company I found online (www.smartcardfocus.com) that includes a card reader and PC software. This automatically downloads the card data for storage and allows you to view a summary and print it off. Very easy to use and once you get used to the idea, much more convenient (and cheaper) than storing a whole lot of tacho charts

Erger Does that software allow you to see any infractions on the card…?
I mean,looking at it from a boss’s point of view,you could have a fleet of drivers caning it every day for months & have no way of knowing until VOSA nicks you…

Harry,

It doesn’t do any analysis but it does let you see details of your driving activity (and you can print this off, if you like). So it doesn’t point out any infringements - you have to look at the records and work this out for yourself. This isn’t a big problem for me - it’s a lot easier than trying to work this out from the old wax charts anyway.

It’s not an expensive bt of kit, so it’s not fancy, but it is very easy and clear to use. If things got complicated (not likely in my case, but possibe if you’re using it for several drivers) you could always email the files to an anlaysis bureau.