Digital tacho,s = speeding fines?

we,r getting 2 new wagons this week and my boss is goin round telling everyone that that these trucks have satalite trackers fitted inside the the digital tacho computer which inturn can work out what road your on and wether your breaking the speed limit for that road. This than results in you recieving a speeding ticket thou the post. can this be true? Has anyone else heard of these tacho,s or stories to same effect? [/b]

Yeh its true they can check if you have paid your TBV licence and Council tax but I think they have to pay more for that information.

Place I used to work had satelite trackers fitted in all the vehicles.

They werent tied into the tacho’s as they had them in the small vans as well.
It was a small box supplied by Vodaphone which was tied into the speedo and the radio. One of its little tricks was to bleep if you went over the speed limit.

They put these in then about 3 months later they installed a new tracking software which showed where you were on a map and it could do a trace for each vehicle for the past 12 days showing all sorts of info.

Hope they haven’t given you those! not because Im suggesting anyone might be doing something they shouldnt, its just that every time you get stuck in traffic you have to explain your “half hour stop” to some idiot who was watching the map!

AJ

We’ve got tomtom sat track, it records speed,location etc every 2-3 mins.
I read somewhere that speed data from this is not accepted by the courts, but
i’ll bet if you produce clear evidence no reasonable magistrate would ignore it.

I don’t know whether this system could be used as evidence against you.

EBAY

:sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Seeing as you are your own boss Denis, it makes me wonder as to the circumstances of you finding that on Ebay. Is it the jealous wife who’s tracking you? or someones else’s jealous husband■■? :laughing:

it’s a load of bull.
digital tacho’s can only record 24 hours worth of speed trace before being erased.
if your company have sat tracking then the information is for their use only and is not linked to any police or speed enforcement unit.

Also how to confuse a tracker.

Drive in one direction then turn round go back down same road. For some reason that baffles our tracker to the point of boss ringing up to ask why your in such and such place when you should be elsewhere!

I know that satellite tracking in one form can tell what the speed limit is for the road you are on and can be made to give audible warnings in the vehicle if the speed is exceded - I saw this technology used on a “road rage” programme where some posh bird could not stop speeding and Lisa Dawn (think thats her name) had the car wired to the system.

sorry but vosa can use the trackers against you in court, ask any of the 100+ murfitt drivers that were done a few years ago.
one of them chorley phil was done solely on evidence from the tracker.
it was common practice to leave the vehicles at wrexham for the weekends but the lads booked off at manchester so they got paid for the weekend, it was common practice to repay “favours” done on the continent.
phil had 4 charges in court all relating to the vehicle being signed off in manchester instead of wrexham where the tracker showed it to be.
cost him about £500 all in

I cannot see how or why the ministry or police would have access to tracker info.

our vehicles are tracked and boss does occaisonally throw a wobbly over dong 46 in a 40 limit .

But this info is not available to authorities (except in unusual circumstances) and is intended for security more than anything.
If you are really worried then… one of our drivers was called in to explain why he had been doing 70+mph on the M1.
After denying it the company then cross checked his tacho, and found that he hadn’t exceeded 54 all night. So much for accuracy.!!

del949:
I cannot see how or why the ministry or police would have access to tracker info.

our vehicles are tracked and boss does occaisonally throw a wobbly over dong 46 in a 40 limit .

But this info is not available to authorities (except in unusual circumstances) and is intended for security more than anything.
If you are really worried then… one of our drivers was called in to explain why he had been doing 70+mph on the M1.
After denying it the company then cross checked his tacho, and found that he hadn’t exceeded 54 all night. So much for accuracy.!!

This is a “feature” of the way that GPS works. With a good signal, they are fantastically accurate at measuring a constant speed over a period of time, but as the various satellite signals vary in strength (as you move), they can give short-term readings that are quite significantly wrong. The poorer the signal (i.e. the fewer satellites it’s tracking), the worse the error can be.

For this reason, I would severely doubt that GPS tracking data would stand up in court for a speeding conviction, at least for a short distance. Averaged over a longer distance (10+ miles), it might be possible.

However, GPS tracking data should be sufficient for proving location (i.e. you were on this road), except where two roads run close together, and the tachograph (digital or analogue) might be admissible as evidence of your speed.

throw a wobbly over dong

Sounds like instructions for condoms to me

i can only go by what i witness with my own eyes and ears del, i was in court with him when he, burton paul & stockport steve were all dealt with on the same day, paul only had 2 charges and i’m pretty sure his were the same as phils, they both ended up with £125 per charge.

biggusdickusgb:
i can only go by what i witness with my own eyes and ears del, i was in court with him when he, burton paul & stockport steve were all dealt with on the same day, paul only had 2 charges and i’m pretty sure his were the same as phils, they both ended up with £125 per charge.

I’m not disagreeing with you; from what you said, the trackers were being used to prove their location, not their speed.

Mr Flibble beat me to it.

Stupot would you accept that "Wobbly over a dong " was a typo?
but there again you don’t know my boss :laughing:

Of Course your boss can use this free Mobile Phone Tracker to see where your at :wink:

Mobile Phone Tracker

My brother has been fitting trackers to taxi’s, security vans, buses, coaches and in more recent years lorrys. Last year he fitted trackers to a fleet of tippers, one of the drivers objected on the grounds of invasion of privacy (or something similar). He was sacked, took the company to court, won and was reinstated (less tracker :smiley: ) with backdated wages. I doubt you would get away with this if you worked for securicor (Group4 maybe :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: )

alsam7:
we,r getting 2 new wagons this week and my boss is goin round telling everyone that that these trucks have satalite trackers fitted inside the the digital tacho computer which inturn can work out what road your on and wether your breaking the speed limit for that road. This than results in you recieving a speeding ticket thou the post. can this be true? Has anyone else heard of these tacho,s or stories to same effect? [/b]

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
That was doing the rounds last year .

I have read this thread with great interest.

A previous company i worked for had trackers fitted for the benefit of being able to let customers know how close their deliveries were.

However, as i reported last year, i was “clocked” doing 49mph at Bracknell near the sports centre. The speed camera was located between the 2 roundabouts and was in the layby/service road near KFC.

I was given the SAT tracker printout which showed 35mph, this was what i knew i was doing as that camera is there 99% of the time.

Went to court and successfully defended myself using the SAT info…!!

So it is possible to use Trackers as there are numerous reports of inaccurate speed camera offences.