Digital tacho question

Im not sure where I should post this, so if its in the wrong section then the mods can move it :blush:
Anyway, Ive just filled out a form to apply for a digi card, just waiting for my licence to come back from the DVLA now… :smiley:
I know that you have to carry a few spare paper rolls if you have a digi card but do they come with the first issue tacho or do I need to buy a few from somewhere, if so where do I buy them from?

No rolls do not come with your card.
The employer who your working with should sup you with a roll. there will really be no need to print out your shift unless asked to do so .
you can buy from most truck stops motorway service’s even on e-bay or from our advitisers. your only required to carry one spare roll.
before you start your shift check how much there is left on the roll in the truck…

tachodisc.co.uk <<<<<Click here

nick2008:
No rolls do not come with your card.
The employer who your working with should sup you with a roll. there will really be no need to print out your shift unless asked to do so .
you can buy from most truck stops motorway service’s even on e-bay or from our advitisers. your only required to carry one spare roll.
before you start your shift check how much there is left on the roll in the truck…

tachodisc.co.uk <<<<<Click here

Cool, thanks!!!

nick2008:
there will really be no need to print out your shift unless asked to do so.

Although there’s no requirement to print out your shift, I think it’s a good idea to do so as a way of monitoring your hours yourself, unless you buy a downloader for use at home. I always keep my printouts as I have no software or downloader at home.

Just out of interest, there is NO requirement to carry spare rolls. The regs state that you must be able to provide a printout to an enforcement officer. That may mean a spare roll is a good idea - but it’s not a requirement. Not a big deal, but another example of how this industry runs on rumours!

Peter Smythe:
Just out of interest, there is NO requirement to carry spare rolls. The regs state that you must be able to provide a printout to an enforcement officer. That may mean a spare roll is a good idea - but it’s not a requirement. Not a big deal, but another example of how this industry runs on rumours!

Again, this is a bit of a hoo ha. The book of rules from the transport office website (see below) says on page 34 “When driving a vehicle that is equipped with a digital tachograph, drivers should: carry sufficient supplies of type-approved print roll on board the vehicle so that a print out can be produced at an enforcement officer’s request”

As it’s in the big book of rules, do you class this as a law, or just a common sense “its a good idea to…”?

transportoffice.gov.uk/crt/r … Europe.pdf

I think you can get a fine if found not to have a spare roll with you.There ain’t no need for you to buy the rolls,companies you work for will supply them for you,if they tell you different then just tell them you will put x amount of hours on your timesheet to cover the cost.Soon change their minds.lol I have a spare one in my bag plus i leave one in the cab incase it’s an agency driver in my unit at night,that way he is covered incase they get stopped.

Yor are correct kitkat, it is required to carry enough
paper that they officers can do a print out,if they are
not equipped with the required equipment to download the information from the Digi-tachograph.

Adam_Mc:

nick2008:

Although there’s no requirement to print out your shift, I think it’s a good idea to do so as a way of monitoring your hours yourself, unless you buy a downloader for use at home. I always keep my printouts as I have no software or downloader at home.

I wouldnt bother with daily print outs. Everything is stored in your card and when you insert your card it tells you your weekly/fortnightly drive, also why not just have a diary and write in there what hours your doing each day wether it be for driving/shift/poa/Other Work etc??

You must have some slips of paper lying around. Only time I make a print out is when im on a digi, and thats rare and its just to remind myself when I look back at my cards/diary that I actually did use a digi that day and not lost an analogue card…

scottishcruiser:

Adam_Mc:

nick2008:

I wouldnt bother with daily print outs. Everything is stored in your card and when you insert your card it tells you your weekly/fortnightly drive, also why not just have a diary and write in there what hours your doing each day wether it be for driving/shift/poa/Other Work etc??

You must have some slips of paper lying around. Only time I make a print out is when im on a digi, and thats rare and its just to remind myself when I look back at my cards/diary that I actually did use a digi that day and not lost an analogue card…

I agree, it must be a pain keeping all those printouts tidy and in some sort of order.
I use a notebook and make notes on daily driving etc.
It’s useful and easy to keep tidily and also easy to check back on.
If I need to take a printout, I can staple it into my notebook at the appropriate day.

You’re not quite correct in your assertion that there is no requirement to carry a spare roll Peter.
You’re required to carry sufficient paper for an enforcement officer to be able to print out what they want.
If they want 28 days printouts, that’ll take a good proportion off a roll. If you have already used half of the only roll you’ve got for your personal records, you’ll probably run out.
Run out before the complete 28 days of printouts demanded and you’ve demonstrated that you don’t have sufficient paper.
It’s much easier to carry a spare roll than risk running out at a crucial moment.