Digital tacho question

Is it legal to drive a truck fitted with a digital tacho, if you don’t have a card, but the truck is carrying the company’s own equipment, so no profit is made by it?

The reason I ask is my dad has a full HGV licence, medical and so on, but no digi card. A 6 wheeler with a brimec body is sitting in the depot waiting for somebody to start shifting the forklifts to the new depot just up the road, but as far as we know the only person from the depot with a licence is my dad. Any ideas?

It is not legal.

There are zero concessions such as you described.

As far as I know, you cannot drive a digi-equipped vehicle until you have
a digicard in your name.

Lost,stolen,inoperative type cards: you can drive for up to 15 days using the
printed-roll chart for records.

In short NO, also if the 6 wheeler is a hire vehicle I believe your company has to have at least a restricted ‘O’ license.

Might be easier/cheaper/legal to get a haulier to do it.

All the company’s vehicles are hired on a long term basis, vans (600 of them) are on 3.5 year contracts, trucks are 7 year. All the workers are insured for every company vehicle as far as i know.
Looks like S.C Transport are going to be getting some more work from Barloworld then…

can you not drive it without a tacho in if it is travelling less than 50km from base?

it just depends what base you are calling base if you are moving yards! :wink:

Giblsa:
can you not drive it without a tacho in if it is travelling less than 50km from base?

it just depends what base you are calling base if you are moving yards! :wink:

If under 7.5t i believe, but the killer is the VDO, it can’t be driven by a non digicard driver whatever the size.

If its yards, why not drive the flt’s■■? I suppose thats been considered though.

or just get someone off here that is looking for work in your area and has a digi tacho to come and do it for what ever price you can agree on■■?

there are plenty looking for work and not being able to find it!!!

surely it wont be that hard to get someone to “just jump in it” for a few quid

The new yard is a few miles up the road, across the A1 and a up dual carriageway, and some of them are in quite a few bits, driving them theres isnt an option. I doubt barlows will just pay someone “a few quid” to do it, they’re a global company, with huge contracts, they tend not to employ randoms :laughing: :laughing:

The work will probably get contracted out to SC transport, theyve taken over most of the transport since the birtley wagon driver retired, and the truck was sent to another depot.

This six wheeler is an 07, supposed to have gone to a Scotland depot, but its hardly turned a wheel yet… Huge waste of money really, but too many managers seem to confuse big businesses