Digital Tacho confusion

Sorry for the Luddite question, but Ive had so many different people giving different answers round my place I don’t know who to believe and I pick up my new truck on Wednesday so I need to get it figured out.

Ive read all posts here I can find and watched loads of videos, but Im still confused.

Basically regards manual entries in the morning.

Here is the scenario.
I get to work at 7.30am, the very first thing I do is get into the truck and start it up, then read my load sheet and start loading for the day which takes 10 minutes or so. Also do my daily checks of the vehicle at this time.
We don’t have any facilities in the yard, so there is no reading the paper for half an hour or drinking tea, Its straight in and start work.

I then tootle off and do my rounds and come back to the yard, lets say at 3pm. I then unload what Ive picked up, again about 10 minutes, park up, turn the truck off and go home.

This happens the same pretty much every day although the end time will vary anywhere between 9am and 6pm! Other than loading and unloading, I don’t do any yard work, or any paperwork on shift in the morning or afternoon when I return.

I was led to believe that I needed to do a manual entry every morning to cover what I did after the end of my driving the day before, but as stated above, the card will be removed as the very last thing I do before I go home, and inserted as the very first thing when I start, so surely I don’t need to do this, as all the time between removal and insertion is my own free time and the tacho will auto record the other work Im doing when parked up and unloading/loading for those two 10 minute durations.

Can someone please clarify as its hurting my head!

Surely, if you put the card in as the first thing you do, before anything else, i.e. straight after clocking in and you remove it after all duties, just before clocking out and going home, then no manual entries are needed.

if you clock on say at 6am your tacho should show that start at 6am even if its only 2min .
if you clock out at 5pm your tacho should show that too even if its only mins…

it just shows good record keeping.

you say you arrive and start the truck … the 1st thing you should do is put your card in…

Simple really, all you need to do in the morning is inform the tacho that you went on rest when the card was ejected the day before
best you tell us what tacho you are using and you wil get a more detailed response

just a thought, How do you dip the oil if the engine is running

NO need for manual entries as you would only be recording your daily rest.
IF you are the sole driver of the vehicle,and nobody uses it after you go home,why take your card out any ways as long as you switch onto rest your tacho will do the rest
If you share a vehicle with a night man take your tacho out and then his tacho will record any short coming between your last shift and start of your next shift.

As for no facilities what do you do if you happen to get stuck in the yard for some reason or other ■■

My advice is to learn how to do it and look at it as
a get out of jail card.

If you do get stopped by da man then manual entries
will show what a compliant drone you are and as long
as you have done them correctly (not self inflicted infringements :imp: )
it should ease your passage so to speak.

Just imagine if you get stopped by a DVSA bod who has
a bee in the britches about manual entries,it could make you
his new best mate. :laughing:

The only reason I learned to do them was to cover my pert
behind from danger. :sunglasses:

If it was me I’d do a 10min manual entry for the time to took me to “get my keys” and get my card into the truck. Then slap it on ‘other work’ give it 15mins for checks and your 10 for loading just to keep boxes ticked so to speak for those who wish to know your every move when they stop you.

nick2008:
you say you arrive and start the truck … the 1st thing you should do is put your card in…

oil and water? :laughing: sup brew, :sunglasses: build air up :smiley: then put card in :wink: and turn engine off and listen for air leaks, on walk around checks :grimacing: :grimacing: come on professional driver, with a DQC! Lol :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

The scenario isn’t to the letter, yes of course I will have to check oil and such without the engine running, but on a usual day,I park the car,walk 100 yards, open the lorry and start work. I have the keys already, I have everything I need already, no transport office, no signing in or clocking on… Out of the car… Into the lorry and start. This is why I’m confused about manual entries, because I won’t be doing anything work related in between the card being inserted and removed.

Its only me driving it, we have no night staff, there is only 3 of us driving in the company.

We have nothing in our yard at all bar some tanks and storage. No toilet, no canteen, no office. If the lorry is broken when I get there, I go home, or go out in a different one, our other two trucks still have analogue tachos.

The question is simple, if I’m not doing other work or duty when the card is removed, then surely I don’t need to do a manual entry. As soon as the card is removed, I’ll shut the door on the lorry,lock it and walk back to my car and go home.
Otherwise I’m making something up that I never actually did just to make it look like I’ve done something.

109LWB:
Otherwise I’m making something up that I never actually did just to make it look like I’ve done something.

I’d not bother with them in your situation as you describe it. By making something up you’re falsifying records which is more serious. As long as you’re not getting in and driving straight away every day (which you say you’re not) and you’re showing other work at the end of day (which you also say you are)
You might find it beneficial to learn how to do manual entries for future referance.

109LWB:
The scenario isn’t to the letter, yes of course I will have to check oil and such without the engine running, but on a usual day,I park the car,walk 100 yards, open the lorry and start work. I have the keys already, I have everything I need already, no transport office, no signing in or clocking on… Out of the car… Into the lorry and start. This is why I’m confused about manual entries, because I won’t be doing anything work related in between the card being inserted and removed.

Its only me driving it, we have no night staff, there is only 3 of us driving in the company.

We have nothing in our yard at all bar some tanks and storage. No toilet, no canteen, no office. If the lorry is broken when I get there, I go home, or go out in a different one, our other two trucks still have analogue tachos.

The question is simple, if I’m not doing other work or duty when the card is removed, then surely I don’t need to do a manual entry. As soon as the card is removed, I’ll shut the door on the lorry,lock it and walk back to my car and go home.

you’ve just answered your own question here…

This was the confusion. I was sure I didn’t have to, but others I asked were saying I did. Im sure I know how to, as Ive been playing on the simulator thing, and Im sure on occasion I will need to do it, but for a usual day I shouldn’t have to do it.

As you put the card in as soon as you arrive at work and take it out immediately before finishing work there’s no need to do manual entries for the end of the previous shift or the start of the new shift.
There’s nothing to record so you’d have a job to input a manual entry anyway.

Whether or not you need to manually enter the daily rest period will depend on the age of digital tachograph, if the lorry is fairly new it will be fitted with a type 2 digital tachograph, in this case when you insert the driver card you may need to manually record the period between withdrawing the card and re-inserting it as a rest period.

In this video at 00:56 instead of changing the mode you would simply check that it’s set to rest for the period the card was out of the tachograph and press OK, job done :smiley:

I believe the Siemens type 2 tachograph records other work for the time the card is out if you don’t manually record it as a rest period, I could be wrong about that but it would pay you to check as a few people have been caught out by this.

By the way, if the tachograph is type 2 the manual entries will be slightly different from the tachograph simulator as that’s a type 1 tachograph.

Thanks for that, very informative.
Not 100% sure what model it is. its in a 2009 eurocargo and is just labelled Iveco. It looks like a VDO and there is a VDO sticker in the door frame but not sure what version. I haven’t been into the menus yet to look as its been at the mechanics having some work done before we take delivery of it.

as tacho says… there should be a hand book so take it home and have a read … :wink:

There isn’t, I’ve looked. No handbook for the lorry either, so I’ve no idea what any of the buttons do yet.

109LWB:
Thanks for that, very informative.
Not 100% sure what model it is. its in a 2009 eurocargo and is just labelled Iveco. It looks like a VDO and there is a VDO sticker in the door frame but not sure what version. I haven’t been into the menus yet to look as its been at the mechanics having some work done before we take delivery of it.

To be honest I can’t remember exactly when the type 2 digital tachographs came into operation but it was definitely after 2009, I think it was 2012.

Assuming that your vehicle has the original tachograph it’s safe to assume it’s a type 1 digital tachograph, in which case, in your circumstances you can forget about manual entries unless you drive abroad.

If the vehicle is fitted with a Siemens tachograph this should be the instruction manual for it.

Siemens Tachograph - DTCO 1381

I see it’s sorted now but I do something similar and never usually do manual entries, the last time I did was when the vehicle was being picked up from servicing & I waited about 20 mins for it, put it down as other work as nobody around to tell me how long i might be waiting.
Without wanting to start another DCPC debate was it not covered in yours or didn’t you do drivers hours?

BillyHunt:
I see it’s sorted now but I do something similar and never usually do manual entries, the last time I did was when the vehicle was being picked up from servicing & I waited about 20 mins for it, put it down as other work as nobody around to tell me how long i might be waiting.
Without wanting to start another DCPC debate was it not covered in yours or didn’t you do drivers hours?

We did it, however it mainly focused on analogue tachos as that all we had at the time. There was a brief mention of digital, but we were certainly never shown what to do and until last week when I had a look in the new truck I’d never even seen a digital tacho in real life.

In a way it was helpful for the trainer to adapt the courses to our real life scenarios, but not much use when several months later you upgrade to something you’ve never been trained for.