digital tacho cards

:confused: i know that all new lorries have these and read an article in truck & driver magazine about them , i learnt a bit that there are 4 types, and there are many people against them for certain reasons, however if there is one in the lorry i get to drive then i need one, i guess you can get away with using one without having to attend a course? any info or points of view on this subject? :blush: i feel i have learnt tremendous amounts from this forum in the past and why not get free help, i am sure there are other new drivers interested.

There’s a good tutorial here for using the digital tachograph, you should be able to learn all the basics from that.

The only card you need to bother about is the driver card, the others are for the maintenance and office staff.

As far as people being against them is concerned, well that’s there tough luck because love them or hate them the digital tachograph is here to stay :wink:

xcellent :smiley: thanx

I am in the early stages, theory test in Oct and after Rigid with an intention to work for an Agency to gain experience…so there’s the background now here’s the question! How do I get a tachograph card? is it another course?!

I am in the early stages, theory test in Oct and after Rigid with an intention to work for an Agency to gain experience…so there’s the background now here’s the question! How do I get a tachograph card? is it another course?!

No there’s no course to go on, you apply for the card by writing to

DVLA,
Swansea,
SA99 1ST.

Or phoning (the quickest way)

You can ring the dedicated DVLA phone line on 0870 8501074

And ask for an application form, the cost is £38.00

But you won’t need one until you start looking for work as a driver.

See here for more information.

:sunglasses: i got my form from the transport section where i work at the moment, yes it was £38, a couple of the mechanics at my work, drive for an agency at weekends for a well known supermarket, the money is good and they tell me that all new lorries have a digital tacho fitted and if you happen to be told to drive one and dont have the card you will be sent home, however other drivers tell me hardly anybody knows if they are using them right when they do :open_mouth: , but luckilly at the moment there are far more trucks with the old paper tacho! i am going to print out the instructions for use from the link on this thread. :bulb:

high there just new to the forum passed class 2 in july went with couple of agencies no joy yet could u give me any info of how your first experiances went

hi its me again guys afew questions i need answered is the digi tacho easy to use ,what iff u dont get your stuff delivered on time ,and r the clients harsh on first time drivers i would b so obliged if u could fill me in on your knowledge on these subjects ive still alot to learn and i think this forum is brill for the answers :unamused:

Hello Stormin,

The Digi-Tacho is easy, don’t worry about it. Just make sure the card has finished setting up BEFORE you set off.

As for Agency work, make sure they tell the company you are working for that you are a newbie, they are 9/10 okay and very helpful, also, most people don’t expect you to do everything, as long as you do your best.

I have heard of one lad, at the Agency I am at, he went out for a Parcel firm, decided he couldn’t do the run after 1 drop, sat in a lay-by until 1700 and returned the van full.
As long as you don’t do that, then you will be fine

stormin digi tacho is a doddle to work, after a few days you will be able to follow it no probs. only problem arises with it rounding up the minutes but that dosent matter unless your using all your permitted driving hours every day and need to watch your driving time. it flashes a warning to you when you are nearing a 4.1/2 driving period and due a break. hope this helps.

stormin:
hi its me again guys afew questions i need answered is the digi tacho easy to use ,what iff u dont get your stuff delivered on time ,and r the clients harsh on first time drivers i would b so obliged if u could fill me in on your knowledge on these subjects ive still alot to learn and i think this forum is brill for the answers :unamused:

You have to get over the "first time driver " notion, impress and they will keep asking the agency specifically for you.Obviously doing only 1 drop because you couldn’t find the other 10 will be frowned upon.