Digital tacho card..

Hi again folks, this may be a stupid question but here goes :unamused: :unamused:
Can someone tell me how you go about getting your digital tacho card and whats involved??
Thanks folks :confused: :confused:
[/quote]

rich32:
Hi again folks, this may be a stupid question

Well, not stupid in its own right, but it’s been asked so many times that it’s gained “stupid question” status…

rich32:
but here goes :unamused: :unamused:
Can someone tell me how you go about getting your digital tacho card and whats involved??

Get a form from the DVLA (phone number on www.digitaltachograph.gov.uk ).

Fill in the form. The photograph/ID you require will depend on whether you’ve got a photocard driving license, digital passport or neither - details in the booklet that they send with the form.

Send the form back with your ÂŁ38 fee.

Wait up to 15 days.

See your shiny new digital tachograph card land on your doorstep.

Hope that this question isn’t as stupid - do you have to have passed your LGV test before applying for a digi tachograph card? Or can you go ahead and buy it beforehand?

MrFlibble:

rich32:
Hi again folks, this may be a stupid question

Well, not stupid in its own right, but it’s been asked so many times that it’s gained “stupid question” status…

rich32:
but here goes :unamused: :unamused:

Get a form from the DVLA (phone number on www.digitaltachograph.gov.uk ).

Fill in the form. The photograph/ID you require will depend on whether you’ve got a photocard driving license, digital passport or neither - details in the booklet that they send with the form.

Send the form back with your ÂŁ38 fee.

Wait up to 15 days.

See your shiny new digital tachograph card land on your doorstep.

Great advice!

Only one slight problem - the link to the digitaltachograph site doesn’t work! :frowning:

No big deal, it happens to the best of us! :slight_smile:

I fixed it, it works now.

SuperLez:
Hope that this question isn’t as stupid - do you have to have passed your LGV test before applying for a digi tachograph card? Or can you go ahead and buy it beforehand?

Its not as stupid Lez. Its more technical !!! If you have for example a 7.5 tonner licence but not passed a seperate hgv one you will need a digi tacho card to drive the new 7.5 tonners. So you will have to apply for one.
In technical terms if you have a C1 licence and wish to drive a C1 vehicle fitted with a digitach then you should apply for a digi caard ! Only with one a !!

Mike-C:

SuperLez:

Its not as stupid Lez. Its more technical !!! If you have for example a 7.5 tonner licence but not passed a seperate hgv one you will need a digi tacho card to drive the new 7.5 tonners. So you will have to apply for one.
In technical terms if you have a C1 licence and wish to drive a C1 vehicle fitted with a digitach then you should apply for a digi caard ! Only with one a !!

Thanks!

Fixed it for me - have C1! But what about those folks that passed their car tests from 1997 onwards? Can they apply for their cards before passing their C/C1 tests?

Yes, it’s technical! But I feel that it’s only right and proper that all possibilities are taken account of here. Can a wanabee driver who doesn’t hold C1 entitlement (issued with car licences before 1997) apply for a card before he/she passes their tests?

Sorry if I’m sounding like a nit picker - but have noticed that a fair few members here are would be LGV drivers - many who only have entitlement to drive Group B vehicles (up to 3.5t MAM).

Coffeeholic:
I fixed it, it works now.

Thanks! :smiley: