Digital Driver Card Issues - *UPDATE*

Digital Driver Card Issues

The DVLA are today aware of problems on certain Digital Driver Cards.
These errors are reported on the display of the Digital Tachograph Head on insertion of the Drivers Digital Card and include the following messages.

“ERROR CODE 48”
“CARD ERROR”
“CARD NOT VALID”
“CARD EXPIRED” - When the card has not expired

If any of these issues have been reported the driver must produce two manual print outs from the Tachograph Head, one at the start of the journey and another at the end. Both prints must be marked with:-

The driver’s full name
Any manual entries needed to show periods of other work, availability, and rest or break
The driver’s signature
This can be done for a maximum of 15 days from the date the card malfunctioned.

It is important that sufficient supplies of print rolls are issued to these drivers. Standard procedure is that the driver carries at least 1 spare roll and one in the machine.

DVLA have now advised that those cards affected are now classed as faulty/malfunctioning and should be returned for replacement.Drivers should put CODE 48 on the front of the envelope and send the form and the faulty card to
DVLA
SWANSEA
SA99 1AZ

Yep just sent mine off, interesting to see how they cope with the demand.

lol overtime galore in swansea :laughing:

Surely they should know who has which ‘expiry date’ cards and automatically send them off to you. It’s obviously a fault at their end, they should sort it. So “nice” of them to send out “free of charge” cards.

Kerbdog:
Surely they should know who has which ‘expiry date’ cards and automatically send them off to you. It’s obviously a fault at their end, they should sort it. So “nice” of them to send out “free of charge” cards.

Replacements for faulty cards are always free.

Coffeeholic:

Kerbdog:

Replacements for faulty cards are always free.

Interesting that they have almost clarified what “Sufficient” means at last. One spare roll and one in the machine. :stuck_out_tongue:

What is the point in sending out replacement card .They will have the same expiry date on
them as the old card.So same problem yes or no.

fingermissing:
What is the point in sending out replacement card .They will have the same expiry date on

I’m guessing here,so don’t have a go(well,you can if you really want :slight_smile: )I would say that some software people have looked at this and have hopefully sorted a glitch/gremlin out.

fingermissing:

Never had a replacement card before but what you’re saying is if you only have a few weeks or months left on the card that is being sent back the new card will still have the same expiry date ? So then in a few weeks/months you will have to do it all again to renew it :confused: A mate of mine at work has just had his new one sent through which will be valid in about 3 weeks time but untill then he has got to send off for a replacement for his old card which has 3 weeks left :confused:

bald bloke:

fingermissing:

Never had a replacement card before but what you’re saying is if you only have a few weeks or months left on the card that is being sent back the new card will still have the same expiry date ? So then in a few weeks/months you will have to do it all again to renew it :confused: A mate of mine at work has just had his new one sent through which will be valid in about 3 weeks time but untill then he has got to send off for a replacement for his old card which has 3 weeks left :confused:

Yes.

I’ve phoned up today and told to send off for a replacement, the questions I asked were
A) Will it expire in October same as the card I’m sending back - answer: YES!
B) Are you going to refund the cost of the postage - answer: No!
C) Are you going to pay for any work lost due to these problems - answer: go on, you can guess that 1.

I can’t send mine off till weekend as I’m down the road, didn’t know I had a fault until Monday morning, it worked Saturday, and I was told that I can only do manual printouts for 15 days - assume this means 15 working days, not 15 days in the week - so when I send off at the weekend, it’s going to have an invoice for the postage with a letter explaining that another invoice for any lost work will follow.

:imp:

waynedl:
I was told that I can only do manual printouts for 15 days - assume this means 15 working days, not 15 days in the week - so

15 calendar days, not 15 working days

I bet this has cost a few unfortunate agency drivers a lot of money, plus side is they’ve topped up their tan.

Coffeeholic:

waynedl:
I was told that I can only do manual printouts for 15 days - assume this means 15 working days, not 15 days in the week - so

15 calendar days, not 15 working days

Thanks for that Coffee, but, to be honest, it’ll be done until card comes back assuming they let me carry on working, they were very clear that I’d be ok this week but if it’s not sorted, they wouldn’t let me next week.

bald bloke:
I bet this has cost a few unfortunate agency drivers a lot of money, plus side is they’ve topped up their tan.

Yeah; wonder if Unite will be rushing to take up their case? :wink:

Don’t see why this should cause anyone to loose work, unless there card is away longer then 15 days (in whitch case i expect the DVLA will extend the 15 day period) If firms are not allowing people to work with out a working card then its there problem not the DVLAs the rules set by the DFT or who ever dont prevent you from working because of a faulty card, and i dont think VOSA will cover mony lost through firms making up rules

Yeah; wonder if Unite will be rushing to take up their case?

well, lets hope that someone who is a union memebr takes it up with Unite and reports back to us.
I for one (as a Unite member) will be greatly interested in the outcome.

bald bloke:

As agency, I’m just trying to keep my head down, and carry on regardless.

I’m going to explode though if some vosa jobsworth triesthrowing anything at me 'cos I’ve not crossed the Ts and dotted the I’s properly on my rags of till rolls I now have already. Card in the post, with weeks left on it by the time I get it.

I said to the taf girl that by rights we should all get our cards renewed at this opportunity for the next 3 years as if we were doing a paid renewal at this point.

The system is merely set up to take as much money off the workforce as possible though, so my logic was politely declined! :imp: :imp: :imp: :angry: :angry: :angry: :frowning: :frowning:

Seriously, if anyone else says the wrong thing to me this week, then I’m going to end up having to apply for a second replacement card because this one has got crap all over it from me shoving it too deep into third party’s black hole of calcutta! :smiling_imp:

tiger65:

These errors are reported on the display of the Digital Tachograph Head on insertion of the Drivers Digital Card and include the following messages.

“ERROR CODE 48”
“CARD ERROR”
“CARD NOT VALID”

If any of these issues have been reported the driver must produce two manual print outs from the Tachograph Head, one at the start of the journey and another at the end. Both prints must be marked with:-

The driver’s full name
Any manual entries needed to show periods of other work, availability, and rest or break
The driver’s signature

It is important that sufficient supplies of print rolls are issued to these drivers. Standard procedure is that the driver carries at least 1 spare roll and one in the machine.

DVLA have now advised that those cards affected are now classed as faulty/malfunctioning and should be returned for replacement.Drivers should put CODE 48 on the front of the envelope and send the form and the faulty card to
DVLA
SWANSEA
SA99 1AZ

Yep,i know that.
changed once but now i put it in a few Times and if it fails every Time going to Toilet washing it and then it works.

Yep,i know that.
changed once but now i put it in a few Times and if it fails every Time going to Toilet washing it and then it works.

ImmigrantSENIOR MEMBER Posts: 868Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:21 am

Always a good idea to keep it clean. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

tiger65:

“ERROR CODE 48”
“CARD ERROR”
“CARD NOT VALID”

The driver’s full name
The driver’s signature

DVLA
SWANSEA
SA99 1AZ

Why 2 print outs? I printed 2 last night and the last print out has all the same info as the first plus everything I’d done after that.