Digital dilema again,to have or not to have?

This old geezer i was chatting to,told me that if you have NOT sent off for a digi card,then you can not be nicked for it,as he was on anologue tachos all the time,the point he was making is,if you HAVE a card,and leave it at home,and get stopped then it becomes a records offence.
So was this bloke right about he does not have to apply for a digi,but his boss insists he must apply for one.

He does not have to apply for one (his choice) but if his boss only has a digi for him to drive then it can be classed that he has made himself unemployed

he is right that he doesnt need 1 but its too late when the hire motor comes in and he cant drive it.

There’s no law that says you have to have a driver card but you cannot legally drive a vehicle fitted with a digital tachograph if you haven’t got one.

On the other hand if you do have a driver card it’s an offence not to carry it with you even if it’s never been used.

So yes the bloke was right, but if he ever needs to drive a vehicle fitted with a digital tachograph he’ll be screwed if he doesn’t have the card :wink:

Depends where you go. Some countries require to have one and will fine you if you can’t produce it. I can’t believe in 2011 there are still people without them

switchlogic:
Depends where you go. Some countries require to have one and will fine you if you can’t produce it. I can’t believe in 2011 there are still people without them

why would you need to have a digi card if you have no intention of driving a lorry fitted with a digi tacho ?

Good points there fellows,he seemed ok,i was told he did a 5 year stretch for some thing customs found in his trailer,he knew it was there,pocket money,he described as to me.
Agencies need digi,in case the heap of a skip they give you,with axle grease on the steering wheel,and 3 year old sarnies under the seat and bunk,breaks down,and they send out a truck with a digi,then you are up the creek without a paddle.
What is with the soiled staining patterns on the bunk,what have they been doing to get that rotting smell in the cab.?Needs a plastic sheet to sleep on,or the bed bugs may bite,a shower in the morning to get rid of the odours,yuk.

French transport ministry checker ask for the digi while i was in an anologue wagon.

Denis F:

switchlogic:

why would you need to have a digi card if you have no intention of driving a lorry fitted with a digi tacho ?

Because if you drive lorries for a living, you never know when you might need to drive a hire or, heaven forfend, a new truck; that is, if there is no alternative to a digitacho truck you won’t be driving it anyway. Not having a digicard is surely becoming more of a reason/excuse to NOT drive trucks.

How can it be an offence not to carry extra paper rolls for printouts,its vosa problem if they do not have any at the check point,if they want to print out,they can bring their own rolls.

At my place its part of your contract as most of the vehicles have a digi fitted now but the gaffer does pay for them and will only take the money off you if you leave within 2 years so not so bad.

toby1234abc:
How can it be an offence not to carry extra paper rolls for printouts,its vosa problem if they do not have any at the check point,if they want to print out,they can bring their own rolls.

It’s not VOSAs problem because the law requires you to supply enough paper to do any printouts they require, so it’s our problem :wink:

Just checking,thanks. :smiley:

I ain’t got a digi card yet, i know there will be a time when i will need one just can’t be bothered at the moment still got 2 trucks on our fleet without them now i know the other drivers got one so if push come to shove we could swap, but there again all our trucks have got pumping gear on so hiring ones not an option and no its not straight tipping gear :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Denis F:

switchlogic:

Intention is all well and good until the unexpected happens such as a breakdown and you can’t drive the replacement. Just seems a bit pointless this long after they were introduced to be a full time professional driver without one? If all you do is drive your vintage truck at weekends fair enough, but otherwise?

toby1234abc:
How can it be an offence not to carry extra paper rolls for printouts,

It’s not an offence to not have spare rolls. The requirement is for sufficient paper, that’s all. One roll may be sufficient, two rolls my not be.

tachograph:
On the other hand if you do have a driver card it’s an offence not to carry it with you while working as a driver even if it’s never been used.

Added a bit in there mate, otherwise some roaster will pop up with the story about how his mate got nicked for not having it with him while in the car with his kids on the way to Tesco/Asda/the chip shop/the seaside.

:wink: :stuck_out_tongue: