Digi's again

Do you use manual enteries on digital tachos.

I have been told that there is no real need to.

I may use my card every working day for a month or just the odd day.

Also when you end your shift do you put it on rest or leave it on other work.

Wayne:

Personally, yes. I make manual entries for the start and end of my shift so that they match the timesheet.

Wayne:

Depends on your shift. If you put your card in immediately at the start of the shift, and take it out as the last thing you do before leaving the place, then no, manual entries are probably not necessary, as the card record is probably good enough.

However, in reality, most people spend time signing in, getting their paperwork, etc. before getting to their truck, and then at the end of the shift spend some time in the transport office finishing off all the paperwork. This is “other work”, and legally it should be recorded, and that’s what manual entries are for.

Wayne:

Doesn’t matter - it’s how much of your “working time” is going unrecorded at the beginning and end of the day that is important. I doubt that VOSA would be interested in the odd 5 minutes here and there (unless you’re pushing the rest periods to the minimum), but if it’s half an hour at each end every day, then I think they’d be coming down on that.

Wayne:
Also when you end your shift do you put it on rest or leave it on other work.

If you’re taking the card out, it doesn’t matter. If you leave the card in (because you’re staying in the truck overnight), put it on rest.

Wayne:

You’re required by law to record any work done when the card isn’t in the tachograph, so if you do vehicle checks or paperwork before or after the card is in the tacho then the answer is yes you should do manual entries.

You can record any work done that’s not recorded on the card by writing the details on a printout, but then the printouts will need to be kept for a year, or two years if they’re used to record the WTD.
So yes the easiest and smartest way is to do manual entries if you need to :wink:

I don’t do manual entries after a night out because the alarm goes off I change the mode from Rest, sooner the mode the gets changed the sooner I start getting paid. On mornings when I go to the depot and start work I do a manual entry.

Some days at the end of the shift i meet the night driver in the car park and give him the keys which means I don’t have to go into the office. On those occasions it is card out and into the car so I put it on Rest for one minute before ejecting teh card.

tachograph:
You’re required by law to record any work done when the card isn’t in the tachograph, so if you do vehicle checks or paperwork before or after the card is in the tacho then the answer is yes you should do manual entries.

You can record any work done that’s not recorded on the card by writing the details on a printout, but then the printouts will need to be kept for a year, or two years if they’re used to record the WTD.
So yes the easiest and smartest way is to do manual entries if you need to :wink:

I think you’ve confused the issue by referring to ‘manual entries’ as opposed to ‘manually entering activities electronically’. :wink:

Typical scenario.

Report for work 0700. No vehicle available. By 0705 you are on POA.
By 0805 you decide it is time to wander down to the local Butty Van for a sandwich, whuch just happens to extend into a 15 or 30 minute Break (which could later in the day be beneficial in respect of the WTD. :sunglasses: , but not Drivers Hours Regs, as you haven’t yet commenced Driving.)
Returning at 0835, you shunt a couple of vehicles about, or help out someone changing light bulbs (Other Work).
At 0900 you get a vehicle.
Insert the card and then enter those activities electronically.

No requirement for a Print Out and ‘manual entries’ on the reverse of it.

Personally, I don’t change the mode to Rest before removing the card. It remains on Other Work whilst I finish the day, and then the next time it gets used I make a Manual Entry (Electronically) showing the activity and finish time corresponding to my time sheet.

My argument is that the time between the last activity and the next commencement activity is, by default, Rest.

Krankee:

tachograph:

I think you’ve confused the issue by referring to ‘manual entries’ as opposed to ‘manually entering activities electronically’. :wink:

After re-reading my post I can see what you mean, I could have made it clearer that by manual entries I was referring to manual entries in the digital tachograph rather than having to write on and keep printouts :wink: