Digi Tachos On Ferries

Looking for a bit of advice on the use of digi tachos when using ferries. Is it correct that when crossing from Portsmouth to Caen that when using the crossing as part of a daily rest period that the digi tacho should be set at out of scope for the whole crossing or only when the vehicle is being driven on and off the ferry to show movements. Also when using the shuttle i set the tacho to break as i am only looking to get 45 mins break am i breaking the law by doing this?

weeony:
Looking for a bit of advice on the use of digi tachos when using ferries. Is it correct that when crossing from Portsmouth to Caen that when using the crossing as part of a daily rest period that the digi tacho should be set at out of scope for the whole crossing or only when the vehicle is being driven on and off the ferry to show movements. Also when using the shuttle i set the tacho to break as i am only looking to get 45 mins break am i breaking the law by doing this?

use the search button or the wtd forum and im sure there is an option on the digi for ferry.

See if I get this correct… A GURU will be along soon to say whether it is or not… I hope !!

It is not ‘out of scope’

A mode must be selected - that is the choice for the driver to make.

If wanting to use the time as REST (not BREAK) -
11 hours which can be interupted twice but the TOTAL rest taken must still add up to 11 hours
9 hours uninterupted as a reduced daily rest
3 hours uninterupted PLUS 9 hours uninterupted as a full daily rest
A 9 hour rest cannot be interupted but an 11 hour can

GURUs - did I get that correct■■?

This question was answered last week, here.

Coffeeholic:

Inselaffe:
Due to the length of the crossing, it is not possible to have your full daily rest on the boat.

So after booking in at Harwich, don’t forget to set the vehicle to “Ferry/Train” and your driver setting to “Rest” on your digitacho

That isn’t the point at which you select the Ferry/Train option. You select it just before you begin embarkation so it will mark the data and printout to show the reason the mode has changed from rest and you then must remember to select rest mode again once on board. If you are continuing your rest after leaving the ferry you would do the same thing just before disembarkation to again explain why the mode is switching from rest. Just selecting Ferry/Train when you park in the port prior to boarding will result in several infringements. You can also only use the interrupted rest if you have worked less than 13 hours in the shift, 12 - 12.5 hours realistically to allow times for the movements and still fit the required 11 hours into the 24-hour period.

weeony:
Also when using the shuttle i set the tacho to break as i am only looking to get 45 mins break am i breaking the law by doing this?

No, that’s fine using that period as break. It can’t really be anything else. It’s clearly not driving, you are not doing any work and it can’t be POA because you aren’t free to return to your workstation. It also can’t be rest as you don;t have access to a bunk so break that only leaves break.

Coffeeholic:

weeony:
Also when using the shuttle i set the tacho to break as i am only looking to get 45 mins break am i breaking the law by doing this?

No, that’s fine using that period as break. It can’t really be anything else. It’s clearly not driving, you are not doing any work and it can’t be POA because you aren’t free to return to your workstation. It also can’t be rest as you don;t have access to a bunk so break that only leaves break.

I seem to remember that the shuttle slowed down to give drivers a 45 minute break, or was that just coincidence as the normal transit time is about 48 to 55 minutes. Was I dreaming it or did the train used to be faster?

My first memory of using it was when I drove from Ludwigshafen to my local pub in a slightly extended shift. I got to the train as it was ready to leave and sailed straight onto the carriage and had to almost run to the bus :laughing:

Wheel Nut:
I seem to remember that the shuttle slowed down to give drivers a 45 minute break, or was that just coincidence as the normal transit time is about 48 to 55 minutes. Was I dreaming it or did the train used to be faster?

I’m sure it used to be a quicker crossing, you didn’t always get your 45 in but these days you always do.

Thanks for your help lads trying to keep up with laws is a nightmare.