DIGI TACHO

Hi lads ima a new driver just trying to get my head round these digi tacho
I finished Friday 11am and started back 3am Monday morning. is this right I put in a manual entrie on bed to cover time between shifts

I only work Monday to Friday

Thanks Gordon

You don’t need to do anything with a manual entry, I’m presuming you haven’t left your card in all weekend !!

No you don’t have to show the weekly rest on the tacho it’s recorded automatically while the card is out of the machine.

When the data is downloaded it will show the card wasn’t used between the fri and mon and the will be your weekly rest period.

FYI I’m sure in some places on the continent they like to see the tacho left in on break while on your weekly/daily rests but you don’t have to do that here in The UK.

You have to do a manual entry to cover the time between shifts if you have a 1.4 Siemens.

I’ve been using one for a while with no infringements and never used a manual entry between shifts to show any rests.

redboxer850:
You have to do a manual entry to cover the time between shifts if you have a 1.4 Siemens.

…& also to show “country of start” (UK) otherwise a ? will show = an infringement :wink:

Depends what digi unit you have in. How old is the truck ?

If it has the 1.4 unit in I tend to use the ? mode for the time in between shifts. If you use break it will add 3 hours onto your total breaks on your print out for the day. Not a problem but we have to add our breaks up and write them down on a sheet and it’s just easier to let the digi box add them up.

It will do you no harm if you do manual entry’s, i do them to cover overnight break’s and all weekly driving break’s, and as the other lads have said, never had an infringement for doing so

I had one truck which was a 60plate merc and just recently I’ve been driving a new 13plate DAF. Both were Siemens tachos and never had an infringement.

I have also in the past left the tacho waiting for start country selection while I was doing my walk around and it’s just continued with no selection. I never got an infringement for the either.

You don’t do a manual entry to show daily rest or weekly rest.

On the 1.4 machines where you have to account for your time, the ‘?’ symbol should be used to show your weekly and daily rest, not the bed symbol.

m1cks:

On the 1.4 machines where you have to account for your time, the ‘?’ symbol should be used to show your weekly and daily rest, not the bed symbol.

Thanks for help
Gordon

m1cks:

On type 1 digital tachographs you don’t do manual entries to cover the daily/weekly rest periods but on type 2 digital tachographs you do.

On a type 2 digital tachographs you will be prompted for the activity between shifts, that’s a manual entry really isn’t it :wink:

Anyway, there’s no reason why you would use the ? for a rest period instead of the bed symbol.

If you’ve been on a daily/weekly rest period use the bed symbol, if you’ve done work that cannot be accounted for on the digital tachograph use the ? symbol.

Example of showing unaccounted time on a 1.4 Siemens digital tachograph:

Day 1 use a digital tachograph.
Day 2 use a digital tachograph.
Day 3 use an analogue tachograph.
Day 4 use a digital tachograph.

On day 2 you would use the bed symbol to show the rest period between day 1 and day 2.

On day 4 you cannot use the bed symbol to show the activities from the end of day 2 (last use of a digital tachograph) to the start of day 4 because you haven’t been on rest all the time, so you use the ? symbol.

I found these statistics on the web and thought they were quite interesting. I have marked the biggest uptake in the left column and the lowest uptake in the right column, we can hardly complain that we have been sold down the river when we are still mainly using pre 2006 technology for recording driving time. :open_mouth:

I missed out Portugal and Cyprus and for some reason there are no records for Spain and Denmark, but these figures were taken from roadside checks right across the European Union in 2012

I have queried this before, Vosa recognise ‘?’ Or ‘rest symbol’ as daily/weekly rest. So in answer to original post, it doesn’t matter whether you fill the time in between or not.

tachograph:
On a type 2 digital tachographs you will be prompted for the activity between shifts, that’s a manual entry really isn’t it

Anyway, there’s no reason why you would use the ? for a rest period instead of the bed symbol.

If you’ve been on a daily/weekly rest period use the bed symbol,

Totaly agree with this ^^ and that is exactly what i do and it’s so quick and simple. :wink: