Digi Tacho

Minor question lads, do MAN trucks have stoneridge digi tachos

the ones ive drove had siemens,but havent drove one for 4+ years so may of changed,

the last one I drove (57 plate) had a siemens also

The last MAN I drove was an 08 plate TGX which had a Siemens digital tachographs fitted.

We’ve just had 4 MAN’s delivered and they have the new Stoneridge Exacts fitted.

Mines on a 06 plate and it’s got a siemens

All the MAN’s I have driven and my son on 7.5’s have the Siemen’s tacho.
The only thing we’ve both noticed with this installation,is that if you select POA,when you switch the ignition off,the tacho defaults to “Rest”.

Thanks a lot lads, Iv’e got no problems with the siemans but I had a scani with a stoneridge last week, had a right struggle just trying to eject the card, maybe it’s me but there seemed to be a slow response when you push a button, looks like I’ll have to do some homework. Cheers

Snorefart:
Thanks a lot lads, Iv’e got no problems with the siemans but I had a scani with a stoneridge last week, had a right struggle just trying to eject the card, maybe it’s me but there seemed to be a slow response when you push a button, looks like I’ll have to do some homework. Cheers

It depends how much data there is to write to the card, a lot of stop starts or delays will take longer, pust the button once and let it do its job. I have seen folks punching the button like a pinball machine, this applies on both types of VU

Pinball machine thats me, thanks wheelnut

I don’t know about the new Stoneridge tachographs but the ones I’ve used have definitely been slower at ejecting the card, and a printout seems to take forever :open_mouth:

The delay in the older Stoneridge tachos ejecting cards is down to how the tacho records data. Initially data is stored in a buffer memory before being written to the VU mass memory and then to the driver card. This occurs when the buffer memory is full. The same happened with printouts. If you press the print button the Stoneridge unit used to start printing immediately, then pause whilst the next section of data was passed to the printer etc. The VDO paused before printing anything. Once all data had been sent the VDO started printing. I forget how many times I’ve been caught out by the Stoneridge pausing the print and have ripped the printout off, only to see the next part of the printout being produced :blush:

The new Stoneridge ‘Exakt’ according to the literature doesn’t suffer from these issues. Had a quick play with one at the NEC yesterday. Manual entries were very much easier, although that wouldn’t be difficult :exclamation: Not sure what the ‘?’ mode was all about in the manual entry menu, was told that it covered periods where you had used an analogue chart - not convinced about that. Liked the feature that allowed you to call all the time between card withdrawal and next card insertion ‘rest.’ Nice, quick manual entry, if that’s what you were doing, and meant unit was ready to record driving very quickly.

Vehicle manufacturers will fit whatever VU suits them. To date approx 80 % of the OE market was VDO with Stoneridge as second choice, except Scania who usually fitted Stoneridge. As the Stoneridge Exakt was the first unit recording driving under the new rules to get type approval, there may well be some more Stoneridges out there. However, VDO v1.4 now has type approval so that situation may now change.

Thanks very much excellent answers, the reason I wanted to know was I went for a job interview yesterday for Bibby and they are getting brand new MAN’s, and if I get the job don’t want to look like a dipstick fiddling about with the digi

tachograph:
I don’t know about the new Stoneridge tachographs but the ones I’ve used have definitely been slower at ejecting the card, and a printout seems to take forever :open_mouth:

not on the latest stoneridge tachos,they start printing and dont stop till there done,there alot better than old ones,manual entries are a lot easier too,very user freindly now,just like using a siemens