Digi tacho split with log book

Hey guys hoping someone can help as im a bit confused… for my main job im tacho exempt I just need to fill a log book out recording my start , finish , time spent driving , and breaks but now and again I go off and do other work for different companies witch I need to use my digi card for when I do this I put my card in and theres a massive gap between the day im on and the day the card was last removed do I need to fill out all my past work in manual entries or is there a quicker way that I can skip it and if im pulled over just produce my log book ■■? Thank for the help im really confused about it

samstone90:
Hey guys hoping someone can help as im a bit confused… for my main job im tacho exempt I just need to fill a log book out recording my start , finish , time spent driving , and breaks but now and again I go off and do other work for different companies witch I need to use my digi card for when I do this I put my card in and theres a massive gap between the day im on and the day the card was last removed do I need to fill out all my past work in manual entries or is there a quicker way that I can skip it and if im pulled over just produce my log book ■■? Thank for the help im really confused about it

I assume that you’re using a log book because you’re on domestic regulations ?

If you’re using a log book because you’re on domestic regulations, when you insert your driver card just do a manual entry (if necessary) to complete the last shift shown on the card, the other days you work will be covered by the log book.

As long as you’re using a log book because you’re on domestic regulations, there’s no legal requirement to keep any other records for the days recorded in the log book :wink:

Thanks for the reply im a dustcart driver doing door to door collections so yes im domestic drivers hours… so what do I put in the tacho for the other days before my last shift ? Thanks again

samstone90:
Thanks for the reply im a dustcart driver doing door to door collections so yes im domestic drivers hours… so what do I put in the tacho for the other days before my last shift ? Thanks again

Sorry I’m not sure I understand what you mean.

For the days that you’re on domestic regulations you don’t put anything into the tachograph, the records in the log book are all you legally need.

For days that you drive to EU regulations use the tachograph as usual and put into the tachograph a manual entry only for the end of the last shift (if necessary) that you used the digital tachograph.

Example:
Lets say the last time you used your driver card was on the 23rd March when you withdrew the driver card at 16:00 but finished work at 17:00, and since then you’ve been on domestic regulations using your log book.

Tomorrow you’re going onto EU regulations

When you put the driver card into the tachograph tomorrow you will do a manual entry to cover the time from 16:00 to 17:00 on the 23rd March (the last time you used the driver card).

That’s all you need to do.

As you only occasionally use your driver card it may be a good idea to take a printout at the end of the shift, on this printout you could write a manual entry for any work done at the end of the shift after withdrawing the driver card.

The purpose of this is twofold:

1. it will enable VOSA to see what you’ve done should you get stopped within the following 28 days.
  2. it will help you to remember what manual entries to put into the tachograph the next time you use your driver card.

You can buy a roll of printout paper quite cheap of ebay.

Remember that as you’re using both you driver card and a log book you will need to carry the log book and the driver card at all times when you’re driving HGV vehicles.

Sorry tachograph I had confused myself thanks for the post thats perfect I understand now thats what I thought but I wasnt sure the example was what I needed to be sure I was doing the right thing… thanks all really appreciate it