Digi tacho mode

Another day another memo!
we have been told that at the end of our shift we must change the tacho mode to rest before taking out the card. apparently if we don’t and the vehicle is moved it can be added to our time. How?
Surely if the card is out it cannot be written to.
I know one of you will have the answer…

David, you have been told correctly,if you take a daily or weekly rest, surely you change the mode switch anyway otherwise you will record work, so when you take the card out…change modes.

I left my card in by accident, and my vehicle was collected for a service overnight, well the idiots never used their own digicard and used mine instead, but luckily i still showed a 9 hour rest otherwise i would have had to go home (with pay). i reported the details to our TM and he informed the garage…but i make sure i remember to take the card out.

i cant see how it can register the movement on YOUR card when it aint in■■?.
however ,i always change my mode to rest at the end of every shift,as the unit head records it apparently.
maybe worth asking this on the safety law forum?.
someone will know.

I would do this every time. It is the same as leaving the house and not turning off the chip pan.

When you leave the truck, put it on rest then eject the card, if you are changing trucks do a printout and a manual entry or write on the back. If not, then that is the end of your shift.

The original post could easily be taken as a bloke who’s time was up, so he removed the card and drove to the pub, then surprised that he was done for it

as far as i am aware it doesn’t matter what the mode switch is at when you eject the card. however if someone moves the vehicle after that, then it wont register on your card but it will on a vehicle readout. IIRC then VOSA wont bother about any movement without the card unless it was over 1km

davidj247:
we have been told that at the end of our shift we must change the tacho mode to rest before taking out the card. apparently if we don’t and the vehicle is moved it can be added to our time.

Sounds like a load of rubbish to me! Maybe it’s just that their analysis software is crap and works it out wrong when they combine the data from the VU with the data from your card. As far as I’m concerned if my card isn’t in the unit then it can’t be written to. I’ve certainly never bothered to change the mode before I eject it and my truck is often moved about in the yard by the gaffer after I have left without him putting a card in and I’ve never had an issue.

Paul

davidj247:
we have been told that at the end of our shift we must change the tacho mode to rest before taking out the card. apparently if we don’t and the vehicle is moved it can be added to our time. How?

Thats ■■■■■■■■ mate, I always eject my card on other work (because thats the correct mode at the time I do it), I close that shift when I do a manual entry the next time I put the card in. I’m on holiday atm and when I go back my card isn’t going to show about 2500km of driving and about 96 hours of shift time thats been done in my absence.

As for changing trucks (in the same shift), just eject your card on whatever mode is relevant (ie if your taking a break put it on rest) when you insert it in the next truck just do a manual entry to cover the time the card hasn’t been inserted, no printout required.

MADBAZ:

davidj247:

Thats ■■■■■■■■ mate,

Agreed. If they want the drivers to do this then go to the office to hand in keys and debrief they are encouraging them to break the tacho rules. Whoever came up with this is clearly lacking in knowledge on the hours regulations and how the digi tacho works and anything they have to say on the subject should be checked. Regardless of the mode when the card is ejected any movement after that point cannot be recorded on your card. Obviously if you ran out of time, ejected the card, then continued to drive it would arouse the suspicion of VOSA with the driving without a card coming immediately after you ejecting your card.

MADBAZ:
I always eject my card on other work (because thats the correct mode at the time I do it)

Me too, any thing else would be creating a false entry. When I begin a shift after a night at home I always look to see what mode the last driver left it on before I insert my card, if they left it on rest I change it to other work. There is always a period of other work before I insert the card to account for the time involved in collecting the keys etc.

I would suggest very few drivers finish work immediately after they eject the card, unless on a night out. There will always at least a couple of minutes of other work to walk to the office, return keys, paperwork, clock off etc.

I would suggest very few drivers finish work immediately after they eject the card, unless on a night out. There will always at least a couple of minutes of other work to walk to the office, return keys, paperwork, clock off etc.

Exactly right Coffee - I park my truck in the bay for loading, fill in my paperwork do an end of shift circle check and then make my way to the office to debrief. I can’t see the point of changing mode - I just eject the card and put it back in the following day. The shunter moves the truck later anyway, so it will revert to other work then.

davidj247:

Exactly right Coffee - I park my truck in the bay for loading, fill in my paperwork do an end of shift circle check and then make my way to the office to debrief. I can’t see the point of changing mode - I just eject the card and put it back in the following day. The shunter moves the truck later anyway, so it will revert to other work then.

Well there you go then, the company are asking you to create a false record. They want you to switch it to rest but then continue working while you debrief. Leave it on other work when you eject it then at the start of the next shift do a manual entry to account for the time used for the debrief, that will then be a true record of the end the shift and your working time.