Digi Tacho: Any easy way of displaying total daily driving?

As per title…I know I can scroll the display line by line as it would appear on a printout but total daily driving is at the bottom of the printout so the scrolling process takes an age…

Surely these things should be able to easily display your daily total driving so you can keep legal when you are getting close to the hours limit or am I missing something obvious?

press the down button on a siemens and it brings up total driving time

Yes, the down arrow brings up driving time for the current 4.5 hours driving period I know, but when you’ve completed a 45min break (or split break) this is wiped clean.

I do lots of stop start work with lots of waiting (breaks) so mid afternoon, say, I want to know my “total” driving for the day so I know whether I’ve time left to do another job - preferably without the hassle of the long scrolling exercise or doing a printout.

buy a timer, that should help

lard:
As per title…I know I can scroll the display line by line as it would appear on a printout but total daily driving is at the bottom of the printout so the scrolling process takes an age…

Surely these things should be able to easily display your daily total driving so you can keep legal when you are getting close to the hours limit or am I missing something obvious?

I use a siemens. Stopped with ignition on, press a button (up) >call main menu >press ok>printout driver one> press up> printout vehicle>press up>display driver two>press up>display driver one>press up>display driver one>press ok>scroll down and watch your days activity pass you by, driving total so far that day near the end.

Yes you can access the driving hours and also get a display to tell you how long you’ve had it on POA and break. BEWARE though. More than 45min POA will wipe the driving time clean, but this still stands until you have had a 45min BREAK.

They are a right pain in the arse if you have to do any shunting though as every time you stop/start it adds 2 mins to the driving total. This can spoil your day if you have a long drive after loads of shunting.

mike c you should write the inst manual i have tried to do that for ages

Mike-C:
I use a siemens. Stopped with ignition on, press a button (up) >call main menu >press ok>printout driver one> press up> printout vehicle>press up>display driver two>press up>display driver one>press up>display driver one>press ok>scroll down and watch your days activity pass you by, driving total so far that day near the end.

I think (cannot remember the steps I took tbh) that is what I have done in the past. It would be so much more use to me to, say, swap the fortnightly driving total with daily driving total which is available with one press of the button when stopped.

With the siemens I find I have to press the scroll key for each line. It doesn’t seem to “fast Forward” which would help as I do loads of shunting about so have loads of lines on my activity list towards the end of the day which is of course when you need to know what time you have left!

I think the only way around this for ease is to make a written note of driving time used up each time I complete a ‘45’ and keep a running total to add to the current displayed driving time to get the daily total.

I cannot help but think that the software writers for these Digi Heads wasted an opportunity to make our lives so much easier by allowing us access to quick summaries to what we have done. Might have been nice if they’d updated the break recording function to take account of the 30 min requirement for a split break instead of the old 3 15’s rule.

I’d continue to use my DHG but as it doesn’t tally with the recorded driving time on the tacho due to all the shunting It seems pointless.

Still, if tacho’s were as good as they should be then we’d all keep legal and VOSA would have one thing less to beat us with and that wouldn’t do would it :smiling_imp:

lard:
I think the only way around this for ease is to make a written note of driving time used up each time I complete a ‘45’ and keep a running total to add to the current displayed driving time to get the daily total.

Thats exactly what I do if I know my days likely to psuh me to the upper daily limits, or if it ever gets put onto POA as thats where it really tries to confuss you!

In a word no. It’s ineptitude of the highest order that the digi tacho doesn’t show total daily drive time without having to press any buttons. The stoneridge shows drive time up to 4.5 hours whilst your driving so no need to press any buttons which is a start but you have to press the down arrow on the siemens. Neither show easily accessable total daily drive time. Muppetry.

Speed is only recorded for a 24hr period, then wiped…"!! :unamused:

make sure you make a note of driving period hours before you switch to poa(square box),cos mine wipes it off for some reason?.