Digi tacho and tramping

Ive been given a new MAN TGA with a digi tacho. Do i remove the card at the end of each shift or do i leave it in all week and just switch to rest mode.

Some remove it, some leave it in.

If you remove it there is no way that it can record anything other than rest. If you leave it in there is a chance you could not set it properly.

Saying that leaving it in is a lot less hassle.

I leave mine in permanently, making sure I switch modes.

It doesn’t record anything at all if it’s not inserted. In theory, when you put it in again, you should use the manual entry facility to record what you’ve been doing since you took the card out, but I don’t think many people are doing that.

E.g. If you have been on daily rest, then checked the vehicle over before you put the card back in, you would use manual entry to record both rest and other work. Leaving it in is easiest if you can - although I did forget to switch it once and had recorded other work all night! :unamused: :blush:

grumpybum:
… - although I did forget to switch it once and had recorded other work all night! :unamused: :blush:

Ah Ha. Does this explain the real reason for you wearing your PJ’s while working then? :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: :smiley:

I take it out,put No for manual entries and get a printout.that way it gives me the exact time I pulled it(so to speak)so I know when I can put it in again. :wink: I also check all my driving times against my book (which is usually spot on)better to check though and see if i’ve beaten the amount of OVERSPEEDS>>>>> I have from the previous day :unamused: :laughing: :lol

I have never left my card in even with analogue Tachos once I star my Daily rest,apart from when I went home for the weekend on the Friday and left it in :blush:

If I had a digital tacho I’d probably take it out as I’d be worried I might forget to change the mode to rest or somehow stupidly change the mode accidently later.

I always take my anologue tacho’s out at night…at one point I did experiment with leaving it in all night but one morning on leaving Lymm for Birkenhead docks I somehow managed to drive off with yesterdays tacho still in, basically because I was used to my old routie and just didn’t think! I always fill out my next day’s tacho the night before and its generally on my clipboard in full view the next morning. I only realised what I’d done when I was tramming on down the M56 and my sun-roof jammed open and as I looked up, my eye caught sight of the tacho and I suddenly realised what I’d done!

I take mine out everynight,i just put finish country in and then vice versa next morning.

I tramp around Europe all week, starting on Sundays.

I put my card in on Sunday morning and don’t take it out until I park up in the yard at the end of my trip. It hasn’t changed mode on its own yet as far as I know. I have forgotten to change mode once or twice though :blush: :blush:

if i’m in the truck overnight then i leave it in, if i am leaving the truck then i take it out, i’m usually away all week but occassionally get home for the odd night - if i do then i take my card home with me.
when my shift is finished i change the mode to rest and leave it like that until the next morning.
when i am nearly ready to start i change the mode then i do my walkaround daily checks so the card actually shows that i have done the checks, some drivers i speak to don’t change the mode in the morning - they just start driving and the mode changes but this proves that your have either not done your daily check or you have done it whilst on rest.

Coffeeholic:

grumpybum:
… - although I did forget to switch it once and had recorded other work all night! :unamused: :blush:

Ah Ha. Does this explain the real reason for you wearing your PJ’s while working then? :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: :smiley:

I’ve been sussed :laughing: :laughing:

johnny:
when i am nearly ready to start i change the mode then i do my walkaround daily checks so the card actually shows that i have done the checks, some drivers i speak to don’t change the mode in the morning - they just start driving and the mode changes but this proves that your have either not done your daily check or you have done it whilst on rest.

Spot on!