Digi tacho and ferry moves

I have been useing the digi card now for a month now and have got the hang of most of it, until last week when i had to do 2 ferry moves (one driving on to the ferry at Ouistreham, then 50 minutes driving to Sutton Scotney as the first available parking.
When the card was downloaded 50 minutes have been added to that days driving time so i had 2 infringments 10hrs 45mins driving time plus insufficent break, as i moved twice while having my daily rest.
Non of the instruction books tell you how to do it so does anyone know the correct way to record it,once on the ferry i put the symble to rest and the vehicle to ferry/train.
Do i use the out of scope option for the ferry moves ■■?

Not used the digi tacho yet so no idea how to set it to ferry rest, although I have been told it is a separate setting. However, you can only make the movements if you have driving time left, if you have used all your driving time for the day you cannot drive on and off the ferry, which explains the excess driving infringement. Also, you have to add the time for the movements onto your rest so if you made a movement of, or two movements totalling, 50 minutes you would not be able to resume work until 11 hours and 50 minutes from when you commenced your rest period, meaning you have had an actual 11 hours of rest. Resume before that time and that could be the cause of the insufficient daily rest infringement, you may have only had 10 hours and 10 minutes if you did not allow for the 50 minutes of movement.

Another cause of this infringement may be due to the fact the rest period must also still fall within the 24 hour period from when you started work after your last daily or weekly rest, as per normal daily rest requirements. As you would have had to have 11 hours and 50 minutes for the rest and movements that only leaves you 12 hours and 10 minutes for your shift - 11:50 +12:10 = 24 hours. You did 10 hours driving so must have had at least 1.5 hours of break, leaving only 40 minutes for other stuff during the shift. If you did not commence your daily rest period until more than 12 hours and 10 minutes from starting that day your rest does not fit into the 24 hour period so you will get an insufficient daily rest infringement as a result.

If you post your start time, amount of break, POA, Other Work during the day along with the time you commenced your daily rest - I guess this was while you where waiting to board the ferry, embarkation and disembarkation times and the time you resumed work the next day the infringments will be easier to pinpoint.

With a Siemens digi-tacho head, ferry movement is under Entry - vehicle.
To get there, with the engine off but ignition on
Press OK
Scroll down through
Print Driver1
Print Driver2
Print Vehicle
Entry Driver1
Entry Driver2
Entry Vehicle
Press OK
Scroll down to
Ferry movement (I think its actually the first option)
Press OK
wait for a minute for the head to make its adjustments
Press .<- until the display shows
Leave main menu?
Press OK
[/list:u]
Job done.

Cheers Coffeholic and Simon.
I can put it on to the ferry bit no problem its the 4 infringements which are 2 offences flaged twice basically not enough break and excess hours.
I started that morning at 0300 and by 1600 had 9.5 hours driving with 30 mins of other work.
So the tacho put to break at 1600 in Caen then i drove on to the Mont Michel at 1630 which added 4 minutes so now i put the tacho to rest and ferry/train.
We arrived in Portsmouth at 2200 and as i was in pole possition on the ferry i was strait out of the dock to Sutton Scotney which is 50 minutes driving so here i put the tacho to bed and ferry/train again i left S Scotney at 0500 the next morning.
On the second day i drove 9.5 hours again and the tacho added the 50 minutes to this and total driving for this day was 10hrs20mins.
I have asked vosa(there is a nowledgeable man in Portsmouth vosa Terry i think he had no answer) numerous times about these ferry moves and have never got a answer yet they say its a grey area’ :confused:
The problem for me now is i have now a infringement/event for 2 offences in the memory which mr kermit police will likely want a donation off me if i am checked i have done a printout and endorsed the back.
You wrote Coffeholic :confused:

you can only make the movements if you have driving time left, if you have used all your driving time for the day you cannot drive on and off the ferry,

That would cause a bit of a riot :sunglasses:

Sorry to go on about this but until now i have always counted the ferry moves as not counting as driving time on either day as it is not written anywhere in the regs :confused:Also it is vary rare that we drive more than 8 hours normally.
:confused: Also i have never moved a mode switch in my 33 years of driving which takes a bit of getting used to :confused:

Better pull up a chair and arm your self with a cup, or glass, of your beverage of choice, this is gonna be a long un. :wink: :smiley: I think I see the problem and I’m sorry to say you are bang to rights, let’s hope you avoid Les Flics for a while.

The insufficient daily rest thing first. You began your daily rest at 16:34 which is 13 hours and 34 minutes after you began work that morning and you are now on a reduced rest period because there are not 11 hours left until the 24-hour period ends at 03:00 the following morning. The problem is you can only interrupt a full daily rest for ferry movements, not a reduced one, and you only have 10 hours and 26 minutes rest time available to you — 13:34 + 10:26 = 24 hours — which is why you were flagged for insufficient daily rest.

It does not matter how much rest you physically take at the end of the shift because if the shift is more than 13 hours you are on a reduced rest period, like it or not. This catches many drivers out but the simple fact is the rest period must fall within the 24-hour period that began when you resumed work after you last rest period, in your case 03:00. Legally you could not board that ferry as you did not have a full daily rest available, due to the shift length of over 13 hours. Because you cannot interrupt a reduced daily rest period the only legal option was to begin your rest when you arrived in the port at 16:00, completed a 9 hour rest at 01:00 and catch the next sailing after that.

Even if you had started your daily rest at 16:00 when you arrived in the port, exactly 13 hours after you started work and then interrupted the rest period twice for the movements on and of the ferry — two movements have been allowed since the rule changes of 11th April - you would still have only taken 10 hours and 6 minutes rest by 03:00 the following morning, the latest your rest period must be completed by, as the other 54 minutes were driving.

Another thing to point out is the movements must be kept to a minimum and 50 minutes is pushing it a bit. If you drove past other suitable stopping places to get to where you parked that could be an issue with VOSA.

Excess driving. You arrived at the port having done 9.5 hours driving and then added 4 minutes to board the ferry and a further 50 minutes for disembarkation which gives a total driving time for the shift of 10 hours and 24 minutes and you are over by 24 minutes. This has resulted in an infringement being flagged.

I am not fully conversant with the workings of the digital tacho yet and am unsure as to why the 50 minutes driving time was added to both days, I suspect it was down to taking insufficient daily rest.

If you were charged by VOSA with this offence it would read something along the lines of ■■ hours with insufficient daily rest. ■■ being the period from 03:00 on day 1 until you took your next daily rest period, presumably at the end of day 2. Given the driving time on day 2 and break requirements — 9.5 hours driving, 1.5 hours breaks and say 30 - 60 minutes other work - ■■ would likely be somewhere in the region of 38 hours — 03:00 on day 1 through to 17:00 on day 2. It makes the offence look far more serious than it was given that you did actually have 10+ hours of rest in that period but it will help gain a conviction.

klunk/■■■■■■■■
I have asked vosa(there is a nowledgeable man in Portsmouth vosa Terry i think he had no answer) numerous times about these ferry moves and have never got a answer yet they say its a grey area’ :confused:

People always use the ‘grey area’ excuse when the haven’t a clue or are losing the argument, happens on here all the time. :wink: :smiley: The fact is VOSA have issued clear guidelines on how the interrupted daily rest and the movements are to be interpreted. See THIS thread and the post from geebee45 for conformation.

klunk/■■■■■■■■
You wrote Coffeholic :confused:

you can only make the movements if you have driving time left, if you have used all your driving time for the day you cannot drive on and off the ferry,

That would cause a bit of a riot :sunglasses:

Maybe so but not liking the rules does not mean you can legally ignore them. :wink: :smiley:

klunk/■■■■■■■■
Sorry to go on about this but until now i have always counted the ferry moves as not counting as driving time on either day as it is not written anywhere in the regs :confused:

Sorry klunk but it is. The fact there is an option to interrupt daily rest while using a ferry or train does not remove any of the other requirements regarding daily driving limits or rest and a daily limit of 9 or 10 hours is clearly stated in the regulations. If there was an exemption to these limits for interrupted daily rest then it would be stated and because it is not then the normal daily limits apply.

Thats answered the topic as profestionally as ever Coffeeholic cheers i think i understand why now,i thought the digi tachos were to make life easier but allas no chance and i bet there are more questions to answer on them.
I had better get on my way now with this load of fish for Boulogne so bye for now.KLUNK :smiley:

klunk/■■■■■■■■
i thought the digi tachos were to make life easier but allas no chance and i bet there are more questions to answer on them.

This isn’t exclusive to the digital tacho, all of the above is applicable to the analogue head units as well.

Just a update of this post about ferry moves i seem to have it at last so this is how i do it.
Arrive at port put the tacho to rest then to out of scope to drive on to the ferry then when stopped on the ferry back to in scope and rest and to ferry symble and the same to drive off,
To out of scope drive off then back to in scope and rest till break is completed then i dont get any infringements :smiley:
My first month i had 17 a4 pages of infringments but i am getting better only 2 a4 pages for november.