Digi cards.

Hi i just do a bit of weekend work as i am retired, they asked me if i could take out a newbie tomorow. Not having double manned since tacho days when you changed cards to the no 1 slot,do you have to do that with digi cards or leave them in slot 1 and 2 any info would help thanks Rob.

ferrymann:
Hi i just do a bit of weekend work as i am retired, they asked me if i could take out a newbie tomorow. Not having double manned since tacho days when you changed cards to the no 1 slot,do you have to do that with digi cards or leave them in slot 1 and 2 any info would help thanks Rob.

The person driving always has his card in slot 1, when you change drivers swop the cards over so the drivers card is in slot 1.

The co-drivers card should be in slot 2.

Sent from my mobile.

Also make sure that you allow enough time to do the changeover - it will typically take a few minutes to eject the cards, swap them over and insert them again as the head unit takes ages to register each change.

Is there any need for the OP’s card to be in a slot if all he is doing is showing the other driver the ropes and won’t be doing any driving?

weeto:
Is there any need for the OP’s card to be in a slot if all he is doing is showing the other driver the ropes and won’t be doing any driving?

The OP talked about changing cards over so it sounds like he may be doing some driving, either way he’s working and will be available for driving so technically he should use his driver card.

weeto:

If stopped by DVSA, and proven that he is an employee, could have some awkward questions to answer if he hasn’t got his card in.

As far as I am aware only driving instructors teaching learners are exempt in this sort of situation.

Sidevalve:

weeto:

If stopped by DVSA, and proven that he is an employee, could have some awkward questions to answer if he hasn’t got his card in.

As far as I am aware only driving instructors teaching learners are exempt in this sort of situation.

We had this on another thread didn`t we?
There is an issue here that slot two will only record POA when the vehicle is moving, and strictly the 2nd man is working so should be on Other Work. Seems to me though that the greater sin is to keep card out of slot two, as that is the drivers fault, not the fault of unsuitable (although Gov approved) equipment.

If you’re being carried in the vehicle to be able to drive it if it became necessary, then even if there’s no intention whatsoever to actually do any driving, then you must insert your card in slot 2, you’re looking at a £300 fine if stopped with it not in.

If you’re doing work whilst in the passenger seat, then this must be recorded on a printout and isn’t a excuse to not put your card in!

I got caught out by this recently so this is what I learned. Driver slot 1 passenger slot 2 change the cards over as the drivers swap. Now the tricky bit. The tacho is just like a face off radio and the two parts are not the same. The black box behind the screen records in 2 minute intervals so anything you want recorded must happen for a minimum of 3 minutes on the front screen. Slot 2 will be on POA when the driver is driving but if you both get out to work must be manually changed to working. The same with rest breaks although you should be able to rest on POA the Taco does not see it that way an EEC glitch. So if possible when driver 1 takes his breaks record breaks for driver 2 on slot 2. If you are going to drive for say 4 hours and then swap. Driver 1 needs to record 3 minutes of rest before swapping the card to slot 2 and then off you go having swapped seats. At the end of the day make sure to put both cards on a minimum of 3 minutes break before ejecting cards.

annoyingly if you are driver 2 you have to rely on driver 1 to get this right as the units above his head. I’m really surprised how many experienced drivers don’t know how to use a tacho. Having said that without glasses I cant see mine and yet I don’t need glasses to drive.

Sidevalve:

weeto:

I would say it is not required to be unless you are going to operate the vehicle under double manned regs, which are completely different to single man operations.
I’m not sure that the requirement for a driver travelling in a hgv as a passenger to insert a card when he has no intention to drive the vehicle can be breaking any law, especially if that hgv driver does not have a digicard, or does the law say a hgv driver without a digi card cannot be carried in a vehicle which has a digital tachograph fitted.

ukjamesuk:
I got caught out by this recently so this is what I learned. Driver slot 1 passenger slot 2 change the cards over as the drivers swap. Now the tricky bit. The tacho is just like a face off radio and the two parts are not the same. The black box behind the screen records in 2 minute intervals so anything you want recorded must happen for a minimum of 3 minutes on the front screen. Slot 2 will be on POA when the driver is driving but if you both get out to work must be manually changed to working. The same with rest breaks although you should be able to rest on POA the Taco does not see it that way an EEC glitch. So if possible when driver 1 takes his breaks record breaks for driver 2 on slot 2. If you are going to drive for say 4 hours and then swap. Driver 1 needs to record 3 minutes of rest before swapping the card to slot 2 and then off you go having swapped seats. At the end of the day make sure to put both cards on a minimum of 3 minutes break before ejecting cards.

Our Tachomaster system puts a note on to the effect that the first 45 minutes of the second man’s duty is counted as break, thereafter as POA. Since POA does not count towards working or driving time that keeps him legal until such time as he turns it to other work or commences driving.

I would question the three minutes of rest. For a start, any period of rest under fifteen minutes is not legal; and further to that, swapping seats outside of an official break of over 15 minutes would be counted as “other work” in the eyes of the DVSA so you shouldn’t be on rest anyway. Were you by any chance told this by your company’s driver trainer or on a DCPC course? If so, somebody’s misreading the rulebook.

Putting the tacho to “other work”, which most would default to on Driver 1 anyway, would be perfectly sufficient; and in practice you wouldn’t be rolling again in less than a minute, which is all the tacho needs to sort itself out.

weeto:
I would say it is not required to be unless you are going to operate the vehicle under double manned regs, which are completely different to single man operations.
I’m not sure that the requirement for a driver travelling in a hgv as a passenger to insert a card when he has no intention to drive the vehicle can be breaking any law, especially if that hgv driver does not have a digicard, or does the law say a hgv driver without a digi card cannot be carried in a vehicle which has a digital tachograph fitted.

If the second man is a driver, and being paid as such, whether he is driving or not he is required by law to account for his working time by using his digicard or by making a manual entry. It’s not only a ■■■■ sight easier to just record your time by using the Driver 2 slot, but as I said saves any hassle with DVSA if they get stopped.

Regardless of whether or not he needs to drive the vehicle, the second man is by definition available to do so, assuming of course that he has the necessary qualification. Even if he hasn’t (for example a class 2 man being driver’s mate on an artic) I would suggest that it’s still good practice to put your digicard in so that your hours of work are recorded.

The best way if you don’t want to just record poa if your just sitting in the left seat showing the driver routes and delivery points .
Put card in slot 2
Do manual entry and wait for card symbol to show complete.
Eject the card.
Continue your duty without card in.
Before end of duty .
Insert card into slot 2 and enter manual entries for the entire shift.
Eject card
You have completed a true record of your shift using Manuel enteries.

Im 99 percent sure if you have a tacho card you must carry it in any commercial vehicle in which you sit even as a passenger, even a little car derived van.

ukjamesuk:
Im 99 percent sure if you have a tacho card you must carry it in any commercial vehicle in which you sit even as a passenger, even a little car derived van.

Fortunately that 1% doubt reflects the true position…

Roymondo:

ukjamesuk:

Riddles you talk, knowledge you lack…

A driver who is issued with a driver card, has to carry it with him whenever he drives a vehicle within scope. And that would include a works van. It may not be required to have a tachograph fitted, but technically you will need to account for the time that you are driving ig, even if its as “other work”.

Failure to put your card in slot 2 when you’re supposed to is a £300 fine if stopped

If you’re being carried in the vehicle as part of your employment to be available for driving if it becomes necessary, then you must insert your card, no intention to drive is irrelevant, if you haven’t got a digi card issued, then you can’t insert it or drive the vehicle

I’ll throw in one to get cleared up, I have on occasions been the second man in the cab , usually at the customers request for security purposes , I am not qualified to drive the vehicle in any way ( 7.5t only for me ) although I have the full range of cards . Should my digi card be in slot 2 ? . I have never bothered in the past and seeing as I have given up on Grp 2 vehicles due to medical problems I shall not be likely to in the future .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

the nodding donkey:

Roymondo:

ukjamesuk:

Riddles you talk, knowledge you lack…

A driver who is issued with a driver card, has to carry it with him whenever he drives a vehicle within scope. And that would include a works van. It may not be required to have a tachograph fitted, but technically you will need to account for the time that you are driving ig, even if its as “other work”.

Since when was sitting in the passenger seat of a van “driving” it?

grumpyken52:
I’ll throw in one to get cleared up, I have on occasions been the second man in the cab , usually at the customers request for security purposes , I am not qualified to drive the vehicle in any way ( 7.5t only for me ) although I have the full range of cards . Should my digi card be in slot 2 ? . I have never bothered in the past and seeing as I have given up on Grp 2 vehicles due to medical problems I shall not be likely to in the future .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Nope, you’re not being carried in the vehicle to be available to drive it if it becomes necessary, as you can’t drive it! Do you’re not classed as a driver when you’re a passenger in it, so no requirement to insert your card.

If you needed to make a record for that day because due to driving under EU on another day, then you could if you wanted insert your card to make a record that way, but that’s upto you on what way you think is easiest to make the record