Digi cards etc.

I’ve just been told to apply for a digi card,as I’m getting a newer wagon shortly :angry: …this is bad news,because in my present wagon I’m excluded from Comrade Ken’s twilight zone :smiley:
Just a general question,are digitachs easy to suss out ? or do you require some formal training ?..are there any online sources where I can swot up ?
Any help/comments appreciated :confused:

This should get you started.

This may also help

And yes they are quite easy to use.

I for one dream of driving on my digi-card.

I have printed this page of and will keep it incase the need arrives. :unamused:

Cheers taco.

They are a piece of cake and five minutes tuition or 10 minutes reading the manual and you will be fine. I never want to use analogue again. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

Thanks for the links mate :slight_smile: the driving time display option looks useful,I’ve got a nasty habit of forgetting to stop/start my driver timer,causes me no end of headaches :blush:

Baggie:
Thanks for the links mate :slight_smile: the driving time display option looks useful,I’ve got a nasty habit of forgetting to stop/start my driver timer,causes me no end of headaches :blush:

You’re welcome m8.

Generally we only hear people bemoaning the negative side of the digital tachograph and never mentioning the positive attributes, I don’t use one now but to be honest I agree with Coffeeholic, I’d choose the digital tacho over the analogue tacho any day.

They are a pain in the arse, give me back analogue PLEEEEES… :cry:

Baggie:
Thanks for the links mate :slight_smile: the driving time display option looks useful

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the driving time display is not that useful and should not be relied on. The only time it is really any good is during the first driving period of the day or if you only ever take either a full 45 minute break or the 15 minutes first, 30 minutes second split break option. If you use POA or throw an extra 15 minute plus break into the equation then the timer counts this as break and will reset the timer to zero.

This is because the tachos work under the old rules where for example a break of 20 minutes and one of 25 was legal to make up the 45 minute break. It also incorrectly counts POA as break and will lump POA and break together in calculating when 45 minutes have been taken.

Example.

Drive 2 hours.

20 minute break.

Drive 1.5 hours.

30 minutes POA.

At this point the digi tacho will incorrectly reset the driving timer to zero as it adds the 30 minute POA to the 20 minute break. In reality you still require a break of at least 30 minutes and you have 1 hour more driving available before you need to take this.

Don’t rely on the driving timer, better to keep a separate record of how much driving you have done and what you have taken in the way of breaks which meet the requirements.

Having said all that they are easier than analogue and have several advantages over them. No charts to write out and then store carefully for anything up to 40+ days. No working out the name of the place you are stopping for the night, you just press a button to enter the country you are in, and occasionally for some countries the region. In long traffic delays they can actually save you driving time which can be handy on those days when you are going to be close to your driving limit and encounter a jam. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: No need to remember to change the time on the unit when the clocks change in March and October. They are just a few of the advantages I can think of and I really can’t see a downside to them over the analogue method of recording.

I still “object” to the time theft aspect (And am still conviced it’s real, and an issue that need sorting :blush: )

But . . . . .

I do find them very useful in a couple of ways.

For the first half of the day, I don’t bother with a timer (Although the time theft thing has caught me out more than once :roll )

And at the end of the day’s work, the sums are there for me, half done, in order to log the POA/Worktime thing.

And there’s no ■■■■■■■■■■■ about writing duplicate stuff first and last thing.

And I can’t run out of blank charts.

BUT . . . . . . It really matters if I leave my card in (but ejected) in the slot, get in my car and drive for almost an hour, then remember :blush: :blush: (Given that I’ve driven a Felixstowe motor, out of Felixstowe, and the following week driving a Birmingham motor :blush: :blush: :blush: )

dambuster:
I still “object” to the time theft aspect (And am still conviced it’s real, and an issue that need sorting :blush: )

Not as big an issue as some drivers try to make out, with a bit of care it can be limited to a few minutes per day. It is also a fair device with a guilty conscience, so to makes up for nicking the odd minute here and there it will give you those minutes back in heavy traffic. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: Over a week of driving on the UK’s congested road network it probably all works out as near as dammit even.