Digi cards and ferries

Just been given a new topline with a digi card.

Spend alot of time on the longer European crossings so i am often on daily rest. Easy with my old motor leave card in and write on the back which sailing and reason for 2 movemnts.

What i want to know is the best thing to do with this digi card.

For example.

Get to Portsmouth 2 hours before sailing then onto boat so when i get off the other side i will need more time to get my 11.

Now i wrongly assumed you could get to Portsmouth stick it on ferry mode sit for the 2 hours, onto boat off the other end finish break and then switch off ferry mode. But this dosent work as it switchs off ferry mode as soon as i move.

So whats the best procedure? I dont really like the idea of taking out card as then it records on main unit, vehicle moving without card.

I reckon the answer would be to do a printout and write the reason for moving on that.

This is what the brules state so think this is what you are after.

Journeys involving ferry or train transport

Where a driver accompanies a vehicle that is being transported by ferry or train, the daily rest
requirements are more flexible.
A regular daily rest period may be interrupted no more than twice, but the total interruption must not
exceed 1 hour in total. This allows for a vehicle to be driven onto a ferry and off at the end of a sea
crossing. Where the rest period is interrupted in this way, the total ■■■■■■■■■ rest period must still
be 11 hours. A bunk or couchette must be available during the rest period.

Hope that helps

daleyboy:
Now i wrongly assumed you could get to Portsmouth stick it on ferry mode sit for the 2 hours, onto boat off the other end finish break and then switch off ferry mode. But this dosent work as it switchs off ferry mode as soon as i move.

It’s not just ferry mode which is switched off when you move, it switches from rest as well because the movements don’t count as rest, you have to have 11 hours clear rest plus the time of the two movements. Remember this all has to fit into the 24-hour period which began when you started work after your daily or weekly rest so this means on days you are taking part of your rest on the ferry you will not be able to work much more than 12.5 hours before starting your rest while waiting to board. That will leave you 11 hours for the required rest period plus about 30 minutes for the two movements. You will be able to work less than 12.5 hours if the two movements will take more than 30 minutes.

daleyboy:
So whats the best procedure?

Get to the port and once you have completed the booking on and are parked waiting to embark stick it on rest. Drive on the ferry and stick it on ferry rest. Drive off the ferry, park, and stick it back on rest until you have had 11 hours total rest. Don’t forget to enter the ending country when you stick it on rest before embarkation and the starting country when you resume work after your rest period.

I’ll agree with what Neil has said, but will add an extra point as to what the VDO tacho does with the ‘Ferry Rest’ option.

Select rest after you have arrived at the port and done all that booking in thing. Select country for ‘end of duty location.’

Before you drive onto the boat select ‘Ferry’ then drive on. (all the ‘ferry’ option does is tell Police / VOSA the reason for you interrupting the rest period.

When you’re parked up on the boat select rest again.

When you get to the other side, select ‘ferry’ and drive off the boat.

Having parked up, select rest again and complete your 11 hour rest period.

Before you set off select country for ‘start of duty location.’

It sounds complex, in reality it’s a few button pushes and you’ll soon get the hang of it after a couple of goes. DON’T be tempted to do what the guy I chatted to last week was doing - taking the card out to hide the vehicle movements, it’s really easy to spot and gets you into all sorts of bother.

Now, if you have a Stoneridge tacho (unless they have changed the software options) you have to ‘start’ and ‘end’ each interruption. It’s a bit of a nuisance, but again only a couple of button presses extra.

Thanks for all the advice. what geebee said is what i was after, just the procedure of what buttons to press.

Thanks all :smiley:

Where the heck do I find the ferry mode on a VDO tacho?

I always do a printout with the timings on as well as the ferry mode. not had a pull yet with a digi tacho so dont know whats expected :confused: :confused:

allikat:
Where the heck do I find the ferry mode on a VDO tacho?

Enter the menu by pressing OK and scroll down past all the options for the driver - printout, display, entry - and printout for the vehicle until you get to vehicle entry and select that option by pressing OK. Then as far as I remember you scroll down once and you will see the option for ferry/train. It may be more than once to scroll down but it is in that section, I never have cause to use it so can’t recall it’s exact location.

I was told by a vosa man in Portsmouth that its 11 hours off plus the ferry moves .■■?
Also a problem is it can take up to a hour to get to the gate in Portsmouth so legally you can not go any where thats why i parked next to the vosa w,bridge and asked them, they had no answer apart from quoteing the above adding that as i will be driving 1 hr 50 on the ferry move i should have 12hr 50 off ,
:confused: any comments :open_mouth:

klunk/■■■■■■■■
I was told by a vosa man in Portsmouth that its 11 hours off plus the ferry moves .■■?

That’s correct, and both myself and geebee45 mentioned it further up this thread.

klunk/■■■■■■■■
Also a problem is it can take up to a hour to get to the gate in Portsmouth so legally you can not go any where

Correct, the two interruptions must not exceed 1 hour in total

klunk/■■■■■■■■
thats why i parked next to the vosa w,bridge and asked them, they had no answer apart from quoteing the above

No problem with them quoting the above, it’s what the regulations say after all.

klunk/■■■■■■■■
adding that as i will be driving 1 hr 50 on the ferry move i should have 12hr 50 off ,

But now they seem to be ignoring the rules because you cannot legally have 1 hour 50 minutes of interruptions, so saying you must take 12 hours 50 does not make it not legal.

The only legal way to do it would be to take a sailing that allows you to complete the 11 hour rest period before you disembark in Portsmouth, part before embarkation and the rest on the crossing.

The crucial thing to remember is that taking an interrupted rest does not remove all the normal requirements of a daily rest period and your working time, the two movements and the 11 hours rest must all fall within the 24-hour period which began when you started your shift that day. A lot of drivers fall foul of this by working over 12.5 - 13 hours and not leaving them self enough time to fit in the movement(s) and rest.

klunk/■■■■■■■■
:? any comments :open_mouth:

Only the ones above. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

I have spoken to the RHA about this problem today for one of our drivers that does Ireland/Continental I was told the best way of doing this is to get to the ferry port put it on break until you board then once boarded onto ferry then change the mode to ferry to denote that was the time of embarkation then get off the other side complete rest and carry on as normal!

Hope that helps