Digi Cards and Driving Assesments

Saaamon:
I think its quite degrading to have an “assessment”.

Whilst I sort of agree, I just view it as a bit of a practical question in the interview, as in a Graphic Designer (I know very tenuous link) shows a portfolio of work, but yeah when you break it down to a 30 min drive through town/dc/sc and a reverse it is a bit patronising.

And also it give bugger all of an impression cos I think we justify our money when something a bit awkward or out of the ordinary comes up not what you usually find on a 30 min assessment drive.

I usually know what sort of a driver I have driving next to me within 10 mins but that comes from years of assessing others

ROG:
I usually know what sort of a driver I have driving next to me within 10 mins but that comes from years of assessing others

I usually know what sort of driver I have next to me within 10 minutes, but that comes from years of listening to their bollox! :smiley:

Saaamon:

They are maybe the reason why some drivers just can’t get a job because they are crap drivers, they are doing the rest of us a favour by keeping them off the road.
And do you think it’s degrading for a pilot who has to do an assessment flight In a simulator before they let them loose in a multi million pound jet?

Saaamon:

Bet you wouldn’t be happy to have a man you’ve never met and know nothing about delivering into your daughter!

We had a guy come for a coach driving job at the last place i worked…i went to take him out for his assessment…he refused to put his digi card in as a)he was supposed to be on a 45, and b)he didn’t want his boss to know he had driven somewhere else.

Thanks very much, end of assessment, don’t call us…and we won’t call you!

Let’s get this straight… Some are worried that whilst in the process of “looking for another job” that their current employer might “get to find out” that you are so looking■■? :confused:

Once you’ve kissed goodbuy to something, it’s value to someone else to gain power over you has ceased.

“He who destroys a thing is the only one who truly controls it.”

A proper assessor would automatically fail you for attempting to falsify a tacho in any case. (get a printout to “accidentally lose before declaring” so the driving hours don’t appear on an extant digicard)
If I were an assessor I’d stand over anyone declaring the card “missing” whilst they phoned DVLA and ordered a new one! :smiley:
The other scenario this would all apply to are those drivers who work so many hours, they can’t afford to “slip in” a few extra on the assessment run on top, because it would put them over the 90 hour fortnight! :open_mouth:

the above may be true, but it doesn’t alter the fact that most would rather go for interviews/assesments etc without their current employer getting to know about it.
Once you have got the other job then you have nothing to conceal or worry about but initially most would rather play safe.
difficult to see how it could be done though.
Strictly speaking it’s not anything new as the same rules applied with analogue tachos and even log books.

weeto:

Saaamon:

They are maybe the reason why some drivers just can’t get a job because they are crap drivers, they are doing the rest of us a favour by keeping them off the road.
And do you think it’s degrading for a pilot who has to do an assessment flight In a simulator before they let them loose in a multi million pound jet?

the maoster:

Saaamon:

Bet you wouldn’t be happy to have a man you’ve never met and know nothing about delivering into your daughter!

I do understand the importance of assesments but i still think there degrading, i’d rather work for a company which just throw you a set of keys and tell you to get on with it, which was the case with my current firm. If a company treats you like an idiot from day one how are they going to treat for the rest of your employment?..