Digi Card

I’ve had a look through and i must have missed the info but can anybody tell me how to get a digi card in the uk?
i might be returning later this year for couple months and would need one to drive a uk reg truck based in uk.
long story cut short there by the way

I am guessing you’d have to trade in your Spanish licence for a UK one then they will let you have a UK digi card. You can’t have two you know. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

welshboyinspain:
I’ve had a look through and i must have missed the info but can anybody tell me how to get a digi card in the uk?
i might be returning later this year for couple months and would need one to drive a uk reg truck based in uk.

Why won’t your Spanish digicard sufice :question: - It’s all EU :confused:

welshboyinspain:

if you apply for a digi card in spain i think you can use it over here as spain is in the EU

my spanish digi card will be going back with my licence while i’m in the uk and you can’t have a digi card from one country and a digi card from another and even if it wasn’t the police in most countries prefer you to have documents that match the reg of your vehicle i.e. police in uk would prefer uk licence and digi card in uk truck with uk driver than foreign one which they might think rather strange, thats how it used to be in spain anyway

I assume you will be over here for some time which is why you MUST change to a UK licence :question: :question:

lets just say ROG that i might have a chance of working for a uk company and at the moment wouldn’t want to say who just in case doesn’t come off and they say i must have uk docs so while i have a uk licence still i don’t have a digi card because the one i have relates to my spanish licence and has corresponding numbers

welshboyinspain:
i have a uk licence

Ah - that’s different - as you have a UK licence…

APPLY FOR DIGI SMART CARD

thanks Rog as always a mine of information

Don’t you have to be a UK resident to apply for a UK digicard?

flying viking:
Don’t you have to be a UK resident to apply for a UK digicard?

UK licence required

ROG:
APPLY FOR DIGI SMART CARD

Thanks for that ROG. :smiley:

I’ll be going digital as soon as I can. :grimacing:

Rog, I think you should take a look at INF177B, which is the booklet telling you how to fill in your application for a digital tachograph driver card. In there is a section headed Residency rules, and the first paragraph reads “We cannot issue you with a digital tachograph driver card unless you are normally resident in this country. Normal residence means the place where you have personal or occupational ties”. It then goes on to say" All driving licence holders who have resided in the UK for less than 185 days in the last 12 months must provide proof of residency".

i said to rog when i asked the question i might be working for a uk firm later this year with a uk truck and therefore will be using my uk licence. i also have a uk passport which means as a uk citizen i am entitled to keep my uk licence. just out of interest flying viking are you a uk resident? as your post suggest you must be in uk for at least 183 days which is very hard for a european truck driver

I am a UK citizen, with a UK passport, and a UK licence, but I am resident in Canada, with a Canadian passport, and a Canadian licence. I want to be able to drive LGV in UK over the winter months, but it seems there is no way I can get a digicard, as I do not meet the residency requirements. So I have the crazy situation that I can drive trucks with a tachograph, but not the new trucks with the digicard. The authorities seem to frown on somebody having two licences for two different countries, but if you want to work in both countries, what alternative is there? I hope you find a solution to your problem.

flying viking:
I am a UK citizen, with a UK passport, and a UK licence, but I am resident in Canada, with a Canadian passport, and a Canadian licence. I want to be able to drive LGV in UK over the winter months, but it seems there is no way I can get a digicard, as I do not meet the residency requirements. So I have the crazy situation that I can drive trucks with a tachograph, but not the new trucks with the digicard. The authorities seem to frown on somebody having two licences for two different countries, but if you want to work in both countries, what alternative is there? I hope you find a solution to your problem.

if you have a uk licence it must have a uk address on it so apply for a digicard from that address and thats all there is isn’t it?
i understand what you are saying about residency but how can they tell if you are in canada or uk as long as card goes to uk address

The problem is , there is a direct question on the application form, “have you lived in another country in the last twelve months, which country, what date did you become resident in the UK?”. And then at the end,under the Declaration and Signature section, it states giving false information carries a fine of up to 5000 pounds or two years in jail. This is a little worrying to say the least. I think your situation is much easier than mine because you reside in Spain, and already have a Spanish digicard, which you can exchange for a UK one if you can satisfy them you are resident in the UK.