Digi Card

Hiya all i was asked a question about digi tacho’d trucks today can a drive without a digi card drive the truck if he make a log book style record of movements ?

Cheers Nick.

Aky31:
Hiya all i was asked a question about digi tacho’d trucks today can a drive without a digi card drive the truck if he make a log book style record of movements ?

Cheers Nick.

No, well not in-scope of EU regulations anyway.

If you drive the vehicle in-scope of EU regulations then you’re required to hold a driver card in order to drive a vehicle fitted with a digital tachograph, the only exceptions to this is if the driver card is lost stolen or faulty in which case you’re allowed to use the vehicle for 15 days.

Off hand I’m not sure what the penalty would be for not complying with this rule but I imagine the offence would be “failure to use a tachograph” which would be a possible maximum fine of £5000 (level 5) and a possible chat with the TC, so overall not a particularly nice experience :wink:

As tachograph said, if you’ve never been issued with a card then you can’t legally drive a truck fitted with a digital tachograph that comes in scope of the EU regulations. The only time you’re allowed to drive without one is if you have had one but it is lost or has become faulty or damaged.

Paul