Digi Card - ? Symbol

Hi,

I recently passed my Class 2 and have been on an Agency assignment moving skips on a Large building site. Once I have completed my shift, I basically remove the key from the ignition and head home. Therefore, as I don’t do a Debrief, I put the Tacho on Bed and head home but I have noticed by looking at my Print Outs, the Bed sign is registered for a minute then (as the key has been removed from the ignition) a ? sign has been registered, in this instance for my Rest period.

Can someone please clarify this is ok and if I were stopped by Vosa they would understand the ? is for a Rest period.

In future, if I had to Debrief at the end of my shift, I would do a Manual Entry in the morning accordingly but on this instance I do not think there is a requirement or this?

Thanks

The ? symbol denotes time that is “unaccounted” - i.e. not specifically recorded on the card as being Rest, Work, Driving or POA. In this country, it is assumed, in the absence of e.g. a written paper record stating otherwise, to be Rest. Different rules/interpretations may apply in other EU countries. What you are doing is fine and DVSA won’t bat an eyelid about it. If you were doing other Work after card ejection then yes, you should do a manual entry on next card insertion to account for this.

Roymondo:
The ? symbol denotes time that is “unaccounted” - i.e. not specifically recorded on the card as being Rest, Work, Driving or POA. In this country, it is assumed, in the absence of e.g. a written paper record stating otherwise, to be Rest. Different rules/interpretations may apply in other EU countries. What you are doing is fine and DVSA won’t bat an eyelid about it. If you were doing other Work after card ejection then yes, you should do a manual entry on next card insertion to account for this.

Many thanks for the clarification, just want to keep myself right, starting now to have a better understanding of the Tacho.

When in future, if I have a Debrief (or other work) after getting out the vehicle, I will do Manual Entries in the morning, thanks again.

The company I work for interprets the ? Symbol as meaning ‘out of scope’ and has the drivers using it at the end of the shift/week to register that we are no longer with the vehicle (we do not tramp).

“Out of Scope” has a completely different and specific meaning - it is used when the vehicle is being driven but the driving itself is not covered by drivers’ hours regulations.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk