Digi card removal

We have had a memo go up in work saying that when removing the digi card at the end of your shift you must select the rest mode, otherwise it will count it as duty time.
This is a new one on me and I can’t find anything about it in the operating instructions, does anyone else do this or am I missing something?

I don’t have a choice. Whenever you turn the ignition off in my truck it automatically selects rest mode on the digi.

Handy when finishing for the day, not so great if you jump out in a hurry at a drop and forget!!

I seem to remember some posts saying that different makes or models of digitacho act in different ways on this issue.

Your company probably has the sort that stays on other work mode and is trying to help you.
If you do find that the wrong mode has been on then just do a manual entry with an explanation.
I’m sure VOSA have had many like this…

Big Roy:
We have had a memo go up in work saying that when removing the digi card at the end of your shift you must select the rest mode, otherwise it will count it as duty time.
This is a new one on me and I can’t find anything about it in the operating instructions, does anyone else do this or am I missing something?

i would say there right mate cos in fact you would be on rest as you have just finished you shift

one thing that vosa can do you for in not using you mode switch properly

it’s your duty to use the mode switch in the right way and if you on rest that’s what the digital tachograph shows that your on rest if you leave it on work you would have to do a manual entry in the morning explaining what you did from when you finished the night before, putting it on rest at the end of your shift tell everyone that your on rest not other work

delboytwo:
i would say there right mate cos in fact you would be on rest as you have just finished you shift

Technically most people are not on rest though when they take their card out. Even locking the truck up and taking the keys to the office, for example, is technically “other work” as you’re not freely available to dispose of your time, so recording it as rest is effectively committing the offence of creating a false record. The only way to ensure a 100% complete and accurate record is to use the manual entry feature of the tacho when you start your next shift to fill in the gap between one shift and the next.

Paul

Big Roy:

My best guess is that the tacho analysis software they have bought is so badly written that it defaults to the last recorded mode for any period that the card isn’t in a tacho, therefore assuming you haven’t had your daily rest if the last record is “other work”. I would certainly be very surprised if the ministry have done anyone for it. Plus as I have posted above the process of taking your card out and locking the truck up is surely technically “other work” and not “rest” anyway, so by putting it on rest before you take the card out you’re creating a false record.

Paul

I’m not sure about that doing or not doing the mode switch makes much difference (at the end of a shift) Although, I do remember reading somewhere that you have to tell it where you finished.

But when i put my card in first thing in the morning, the machine asks me if the last ejection was the end of that day, and I tell it “Yes, I’d done for the day” Oh - and it asks me if I finished in the UK, of course I tell it yeas to that too.

I would say that is dodgy advice from your company. Do you immediately begin your rest when you eject the card or do you still do some work in walking to the office to hand paperwork in? I always leave it on other work when I eject it and at the start of the next shift add 5 or 10 minutes to the end of the shift to allow for the time between leaving the vehicle and actually finishing work.

repton:
…so by putting it on rest before you take the card out you’re creating a false record.

I agree.

I have been using a digi card almost constantly since they have been in use (56 plate onwards) I have never had an infringement for not putting on rest before ejecting card…

Think someon’s pullin your pi55er :smiley:

i think i know why there may be asking them to do that if you leave you mode on work and end you shift when you come in in the morning it will ask you if you want to do manual entries most drivers probably don’t do them and this is why i think there may want you to put it on break. if you look at your print out you will see a amount of time with a question mark next to it and that is cos you did not put it on rest or do any manual entries and there software probably does the same

delboytwo:
i think i know why there may be asking them to do that if you leave you mode on work and end you shift when you come in in the morning it will ask you if you want to do manual entries most drivers probably don’t do them and this is why i think there may want you to put it on break. if you look at your print out you will see a amount of time with a question mark next to it and that is cos you did not put it on rest or do any manual entries and there software probably does the same

I have never put it on bed and have never done a manual entry for what I have been doing all night… (lol) … Never had an infringement

McPloppy ©:

delboytwo:

I have never put it on bed and have never done a manual entry for what I have been doing all night… (lol) … Never had an infringement

Me neither, only a manual entry to add 5 or 10 minutes to account for the time between taking the card out finishing work and another manual entry for the time between starting the shift and getting to the vehicle. The only time I put it on bed at the end of a shift is when I am on a night out and leaving the card in.

Thanks for the replies guys, some very interesting points made