Digi Card Question

Just a quick question.

Today whilst our driver at our company was taking his break a rush load had to be picked up just around the corner and taken to our yard, easily done in 45 mins. My plan was to slot my card into slot 2 on the tacho keep the main driver on rest and put myself to driving mode, I had done this but when I moved off it automatically switched him back to driving and me to POA, why is this??

I should really have made a manual entry for my previous days other work before setting off but i find it confusing trying to enter 3 days of other work, I’m sure they could make this set up simpler.

Scott

if your driving your card has to be in slot 1

Only position 1 records driving. When you say you had put your self to driving mode, with your card in the second slot, you hadn’t. There is no driving mode for position 2 and you cannot select driving mode for the card in slot, it is done automatically when the wheels start turning. While the vehicle is moving position 2 can only record POA, while stationary it can record POA, Other Work and Rest/Break.

If the other driver did not get his required break because your driving registered on his card he will have to make a print out explaining why.

As driving is recorded automatically you can only have one slot recording driving otherwise in multi-manned operation a false record would be made for the driver whose card was in slot 2. Even if there was a button to push to switch teh driving from slot 1 to 2 it could lead to problems, drivers have problems remembering to use the mode switch correctly as it is, and would also be wide be open to abuse.

euroscot:
I should really have made a manual entry for my previous days other work before setting off but i find it confusing trying to enter 3 days of other work, I’m sure they could make this set up simpler.

Depends what you mean by 3 days other work. If you mean 3 days at another job then you would only need to enter start and finish times.

Coffeeholic:
Only position 1 records driving. When you say you had put your self to driving mode, with your card in the second slot, you hadn’t. There is no driving mode for position 2 and you cannot select driving mode for the card in slot, it is done automatically when the wheels start turning. While the vehicle is moving position 2 can only record POA, while stationary it can record POA, Other Work and Rest/Break.

If the other driver did not get his required break because your driving registered on his card he will have to make a print out explaining why.

As driving is recorded automatically you can only have one slot recording driving otherwise in multi-manned operation a false record would be made for the driver whose card was in slot 2. Even if there was a button to push to switch teh driving from slot 1 to 2 it could lead to problems, drivers have problems remembering to use the mode switch correctly as it is, and would also be wide be open to abuse.

euroscot:

Depends what you mean by 3 days other work. If you mean 3 days at another job then you would only need to enter start and finish times.

That did cross my mind, but if I take his card out and switch it with my one it would interupt his break. When I got back I did tell him to take a print out and write what happened on it. It’s an engineering firm I work for but drive the lorries when needed, I’ll have to read up on how to make manual entries, I hate running with things not right.

euroscot:

Coffeeholic:

euroscot:

That did cross my mind, but if I take his card out and switch it with my one it would interupt his break.

You interrupted his break anyway. If you had taken his card out it wouldn’t have interrupted his break, he wasn’t doing anything and was still on break. When he finished his break and you returned he could simply have reinserted his card and made a manual entry to cover the gap in his record which would record his complete break.

euroscot:

Coffeeholic:

euroscot:

That did cross my mind, but if I take his card out and switch it with my one it would interupt his break. When I got back I did tell him to take a print out and write what happened on it. It’s an engineering firm I work for but drive the lorries when needed, I’ll have to read up on how to make manual entries, I hate running with things not right.

tbh wouldnt it have been easier for him to take his card out, and stay out the truck while you go off and what you have to?