Digi card printouts

Can anyone give me some advice? I have just gone self employed and have been printing off my hours from my digicard at the end of each shift. But I need to prove that I haven’t worked on my days off. This seems to be impossible as the tacho just skips past the days that I haven’t worked. How can I provide proof that I have taken the required rest times?

itchyfeet:
Can anyone give me some advice? I have just gone self employed and have been printing off my hours from my digicard at the end of each shift. But I need to prove that I haven’t worked on my days off. This seems to be impossible as the tacho just skips past the days that I haven’t worked. How can I provide proof that I have taken the required rest times?

Why ■■?

Why not? Surely it’s better to prove that I have been working within legal limits than to just have no printouts for my days off. Without this proof I could have been working too many hours. I would rather have the proof and not need it than to be asked for it and not have it!

itchyfeet:
Why not? Surely it’s better to prove that I have been working within legal limits than to just have no printouts for my days off. Without this proof I could have been working too many hours. I would rather have the proof and not need it than to be asked for it and not have it!

You are required to record your working time. There is no requirement to record your non working time.
If you need “proof” of when you didn’t work, then not having a work record for that day would actually be “the proof”.

Cheers Mike.

itchyfeet:

Just an expensive waste of paper taking printouts at the end of each shift, all the information is on the card so no need for a printout unless you are explaining a deviation from the regulations or your card is lost, stolen or defective. The fact you are self employed makes no difference.

You are under no obligation to prove you haven’t been working on your days off, it is up to the authorities to prove you have if they had doubts

I have been advised that I need to download all my hours and keep records for 1 year because I am a limited company driver so I think I do need to use all that paper after all. As my card only holds 28 days information I am printing and keeping records to be on the safe side.

itchyfeet:
I have been advised that I need to download all my hours and keep records for 1 year because I am a limited company driver so I think I do need to use all that paper after all. As my card only holds 28 days information I am printing and keeping records to be on the safe side.

You’ve been advised incorrectly, it is the operator of the vehicle(s) who needs to download the records and keep them not the driver. Being a limited company driver doesn’t change that.

Your card will hold a lot more than 28 days, about a year is the norm and if the next time it’s in a tacho unit have a scroll back and see how far you can go. The card only has to hold a minimum of 28 days but it will store months of data.

itchyfeet:

As has been said you’ve been advised wrong, only the operator has a legal obligation to download and keep the driver card data.

If you did need to download the driver card data printouts would not help, the operator has to download the data from the driver card not make daily printouts, but anyway that’s the operator not the driver regardless of the drivers employment status.

When you have some time to spare check how far back you can read the information on your driver card, if the card has been used long enough you will be able to go back months not days :wink:

Ok thanks for the advice

itchyfeet:
Ok thanks for the advice

Sorry 4 not getting back itchy I was off to work …but the questions been answered…
The only time you might need to prove you’ve not worked is if you take holiday and then all you do is write yourself a letter stating the dates off :wink:

nick2008:

itchyfeet:
Ok thanks for the advice

Sorry 4 not getting back itchy I was off to work …but the questions been answered…
The only time you might need to prove you’ve not worked is if you take holiday and then all you do is write yourself a letter stating the dates off :wink:

If he only does UK then doesn’t even need that, of course that might change if he goes to Scotland after Friday. :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue: :open_mouth: :sunglasses: :smiley:

Coffeeholic:

nick2008:

itchyfeet:
Ok thanks for the advice

If he only does UK then doesn’t even need that, of course that might change if he goes to Scotland after Friday. :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue: :open_mouth: :sunglasses: :smiley:

thought I said that but I didn’t did I :unamused: :blush:
see a long night all 7.5hrs of it all over time :wink: :wink:

So if the operator fails to download data for their drivers cards every 28 days can they get fined by the Vostapo (DSVA)? or is the 28 day time frame just advisory rather then matatory,

tommy t:
So if the operator fails to download data for their drivers cards every 28 days can they get fined by the Vostapo (DSVA)? or is the 28 day time frame just advisory rather then matatory,

The driver card should be downloaded no later than 28 days from the day after the last download, that’s not optional it’s a legal requirement.

tommy t:

It’s mandatory, as is downloading the data from the VU.

So an operator would be having tea and biscuits with ms bellnd then for failure to do this ,or would it be slapped wrist (warning)?