Digi Card Malfunction

Ok on Friday 26 June my card malfunctioned tried it in other reader still malfunctioned. So posted it to DVLA on Mon 28 June no post after 12.00 on Saturdays or any time Sunday. They received it on the 29 or 30 June as it was on their system on the 30 June. So i used the vehicle print out till Midnight Sat 10 June as my 15 days are up. Rang DVLA up this morning and they said “they started processing my new card on 30 June and posted back to me on the 9 July”.
On the form D777B (which you can download) it says Replacement driver cards will be issued within 5 working days of receiving a valid application. It took them 9 days to put it in the post but won’t go out till Mon morning the 12 July so should receive it Tues 13 July but no guarantee.
On the form it says.
You can only drive without a card for up to 15 calendar days(or longer if this is necessary for the vehicle to return to its premises), as long as you can prove that you could not use the card during this period. During this time you must keep records of your driving using the Vehicle Unit printout facility.
Now in my opinion this should be changed to 15 working days as in my case,and others as the Postman and DVLA do not work on the weekends. So i have lost 2 - 4 days of my 15 just because of other people not working. Now i can not work till i get my card back, between 1 and 4 days loss of pay.
I think is totally wrong and the wording/law should be changed to 15 working days at least.
How do we go about changing this ?
Please help Mark

. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome Lakanooky2 :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .

Lakanooky2:
How do we go about changing this ?

If UK law then changing the law which means contacting your local MP who will then ask the DfT if anything can be done for a case such as yours and if the DfT say no then your MP can present a case for changing the law in the houses of Parliament.

If this is an EU law then the process has to be done in the EU Parliament so your MEP would be your best bet

In either case - you’ll probably be retired by the time something, if anything, is done…

Hi Coffeeholic
When i spoke to VOSA they said as the law stands at the moment 1minute after your 15 days, you can be stopped and receive an on the spot fine of £200.If your boss or company know about it they receive a fine all so.
Whilst talking to a VOSA traffic officer who had never heard of it tacking so long, to process and post (9 DAYS) his work mate said he has heard of 5 or 6 cases like this in the past 2 months.So really its sound like a growing problem with the DVLA not VOSA. I think if it is law the 15 calendar days should be changed to at least 15 working days.Now the thing is,(they as in THE DVLA ) have 15 working days to process and post your new card, but we as drivers have 15 calendar days to send off and receive our cards,how wrong is that.
Copied of the form D777B
You can only drive without a card for up to 15 calendar days
Replacement driver cards will be issued within 5 working days
of receiving a valid application. First applicants and renewal
driver cards should be received within 15 working days from
the day we receive your application. It might take longer if we
have to check your personal details. If your card does not arrive
in this time, you can contact us in any of the following ways:
Does anyone know of any drivers this has affected ?
Mark