Digi card - keeping your own records

Ive been browsing looking for a suitable card reader for my digi card so I can download and keep my own copy of the info on my card Im aware I need a card reader to do this, however what software do I need, and where can I get a copy? I`ve looked at the tachodisc website but found nothing.

Can anyone help?

tachodisc.co.uk/products/dig … gital.aspx

2 software products on that page.

I’ve been looking into this too. Based on that Tachodisc link from Neil, it looks like an expensive idea, as my best guess is you’ll need “Clockwatcher Lite” and a card reader which even for the cheapest card reader works out at over 140quid once you’ve put the VAT in.

Paul

If you went down the pirated software route and found a torrent of it, it would be cheaper but illegal. Your call.

My boss gave me one of those Digi-Fob things.
It’s quite good because, among other things, it gives you your total working time for the week.

Coffeeholic:
If you went down the pirated software route and found a torrent of it, it would be cheaper but illegal. Your call.

I myself would NEVER go down the route of illegal downloads - it’s just not my way of doing things - but like you say, its each to his own - and in this case, at his/her own risk.

From the little demo of the “Clockwatcher” program, it does look way OTT for most drivers - and certainly for those who work for a company. But it does look as though it would come into its own for a busy TM - especially if he is in charge of a fleet moving rapidly towards all digital tacographs.

I feel that most individuals would be just as well using one of the cheap downloaders in conjunction with the rest of his/her written records.

SuperLez:

Coffeeholic:

I myself would NEVER go down the route of illegal downloads - it’s just not my way of doing things - but like you say, its each to his own - and in this case, at his/her own risk.

I’ve no use for it myself but I was just pointing out it is out there, as is just about every piece of software, if someone wants to go down that route. Still need to fork out for a card reader though.

SuperLez:
From the little demo of the “Clockwatcher” program, it does look way OTT for most drivers - and certainly for those who work for a company.

The demo is of the full program though, the lite version would be more suited to drivers who want to keep their own records.

SuperLez:

Coffeeholic:

From the little demo of the “Clockwatcher” program, it does look way OTT for most drivers - and certainly for those who work for a company. But it does look as though it would come into its own for a busy TM - especially if he is in charge of a fleet moving rapidly towards all digital tacographs.

I feel that most individuals would be just as well using one of the cheap downloaders in conjunction with the rest of his/her written records.

At this point its justs worth noting that the employer is responsible for monitoring his drivers hours. As such other than just ‘being nosey’ about what you have been doing there is no onus on a driver to make sure he complies with the WTD or EU rules other than what he can see in his 28 days recordings. So having either Tachographs or , in the case of digital, something like the Digi fob (available from the FTA) or a Drivers hours guard (available from Davey Driver) that is as much as you can do. You can almost guess that some drivers are going to alleviate their employers of any blame if they make a misdemeanour by saying ‘i record and log all my own hours’…Doh !!!
There is nothing to be gained by looking at your ownhours, your employer is responsible for it, leave them to it !! If you ever get pulled or asked by VOSA or the Police just say nothing or “i don’t know nothing, see my boss”.

I could not help noticing chat about the Digifob.

I know we make them but I just wanted to say these are aimed squarely at the driver to get over the need for a reader and software.

The digifob displays;

Last Activity
Last Daily Rest
Weekly Rest
Weekly Summary (work and drive time)
Break and Rest infringements.

Not trying to advertise just trying to be informative, I hope.

Mike-C:
There is nothing to be gained by looking at your ownhours, your employer is responsible for it, leave them to it !! If you ever get pulled or asked by VOSA or the Police just say nothing or “i don’t know nothing, see my boss”.

Yes but I am (in common with many others on here) also my boss/employer as I’m a Self Employed Freelancer, so the onus is on me to keep everything in order. I have a spreadsheet I use for WTD compliance and I scan my analogue tachos, hence looking for something so I can keep my own records of my digi shifts too.

Paul

repton:

Mike-C:

Yes but I am (in common with many others on here) also my boss/employer as I’m a Self Employed Freelancer, so the onus is on me to keep everything in order. I have a spreadsheet I use for WTD compliance and I scan my analogue tachos, hence looking for something so I can keep my own records of my digi shifts too.

Paul

Would it work if you scanned the digi paper readouts onto a word doc or spreadsheet :question:

ROG:

repton:

Mike-C:

Paul

Would it work if you scanned the digi paper readouts onto a word doc or spreadsheet :question:

In the long run it would be expensive if you have to buy the paper and not as practical as computer software.

There was another program that sold for about £100 complete with reader but I can’t find it, some-one on TruckNet bought it and reckoned it was good.
If I can find a link I’ll post it here.

Downloader Solo Driver Card Kit

I’ve no idea how good this is but I do remember some-one here saying it was OK.

Our lot have given me a digifob to test.

To be honest I’ve had it six weeks and probably used it twice. In fact - I can’t even remember where I’ve left it!! :blush:

For me it’s of no real benefit. I put my card in at the beginning of the week and take it out at the end of the week. I can get what I need off the vehicle unit.

That said, if I was removing my card on a daily basis I think it would be very useful.

As an aside - is anyone else having many infringements? I got called in this week and asked to look at a heap of of infringements with the TM. Couldn’t believe it as I’m pretty careful about keeping within the law. Can’t remember the last one I had when I was on analogue.

Anyway - on looking at the infringements we soon realised we have problems. On one of them - Siemens VDO analysis reckon I started work two Fridays ago at 0500, finished at 1600, then started two hours later at 1800 and worked until 0600 on the Saturday morning!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

The boss sat there scratching his head trying to fathom it out, then I told him that on that Friday night the lorry was used by Clive, one of our night men. (I remember it clearly because I offered him the use of mine after the one he was going to use wouldn’t start.) He looked at Clive’s records and sure enough there it was. Both of us driving at the same time!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

The TM said, ‘You best not sign any of these till I’ve had a little chat with the IT helpdesk’.

I fear there may be trouble ahead!! :smiley:

We handle millions of rows of Digital Tachograph data.

You do not say whether you removed your driver card but one must assume that you did. This problem is likely caused by a card removal fault. In effect the Tacho does not know you have removed your card. It is likely either the tacho or the card will have registered a fault, possibly power. These issues are extremely rare but they can happen.

The Digifob is quite useful here as you could have scrolled back through the card data to spot such issues.