Digi card downloading law

Afternoon all,
I am working at Bunzl,Trafford Park through an agency and i am into my third week and it looks like its ongoing till January.At the end of the first week i offered my digi card to the transport manager, and he told me they dont allow agency drivers to dowload cards as it takes up valuable space on the computer,Now i am a bit worried because I am sure it is law to download digi cards no later than 28 days since the previous download.
Am I correct in this or can I carry on driving without downloading.Also i do not have access to other computer as i am working for the one company doing a 5 day week.
Thanks for any advice on this.

No law, you’re in charge :grimacing: and if self employed who’s going you know :sunglasses:

You made your card available for download, you’ve fulfilled your obligation. The TM is a cabbage. It’s his problem now.

As said your only legal obligation is to make the card available for download which you have done, the company are failing to comply with the download rules but that’s their problem not yours.

You’ve complied with the regulations so there’s no comeback on you and no reason why you should stop driving for them.

jjmorris1960:
Afternoon all,
the transport manager, and he told me they dont allow agency drivers to dowload cards as it takes up valuable space on the computer,

Not much of a TM, his company should have that data.
And how old is his computer to worry about hard drive capacity?
just had a look at the file that gets downloaded and it’s 25kb, considering some PC are being offered with a terabyte of storage that’s a hell of a lot of Digi card files.

jjmorris1960:
Now i am a bit worried because I am sure it is law to download digi cards no later than 28 days since the previous download.
Am I correct in this or can I carry on driving without downloading.Also i do not have access to other computer as i am working for the one company doing a 5 day week.
Thanks for any advice on this.

I think the company is really responsible to download the card, but if you want it downloaded for peace of mind then you just need any body with a download kit to do it and they can email you the file.

Does you agency have a facility to download the data?

Contraflow:
You made your card available for download, you’ve fulfilled your obligation. The TM is a cabbage. It’s his problem now.

contraflow is correct, you have made your card available, that’s all the law requires, if they choose not to download it that’s their problem not yours. the data will remain on your card till its over written, and this is dependant on how many mode changes happen.
I checked mine last week and I can go back to the 1st of june, DVSA can’t see whether the card has been downloaded or not.

We have a download machine but also someone downloads the units at the end of the week so they will have the data

When I’ve worked at Hermes Southampton Agency’s had to down load their card at start and finish of the shift

blue estate:
When I’ve worked at Hermes Southampton Agency’s had to down load their card at start and finish of the shift

This is fairly normal with many companies where agency/temp drivers are concerned - Downloading the card at the start of the shift enables them to confirm that you are legally able to do today’s shift, while downloading at the end of the shift means they have captured everything they need from you even if you never drive for them again.

as above but some will also check your time sheets against this, as an agency driver always I do manual entries to show correct start time