Digi Card at weekend?

My current employer asked me if i would leave my digi card in my folder on a friday along with all the weeks paperwork/reciepts.I asked him if it was so he could download it and if so could he do it while i wait aswe were in the office,he replied oh just leave it we will pop it in your cab ready for monday.
Right normally i wouldnt object to this but was wondering do i have a right to refuse it leaving my possesion for the weekend when it only takes couple mins to download while i wait? Also im only doing mon-frid now so what if i get an offer of the odd sat-sun working for friends,do i have to ask permission to do work elsewhere from my current boss,if my weekend work doesnt result in me breaking drivers hours rules does it matter? I have a feeling that him asking me to leave my card all weekend might be because he might of heard ive always done extra bits for friends but if he downloads it weekly he would see what other work i were doing anyway and until i break any law it shouldnt cause concern surely??
After all i could just get weekend work using vehicles with analogue tachos if he were tryin to stop me using my card.
So 1: Do i have to leave my card as asked.
2: Do i have to ask permission to do weekend work elsewhere.
3: Or do i have to tell current employer about other work in the first place.

Im sure others will know exact law on this but when recieved my digi card for the first time it said in all gumff that comes with it that I have to keep it on me at all times surely that includes when not driving this could be the way of saying to your boss not happy about leaving card over weekend ? jx

Would you leave him your Credit Card and PIN ? Even if you were to drive an anologue equipped vehicle you are still required to have the digital card with you.The authorities know that you have been issued with a digital card and would expect to see it upon request.

Your card = your property = your responsibilty

Now it’s your choice to do what you think is right for you

You must have the card on you when driving commercially but that requirement is not for other times

Volvofh16:
1: Do i have to leave my card as asked.

No.

Volvofh16:
2: Do i have to ask permission to do weekend work elsewhere.

Maybe, what does your contract say?

Volvofh16:
3: Or do i have to tell current employer about other work in the first place.

Yes, he needs to know for the WTD.

ROG:
Your card = your property

Incorrect. Just like your driving licence your digi card remains the property of the Secretary of State for Transport.

That’s where the argument those drivers make about refusing to let anyone download their card because it is their property and is therefore against the Data Protection Act falls down.

Our boss asked the same of us after one of the lads was found to be doing a sunday for the agency and not informing the company,he didnt realize the sunday work showed up as soon as he downloaded his card at the end of the week :open_mouth: we all refused to leave our cards at work over the weekend as to be honest the could organize a ■■■■■■■■ in amsterdam,so a compromise was agreed that we downloaded at the end of every shift and at the start of our first shift after anytime off (weekend,sick,holidays,etc) then they could see if the card had been used (of course anybody with half a cheating brain would just tell the agency he could only drive an analogue,but im a good boy :unamused: )

hmm, bosses I have worked for would not be given my card at the weekend, maybe they have a weekend driver who doesn’t have a card yet :unamused: :wink:

There are some rum lads around the East Riding. I know because I was one of them :stuck_out_tongue: