Different ways to fund course?

Hi guys

I’m 18 years old, left school in May 09, don’t attend College or Uni and I’m on JSA. I have sent an application away to ILA Scotland for a £200 grant towards the help of a ‘course’. £200 of which I won’t need to repay them.

I live at home with my mum and like aforementioned, I live off Jobseekers which is £53.45 per week. Is there any other sort of thing that I can do to manage payment towards my LGV course in any way?

Thanks

Try finding a job doing anything I know how hard it can be but keep at it you will get there if you try hard enough

Save anything you can ( my son did have 1 of those tins that you cant open & put money in each week even though he was working & could save in just over a year had nearly £500 with only £2 coins )

animal:
Try finding a job doing anything I know how hard it can be but keep at it you will get there if you try hard enough

Save anything you can ( my son did have 1 of those tins that you cant open & put money in each week even though he was working & could save in just over a year had nearly £500 with only £2 coins )

Definitely going to start doing this. Thanks for the tip :slight_smile:

To be honest with you age It will be very difficult getting a job. Im on the 24/25 boarder but ive been lucky because ive had taxi insurance for nearly 5 year with no claims as a professional driver so some places take that into account.

Sam, there is nothing to stop you doing a few hours LGV training every week or month if that is better for you

All you would need is a LGV training provider who can accomodate you

I know of one chap who did 4 hours LGV training every other weekend until he was deemed ready for test

Seriously, I really really don’t want to be the guy that discourages you but at 18 and especially in ayrshire there is a 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000001% chance your going to get work.

At the very least you’d need to be trying to use agencies in the Falkirk area to have any chance of getting work. You’ve done the right thing on asking and sadly there is no where other than ILA that will fund anything so you’d be expected to fund the other £900 - £1000 yourself.

Stick with the frame of mind your in, get a job and save for a year or two then by the time your 20 I know for a fact where you’ll get some work.

Good luck!

You could get yourself a job, save up like the rest of us. At 18 your going to be lucky to get a job driving, get a normal job and apply whilst your already working.

I would stick that 200 quid into a counterbalance fork lift training course, and get a job in a transport depot, probably a company who run their own vehicles, mention the fact that you might want to go driving at some point and if you are any good, they may even help pay for your tests and give you a start.

Nothing stoping you getting your licence yep it will be hard to get a job as I think you already know

But Wheel Nut has give some good advice the other is become a fitter for a HGV company & in time they may put you through your test or you will be able to save up for it

I know someone who done there licence young & just sat with it for a bit went off done another job for 20 + years although on odd occasions did drive but then left that job & went driving full time so it can happen think you should have something to fall back on ( I do dont wish to use it but will if need must )

Hi Sam
I think I was one of the last ones to be able to get mine funded on LVP but i was on carers benefit and its been a total mess up mate to be honest I wish now that i could have funded it my self …its taken from february till june to sort out and get as far as my cat C 23rd aug i faild my cat CE and now have a wait to re sit the test .
If you do get funding this is what happens …
once you have applied you have to get an estimate for the course I got one for £2295.00 and that was everything FLT/ HYAB /C AND CE so it was a good estimate …and that was a gauranteed pass if you fail you only have the re-test to pay . £115.00 its cost a lot more now than the estimate i put in .
Then you put that in and the form then goes to Proc serve who tender the job out on there web site and
who ever tenders the right price for the job of training you GETS the job even if they dont offer a gauranteed pass .so i wasted my time getting a good estimate from a well known trainer and doing my reaserch on the web before i even applied .
Then I was sent miles from home (had to travel 45mile each way) to do my training in an area i dont know // no driving assesment // then about 16hrs before test over 4 days . I didnt have a choice in the matter at all …
Belive me mate like wheelnut and animal have said use the £200 wisely to get a FLT ticket and then you can get your foot in the door of a transport company some where some companies will if they like you put you through and use you as a spare driver … or Re-locate have a look on stobbarts web site they have just taken on a lot of apprentices in warrington in fact some are on this site . search stobbarts apprentaships .
Best of luck mate :laughing:

Hi guys and thanks for all your posts and input, I really appreciate it.

But why, should I be deterred with the threat of no work? I’ve seen many people my age around here get a job within the first week of signing on to an agency, don’t get me wrong, they don’t all get as quick as that and I know and always have known that finding work at my age in a lorry as big as they are is going to be hard with insurance as high as it is.

However, I won’t let that put me off and I’ll get my head down and think of ways to fund it. So far, I’ve got £300 towards it and that was just since I made this thread. :slight_smile:

Please don’t think I don’t respect your input, I really do but there are others out there like me who have jobs, and I’m inspired by their efforts. :slight_smile:

Cheers

along with wat others have said i would try for a apprenticeship at a truck dealer/mechanics possibly even look at firefigther failing that just take any job tesco or cleaning and save and good luck

Sam Millar:
I’ve seen many people my age around here get a job within the first week of signing on to an agency

Are you sure these people are not pulling your ■■■■■■■ There are few agencies in Ayrshire and I know for a fact the main ones don’t touch under 23/25’s…

I would honestly get your forkie test and get in that way first. Gives you a bit of experience with trailers because I think, sadly you will be dissapointed. There are far more old hands and middle age drivers out there gagging for work than an 18 year old and obviously the agencies will take the former.

Not trying to disuade you, just being realistic - I’ve been in the exact same position as you a few years ago…(just a few years older!)

stagedriver:

Sam Millar:
I’ve seen many people my age around here get a job within the first week of signing on to an agency

Are you sure these people are not pulling your ■■■■■■■ There are few agencies in Ayrshire and I know for a fact the main ones don’t touch under 23/25’s…

I would honestly get your forkie test and get in that way first. Gives you a bit of experience with trailers because I think, sadly you will be dissapointed. There are far more old hands and middle age drivers out there gagging for work than an 18 year old and obviously the agencies will take the former.

Not trying to disuade you, just being realistic - I’ve been in the exact same position as you a few years ago…(just a few years older!)

No, they’re not having me on, I know for sure. :wink:

Wheel Nut:
I would stick that 200 quid into a counterbalance fork lift training course, and get a job in a transport depot, probably a company who run their own vehicles, mention the fact that you might want to go driving at some point and if you are any good, they may even help pay for your tests and give you a start.

^^ +1

I’d say that is a good idea for you mate. Even if you look for any warehouse work in a company that run their own vehicles. You’ll definitely have your foot in the door and will make things easier for you, as Wheel Nut said there is a strong chance that once you’ve been there a while and proven your dedication they more than likely will help you with the funding of the course.