Different trailer / chassis manufactures

Some old names cropping up on here ,I remember peak made caravan chassis too and Whitlock would that be the same as backhoe loaders ?

Prailes. Hereford made trailers, can’t think of the name. Lol

The Boys Own:
Boden of Oldham I think

I passed my test with a tandem Boden flat .

John West:
Was it ‘Walker’ trailers from the North East?

Remember Bill Keith saying that the owner had flown over in his plane to Flookburgh airfield, flown Bill over to the factory for a look round, then flown him home.

Pretty good PR!

John

It was Tony Walker John from Middlesborough now he was a real character a right smooth little bugger,used to call on me at Milnthorpe in his Roller during the early mid 70’s always looking to buy something and to try and temp you he always had a brief case with a few grand of “readies” stashed in it ! He used to advertise in Commercial Motor but always objected to their column charges so he used to jam his wording into on continuous “spiel” no gaps or full stops etc.I think Bill Kieth would get a tipper trailer or so from Tony Walker about the time Millom shut down.Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

John West:

Remember Bill Keith saying that the owner had flown over in his plane to Flookburgh airfield, flown Bill over to the factory for a look round, then flown him home.

Pretty good PR!

John

It was Tony Walker John from Middlesborough now he was a real character a right smooth little bugger,used to call on me at Milnthorpe in his Roller during the early mid 70’s always looking to buy something and to try and temp you he always had a brief case with a few grand of “readies” stashed in it ! He used to advertise in Commercial Motor but always objected to their column charges so he used to jam his wording into on continuous “spiel” no gaps or full stops etc.I think Bill Kieth would get a tipper trailer or so from Tony Walker about the time Millom shut down.Cheers Dennis.

So, he didn’t tempt you Dennis? I get the impression from what you’ve written there that he was a bit too smooth and you suspected a catch!

Seem to remember Bill saying that the trailers were ok.

John

John West:

Bewick:

John West:

Pretty good PR!

John

So, he didn’t tempt you Dennis? I get the impression from what you’ve written there that he was a bit too smooth and you suspected a catch!

John

I wouldn’t buy a “match stalk” of the bloke John and besides he was always trying to beg stuff of you for buttons which accounts for him flashing the cash,no doubt he got lucky at times because he always had plenty of stuff advertised but again it was of no interest to me !Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

John West:

Bewick:

John West:

Pretty good PR!

John

John

I wouldn’t buy a “match stalk” of the bloke John and besides he was always trying to beg stuff of you for buttons which accounts for him flashing the cash,no doubt he got lucky at times because he always had plenty of stuff advertised but again it was of no interest to me !Cheers Dennis.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

John.

Dan Punchard:

The Boys Own:
Boden of Oldham I think

I passed my test with a tandem Boden flat .

One Boden tandem flat :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Bristol twin axle

e3861.jpg

Bewick:
My first direct involvement with trailers was when I got my first artic in 1969 which was a 26ton gvw Mastiff which to realise it’s full potential had to have,prefferably,one of the then new single wheeled tandems.Pitt trailers seemed to be the the popular choice at the time but I didn’t reckon those centre knave wheels which they had to use on the narrow track axles they fitted which were the same used on twin wheeled tandems.There was also a problem with “over braking” as a result of just using the standard tandem axle running gear.However,I made enquiry’s at Primrose Engineering in Blackburn and they offered to build me a 32 foot trailer using wide track axles and Mastiff (Guy?) fron’t axle hub and brake assemblies which meant I could use a standard 1100x22:5 wheels which were exchangeable with those on the unit.The outfit gave us trouble free running while we ran it and the braking and tyre wear were spot on.Cheers Bewick.

We had a Pitt Tandem Four behind an AEC Mercury rated at 26 tons GTW. 19 tons payload made it a very profitable outfit to run in the days when most loads were charged on £x per ton.

Add to the list Swan trailers of Hindley Green, still in business today, mainly “specials” and conversions.

Tidd at Sandy Beds or out that way

Box trailers■■?

Forgot about H. Tidd - superb box trailers

Here’s one of a few Tidd trailers I ran back in the '70’s. It’s made of GRP and built on a Merriworth step frame chassis, running Rubery Owen running gear + oil filled hubs, fitted with 10.00 x 22.5 tubeless tyres - did quite a few trips with Astran but, here the unit is pulled by a short lived company, Trebfell International.

Bromilow and Edwards of Bolton plus Pilot Works tipper bodies, all part of the famous Edbro group (Edwards Brothers).

Probably from more recent times Rothdean of Cinderford, Glos.
Clayton Tankers
YEWCO Tankers (Yorkshire Engineering & Welding Company)
Charles Roberts of Horbury Junction
Carmichael of Worcester
Weightlifter

Target Trailers Blyth, Donbur lightweight Trailers,R Anco Trailers from Newhouse…Regards Larry.

Also King Trailers, Brockhouse, This picture of ours has a Whitehead Trailer, Made somewhere in Yorkshire perhaps, ■■, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Target Trailers Blyth, Donbur lightweight Trailers,R Anco Trailers from Newhouse…Regards Larry.

Wern’t Target those strange trailers with a centre spine for a chassis Larry ? Don’t think they lasted very long from what I can recall.How many of them did you run Larry? :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Wern’t Target those strange trailers with a centre spine for a chassis Larry ? Don’t think they lasted very long from what I can recall.How many of them did you run Larry? :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.

We never owned a Target trailer, They used to twist all bloody shapes & you had to be very carefull when loading them as the chassis was on the outside, so there was nowt in the middle, They were no good for coils on anything very heavey, they were not one of my faves, We only had 1 York, 1 Whitehead, 1 C/F which was a Tipper, 1 old Tasker lowloader for a short while, Regards Larry.

Would I be correct in saying ANCO trailers were made by Sam Anderson from Newhouse, ANCO meaning Anderson & Co, ■■, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Would I be correct in saying ANCO trailers were made by Sam Anderson from Newhouse, ANCO meaning Anderson & Co, ■■, Regards Larry.

I’ve got mixed up here Larry and yes the Target did have that outer frame but I’m thinking there was also a trailer that used a single centre spine as the chassis ? it must be this parky weather Larry that’s fuddling me brain! Cheers Dennis.