Different slant on xmas

I think that when you reach a “certain” age, you have pretty much amassed everything you reasonably want in life (and i stress “reasonably”). If you aint got it by middle age, you probably dont really want it that badly, or dont want to put in the gargantuan effort required to get it. Anyhow..............with that in mind, my dear old dad and i decided that rather than foist things on each other like aftershave we never use, chocolates we dont want, socks we dont need etc., we will, for the second christmas in a row, split the cost and send a £100 cheque to Children in Need. We dont do this to feel pious in any way, we do it because we really dont want anything from each other that we dont already unconditionally get. If a few more souls would spare a small donation to worthy causes like these at christmas time, maybe - just maybe, a bit of the old spirit would return, instead of the cynical retail fest that has hijacked the traditional yuletides of years ago.
If this resonates with you on any level, why not send a few toys/clothes to a local children`s home or similar this year, and spread a little goodwill?
Just a thought…

If your happy to do then then fair play to you,me personally I wouldn’t…I have a very sceptical view in these charities taking money from people day in day out.
If love to see proof that every penny goes direct to where it is supposed to,Take children in need for example every year they take millions on one night yet these kids in Africa are still starving,there are still countless homeless people in the uk ect ect.
Yet those that hold the top positions command salaries us mere HGV drivers can only dream of,which is funded by donations.

Charity begins at home hun…

Don’t be manipulated by what they say…

Even your local charity shop has a manager that is paid and the rest give their time free…

express.co.uk/news/uk/582911 … live-Cooke

Top post ■■■■■■■!

I don’t buy any presents unless you qualify as a child, which leaves me precisely two to buy. i don’t get a load of stuff that I don’t like, nor do I give people stuff they don’t want. Win, win.

Used to do some volunteer driving for a small dog re-homing charity, some of the smaller charities were desperate for any donations, there were certainly no frills and the people that ran them paid themselves barely more than subsistance money. Give to the local charities if anyone wants to take up ■■■■■■■’s suggestion.

if your charity shop is based in a derilic building,is staffed by doddery old coffin dogers and runs a scrappy £500 smiley transit for collections,then its worth donating to…anything else is a con,simple as that.same as the bags of sweets for £1 etc…just a total con,some goes to charity minus expences,meaning 99% is into somebodys pocket.all the sanctimonious ones campaigning for you to donate arnt exactly penniless after their own donations so once again,a double standards con for the gullible.id give to the dog rescue willingy before id give the rest a penny.

Same as these “charity” bags you get through your door seemingly on a weekly basis now,for the company to register as a charity all they have to do is give 10% of profits to a charity.
This fools the general public into thinking they are donating their goods to charity because it had a charity no on the bag,for every £100 they make they give £10 to charity and £90 to themselves seems like a fair deal…for them!
The bags,I find make good liners for my kitchen bin.

Thanks for your thoughts on this, fellas. I must admit, a good few years ago i read something along the lines of Oxfam swallowing up 40 percent of its income in "administration/salaries" which i found rather unethical to say the least. When i was living in Yorkshire, a friend told me of a woman they knew who was a "high flyer" within this outfit, and her salary and expenses, along with her first class ("business" class) global travels, 5 star hotels etc., all in the course of her position came to a tidy sum - all out of charitable proceeds of course. So, i can see the reasoning behind the cynicism towards the big organisations, and will have a re-think as to how we could make sure our small contribution actually reaches those it is intended for. Quite tricky to achieve on reflection, and any suggestions welcomed. :slight_smile: Just bear in mind though, that not [u]**all**[/u] charity giving is a wasted gesture. Its better than not doing anything at all - especially if you are fortunate enough in this life to be comfortable and still have a surplus.

I dont give to charity. Only because I believe that money doesn’t solve any problems. Go have a look at what the NSPCC bods get paid. People tend to give to charity as its easy just to give someone a few quid and feel good. I would go and help out at a food bank. Homeless shelter visit elderley people or give blood for the poor souls that get into trouble over xmas. But i like your style ■■■■■■■.

Give to the RNLI. It is funded entirely by donations.

Some good stuff being posted here.I hearda bod from the RNLI talking on the radio,the presenter asked why they are not Government funded ,even partly. Turns out if they were they would have to risk assess and comply with H and S which basically means not going to sea in bad weather.I have had three bags delivered to my mail box wanting my old clothes.Do they not look at the rags that I normally wear?

alamcculloch:
Some good stuff being posted here.I hearda bod from the RNLI talking on the radio,the presenter asked why they are not Government funded ,even partly. Turns out if they were they would have to risk assess and comply with H and S which basically means not going to sea in bad weather.

Wow! Never heard that before. Not doubting you btw, but that really is a sad indictment of the world we live in.

The Air Ambulance service is funded solely from donations as well, we had an interesting talk given by them at our club one night last year.

Pete.

I always put to the Air Ambulance well you never know,as for charities that help overseas not a chance isn’t that what foreign aid the circus government dishes out?.
Between us me and my good lady give to cats protection,dogs home ,pdsa,dogs trust and sponsor 2 guide dogs a lion and a leopard.

As said too many charities on the beg atm why is it all the adverts are on at tea time trying to eat my tea and you get kids covered in flies.
Could do with 1 for the patio in the summer stop the flies coming in the house with the doors open lol :grimacing:

I get totally brassed off with the constant flow of begging mail from charities . my pet hates are help the aged , i’m in my 70s and heart foundation as i have heart problems . one of these days i’m going to phone them and ask what they are offering me .

So glad i launched this thread, and youve all given me food for thought. Its looking like Children in Need are going to lose out this chrimbo, in favour of a more carefully chosen recipient.
Thanks, folks.

the maoster:

alamcculloch:
Some good stuff being posted here.I hearda bod from the RNLI talking on the radio,the presenter asked why they are not Government funded ,even partly. Turns out if they were they would have to risk assess and comply with H and S which basically means not going to sea in bad weather.

Wow! Never heard that before. Not doubting you btw, but that really is a sad indictment of the world we live in.

Talking to an rnli bod years ago said something very similar, if they were government funded they would have to make-do with basic cheap equipment. As they are they buy the very best that they can afford. This was before the plague of h&s of today, which no doubt strengthens their resolve even more.

Héraultais:

After giving to a couple of charities over the years on a regular basis (direct direct ££ per month thingy) which I have then cancelled due to the excessive marketing and condescending phone calls asking me to increase the amount I give and also bombarding me with glossy leaflets through the post (presumably designed and printed using money given in donations) , RNLI the only large charity which I still contribute to by a membership. They have never asked me to increase my contribution via the phone or sent me any begging letters. Once a year I get some tickets to buy/sell to enter the christmas lottery along with a catalogue for their RNLI shop. Every quarter they send me a magazine in the post telling me of projects they are running and what rescues they have carried out, interviews with crew members etc. etc.

KarlM:

Héraultais:

After giving to a couple of charities over the years on a regular basis (direct direct ££ per month thingy) which I have then cancelled due to the excessive marketing and condescending phone calls asking me to increase the amount I give and also bombarding me with glossy leaflets through the post (presumably designed and printed using money given in donations) , RNLI the only large charity which I still contribute to by a membership. They have never asked me to increase my contribution via the phone or sent me any begging letters. Once a year I get some tickets to buy/sell to enter the christmas lottery along with a catalogue for their RNLI shop. Every quarter they send me a magazine in the post telling me of projects they are running and what rescues they have carried out, interviews with crew members etc. etc.

Absolutely bang on, mate. I hear time and time again about folk being bombarded with reasons to increase their donations, which only ever serves to alienate the giver, and ultimately lead to cancellation of the debit. Its for that reason that its often better to just send a cheque periodically, which denies them the contact details that they so often abuse. Some of these charities must surely lose more funding than they gain by adopting such shallow, indiscreet tactics.

I give nowt. Hate Children in Need with a passion and Comic Relief. The “can you spare £10/month” emotional blackmail kids in hospital charity ads are steadily appearing, I have no heart strings pulled by them. Famine ones I detest, I pay my taxes to fund foreign aid so I wont donate. Even the Sally Army I ignore, sorry but most tramps had a good job and house and lost it to drink drugs and gambling.
And don’t start me on refugees.

Currently thinking of giving a donation to Great Ormond Street hospital this year, on the notion that theyre not an international or corporate entity. Having taken into account everyones comments on the larger, more mystery enshrouded charities, maybe these people are actually credible and worthy recipients?

Be nice!!!