Different recruiting method

Just thought I’d share this with all new drivers as it could be of use.

My office had a call this morning from a Nottingham haulier not just wanting one of our recently passed drivers (that happens from time to time) but he wanted a PARTICULAR driver and gave us his TNUK name. I’ve pm’d the guy so they can get in touch with each other.

The reason I’m sharing this with you is that the employer was impressed with this drivers’ attitude and questions on the forum. He could have picked any number of new drivers, but his perception was that this was the one for him. He wont employ experienced drivers.

So it may just be worth considering that potential employers are, apparently, using the forum. I’d never thought of that - but it’s interesting.

There’s a thing!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I hope that driver posts on this thread and tells us how it went

ROG:
I hope that driver posts on this thread and tells us how it went

i agree, and fair play to the haulier for looking here for his staff.

Just out of interest, what sort of work is it? What sort of posts has this member been making that have made him stand out as an attractive proposition? Seems like an unusual way to recruit staff, but I guess it’s better than taking pot luck with agency newbies if you’ve already got a bit of an idea as to their character!

Just out of interest, what sort of work is it? What sort of posts has this member been making that have made him stand out as an attractive proposition? Seems like an unusual way to recruit staff, but I guess it’s better than taking pot luck with agency newbies if you’ve already got a bit of an idea as to their character!

I’m not being difficult, but it’s a haulier I’m not familiar with and I’m not going to disclose the driver’s identity. Hopefully, he/she will when there is any progress.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

OK fair enough Peter, thanks

Would it possibly be an idea to have a thread on here where people could place their CV’s for downloading. Not sure of the technical issues and restraints with the site for maintaining privacy etc but i’m sure something could be done.

For a different approach to presenting a CV take a look at talkingcv.com

I also have another interesting take on the thread title. Last week we took a call about CPC from a guy who had passed Cat C with us in Sept 2011 then C+E shortly afterwards. He told me that after hearing the usual 2 years experience bit from agency after agency he was getting a bit depressed about the whole thing. This despite living in Ipswich, close to Felixstowe docks where driver demand is still fairly strong.

He finally decided to go it alone and had business cards printed trying to sell his driving services as a complete freelance LGV driver. He got a few small jobs initially but asked the companies that did use him if he could put their logo on his website and letterheads. His says that every company was fine about it.

He now works full time, is booked for several weeks ahead and has even been asked if he can provide other drivers, something he is not inclined to get involved in. He now has around 15 companies that use his services. I asked his rate and he said he was asking and getting £15ph monday-friday and £23ph for any weekend work. He uses a bank to factor the invoices so that payment is virtually instant.

Probably not for everyone but worth thinking about. He is still 6 months short of 2 years experience for the Cat C.

LGVTrainer:
Would it possibly be an idea to have a thread on here where people could place their CV’s for downloading. Not sure of the technical issues and restraints with the site for maintaining privacy etc but i’m sure something could be done.

For a different approach to presenting a CV take a look at talkingcv.com

Its something we looked into John, but as it stands the forums are not covered by the data protection act, to do what your suggesting involves a lot of work to ensure all personal data is protected- and there has to be someone paid to monitor it- a legal and financial minefield that I could not make a business case for- we have the CM jobs site that is self funding as that’s about as good as we can do at the moment- nothings for free and there are a lot of things that I would like to do , but some how some way its got to be paid for- any extra expense has to be countered by revenue and as far as I can see there is no way of making this idea self funding unless we charge, in which case

1. no-one will sign up for it
  2. It goes against the principle that TruckNet is free to the end user (you lot)

If you have a business model that may work then talk to me - but as I said we looked into this and could see no realistic way of making it work

LGVTrainer:
I also have another interesting take on the thread title. Last week we took a call about CPC from a guy who had passed Cat C with us in Sept 2011 then C+E shortly afterwards. He told me that after hearing the usual 2 years experience bit from agency after agency he was getting a bit depressed about the whole thing. This despite living in Ipswich, close to Felixstowe docks where driver demand is still fairly strong.

He finally decided to go it alone and had business cards printed trying to sell his driving services as a complete freelance LGV driver. He got a few small jobs initially but asked the companies that did use him if he could put their logo on his website and letterheads. His says that every company was fine about it.

He now works full time, is booked for several weeks ahead and has even been asked if he can provide other drivers, something he is not inclined to get involved in. He now has around 15 companies that use his services. I asked his rate and he said he was asking and getting £15ph monday-friday and £23ph for any weekend work. He uses a bank to factor the invoices so that payment is virtually instant.

Probably not for everyone but worth thinking about. He is still 6 months short of 2 years experience for the Cat C.

A great story John and the same from Peter as well.

What would be the best place in the country to live and get a Class 1 job?
Where in the country getting a job as a Class 1 or Class 2 driver is the easiest?
Any ideas guys?
I’ve just passed my Class 2 and I’m doing my Class 1 in April, living in East London but I’m thinking I might be even willing to move wherever jobs are if I do not find anything soon around where I’m currently living.
Thanks