Different rear light clusters for R420

I’ve just broken one of the rear light clusters on my 59 plate R420, trouble is they are mounted proud on the back of the ramps and are very vulnerable when turning around anywhere tight. It’s a problem that was apparent on our previous Scania with similar body, we could fit some form of cages around them but I reckon that fitting smaller units would be better as they would sit inside the frame of the ramps and not protrude.

I’m wondering if these from a Volvo FM would be a plug and play fit, they look like they have the same plug. Any thoughts?

kE9s4,Bu0EBRKyL,VG7!~~60_35.JPG?set_id=8800005007)

Alternatively some LED ones might be the answer but would they cause conflict with anything else as they have a different power rating?

Cheers
8w

Just fit the scania ones fitted to post 2011 models. They are the same as the man lights

Check out “Rubbolite” looks like one of theirs,they have been around years your local “factor” should have or be able to get them! got the same on my Hino&Volvo no problems getting them :exclamation:

hgvdirect.co.uk/catalog/rubb … 00077.html

£30 each… simples

LED ones are over £200 each + vat

Proper OEM model

hgvdirect.co.uk/catalog/scan … -4458.html

£31.35+VAT

Probably easier to get that one as the pins will be the same

Call me thick , and I’m sure you will , but the prices were for a whole unit which just need bulbs and wiring in , or just the lens ?
Seems awful cheap to me.
Jim

Ring and ask. Should be the whole unit. HTC Direct are really good for oem parts, 8 quid for airlines etc. Shania charge 25 for an air line

Autocorrect… Hgv direct and scania…

Thanks trubster, prices are good.
8Wheels, I agree about the siting of lights on ramps mine also sit proud of ramp and crack if you look at them too hard.
We need a better design of mounting them in the ramp, suggestions please chaps.
Jim

what about changing the lamp unit’s to continental style lamp’s, so if a lens break’s, there pretty easy to come by, and fairly cheap.

The Scania units are reasonable at £44 for the whole unit, just plug it in and add the bulbs and it’s a go-er. Trouble is they are so bloody ■■■■■■■■■■■ the newer Scania units would probably be a better option but I don’t think there is really enough width to mount them horizontally, and because of the shaped clear bit I think they’d look odd in the vertical.

work 00733.jpg

This is the vehicle in question after it had had the lights broken by a runaway 7.5t, the smaller Volvo units would not need to mount on the flat plate and angle brackets but would sit inside and become almost flush.

After looking at the Scania lights I went to our auto electric suppliers round the corner and had a look at what they had, they had the DAF LF / Volvo FL type which would fit, an Iveco cluster that was about the size and depth of a 2l ice cream tub and also an LED cluster similar to the DAF LF units which were only £50 per unit. They were all wired but not the plug in type which I was after for an easy fit. Oddly none of their catalogues showed the Volvo pattern ones I was after.

I’ll have to call at the Volvo dealer and see what the plug in situation and unit cost is going to be.

Any thoughts as to whether the LED units would cause issues?

Obviously we’d be replacing both units at the same time, the unbroken one would be a spare for our artic.

Cheers

Just to add that I need this to be an easy fix as I’m a bit of fkwit with electricals and trying to get our plant fitter to work on the lorries is a bit of a task. It’s not that he won’t it’s just that there’s always something else to fix first!

Can you not move them higher up so they sit in the underside of the ramps? That’s what I did with a truck I used to drive.

I don’t think that moving them will bury them deep enough, I think the answer is smaller units turned through 90 degrees to horizontal. Also I’m sure there are C&U regs about placement on the vehicle to consider.

Volvo lights are a different plug wiring so won’t plug and play and I would say that goes for any other manufacturer as well.

Led will need to have a resistor fitted to stop the light on the dash going mad. Also they probably won’t have reverse lights either which might be something to think about.

If I was you I’d fit the same ones and make guards for them

8wheels:
The Scania units are reasonable at £44 for the whole unit, just plug it in and add the bulbs and it’s a go-er. Trouble is they are so bloody ■■■■■■■■■■■ the newer Scania units would probably be a better option but I don’t think there is really enough width to mount them horizontally, and because of the shaped clear bit I think they’d look odd in the vertical.

This is the vehicle in question after it had had the lights broken by a runaway 7.5t, the smaller Volvo units would not need to mount on the flat plate and angle brackets but would sit inside and become almost flush.

After looking at the Scania lights I went to our auto electric suppliers round the corner and had a look at what they had, they had the DAF LF / Volvo FL type which would fit, an Iveco cluster that was about the size and depth of a 2l ice cream tub and also an LED cluster similar to the DAF LF units which were only £50 per unit. They were all wired but not the plug in type which I was after for an easy fit. Oddly none of their catalogues showed the Volvo pattern ones I was after.

I’ll have to call at the Volvo dealer and see what the plug in situation and unit cost is going to be.

Any thoughts as to whether the LED units would cause issues?

Obviously we’d be replacing both units at the same time, the unbroken one would be a spare for our artic.

Cheers

Regarding these lights and our conversation yesterday, I told our mechanic this morning and he said £51 for the same Scania units.
Trailer was tested today so I’ll see how long they last.
The shiny new lenses I mean.
Jim

The DAF LF that you mention is actually a Renault light unit ,but I guess Volvo haven’t got round to using it …I know you said you where after a quick electrical fix ,but DAF do do plug kits…It would probably take 2 hours max to fit lamps and plug kits…Sometimes there isn’t the quick fix as you would like …But the Renault DAF light unit is probably the best option in the long run