Different opinions!

Hi all,

Not long now till I am out of the Army :slight_smile:

I am currently on leave, so i decided to to do a bit of registering with agencies around the area ready for D-Day.

So, off I jolly well trots to a well known agency (DH), I did a bit of work for them about 12-18 months ago doing class 1 work and had no problems what so ever. I had to re-register with them, again not a problem thinks me, and then the nice lady in question asked me what experience i have, so i explained what i had done and included the work i had done for them…The reply i got was " Ohhh, we can only put you on class 2 to start with as your new and due to insurance purposes". Now as it stands, i can live with that as anything which is going to build my experience base I am happy with, but then i was told they would deem me fit to drive class 1 (after already driving for them),…so, at which point are THEY going to come out and give me an assesment on my driving skills ■■?

I smiled, said yes and moved on to the next agency…

I arrived at the second agency, had a chat with the staff, did the required paper work and asked would i be on class 2 to start â– â– ?, the reply i got was " You have a class 1 licence and we have class 1 work, so why put you on class 2 â– â– ? "

So as it stands I start a couple of weeks class 1 with the 2nd agency on Monday :slight_smile:

As people may already know on here, i still class my self as relativley inexperienced, however I am confident in my own abilities but I am willing to listen and learn from people…(reversings still a sod though :slight_smile: )

But who would be in the right ? the first agency or the second ? OR neither ?

This is not a whinge or a gripe, but I am curious to what you guys think ?..and if nothing else, i have work on monday :smiley:

Don’t admit you’ve got a HIAB if you have one - otherwise you’ll be pushed into C work all the time, having been taken off any C+E to do it. People say I obsess about money, but who wants to effectively be demoted for having an EXTRA qualification?

One day, the industry will get the message. you pay MORE for the extra qualification, not LESS by a pay structure like C+E = Base+£2.00ph HIAB = Base +0.50ph leaving you £1.50ph out of pocket!

Welcome to the great unwashed. If you have spent any time on this forum you will have seen that agencies are not held in high regard. I went through the same thing in 99 and quickly found out that they will tell you what suits them. The first agency will ring you for class1 when they need someone/anyone to fill the job. The second will ring you with whatever needs filling at the time. As you are new you will feel obliged to take anything they throw at you. None of them will mind ringing you at all times of the day or night, any day. They will also cancel on you at a moments notice. Take whatever you feel like doing at the time, it’s all experience in the end. Always ask how much the job pays, if you don’t they may just surprise you. Look for the full time opportunity, if that’s what you want, all the time. Good luck.

Cheers for the replies,

After sending my CV to Maritime a few weeks ago, I recieved a phone call this morning asking if I am still looking for work :slight_smile:
Only problem is I am still tied to the Army till november (ish) :frowning:

Still, they agreed to keep me on the list the same as a certain Haulage firm with a red and green livery who people don’t seem to like on here :smiley: lol

So it would appear that my CV is alright and hopefully ticking the right boxes with people, but for the next few weeks or so, i will be with an agency…But then again, its all experience !

Grundril:
Cheers for the replies,

After sending my CV to Maritime a few weeks ago, I recieved a phone call this morning asking if I am still looking for work :slight_smile:
Only problem is I am still tied to the Army till november (ish) :frowning:

Still, they agreed to keep me on the list the same as a certain Haulage firm with a red and green livery who people don’t seem to like on here :smiley: lol

So it would appear that my CV is alright and hopefully ticking the right boxes with people, but for the next few weeks or so, i will be with an agency…But then again, its all experience !

apparently talking to a ex driver of the firm that shall not be named :unamused: they are big into takeing ex forces drivers on…

Hi mate, I’m in the same position as yourself (redundancy). Just ask for a C.O. Interview, get permission to work on leave its an insurance issue with MOD, they will not refuse you on redundancy. Hope it help. P.S. Must have got the same letter as you from the green and red lot, hell it’s a start!

@ Terriers,

I have heard that as well from my mate who left the forces after 22 years, he did 7 years with Stobarts and thouroughly enjoyed it, he dd say they like ex forces as they tend to just get on with it without asking questions…Bit like the Army then :slight_smile:

@ Stevemac

Anythings okay with me as a start :slight_smile: Mind you trying to get anything from our lot let alone a CO’s interview is like trying to get blood from a stone lol :smiley:

To be completely honest mate, as long as your paying tax on both jobs no one will care. I been doing agency for about a year now when on leave to prepare for the move, and I haven’t ask permission. Would like to see then try and charge me after been made redundant !!!